Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.ruger-firearms.com/LCP/

I love my S&W .38 scandium J frame. That and my model 66 are definitly my two go to weapons. The Beretta Tomcat lasted about 5-6 years for carry and a SS J frame before that.

This .38 auto however may bear consideration. Ruger LCP was reviewed on Gunblast very favorably. To me it looks truly inovative compared to Sig. .38 (too long) and Makarov (too Russian). Does anyone have any expereince with this?

·
Registered
126 Posts
I know there is a recall on them but I do not know for what. they are very small, a true pocket gun and very light. Good thing with ruger is they will fix the problem....

John

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
the recall is for a may fire if dropped problem,I'm waiting for them to pick mine up now.it's a free fix and they are giving me a free magazine and grip extender for my trouble.I like the gun,it's undetectable in a fronts pants pocket but it is a kicking son of a gun when fired

·
Registered
647 Posts
Kel-Tec's don't go off when dropped, I guess Ruger didn't totally rip the design off :D: You had to know it was coming!!! I am liking the ruger, I like the slide lock feature, The Kel-Tec does not have that feature. Hope they get the problem fixed although I have had zero problems with my Kel-Tec.

Tbull:cool:

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I saw the gun dropped on Gunblast as part of a test. The old model with Stainless barrel indented the primer after a drop. Pretty scary for a carry gun to have such a blatent defect. The new model with black barrel does not have this problem. Also as show on Gunblast. I'm sure the kick is wicked, but damn it is small, light and I'll bet a pleasure to carry but a bear to shoot. Scandium vs. plastic..... I'm going to look into this further. Yes, TBull55, Kel Tec is similar. Never really looked at a Kel Tec product before.

·
Happiness is 2 at low 8
1,403 Posts
I saw the gun dropped on Gunblast as part of a test. The old model with Stainless barrel indented the primer after a drop. Pretty scary for a carry gun to have such a blatent defect. The new model with black barrel does not have this problem. Also as show on Gunblast. I'm sure the kick is wicked, but damn it is small, light and I'll bet a pleasure to carry but a bear to shoot. Scandium vs. plastic..... I'm going to look into this further. Yes, TBull55, Kel Tec is similar. Never really looked at a Kel Tec product before.
The Ruger LCP is an almost identical copy of the proven Kel-Tec design. Is one better than the other, probably not. I suspect the Ruger's fit and finish is a bit nicer, but the 2 kel-tec .380's I own and carry (one at a time) have always gone BANG when I've pulled the trigger. The Kel-Tecs have been available on the market since mid-2003 (that's when I got my first Kel-Tec .380), that's 5 years with a proven record. The Ruger LCP is a "johnny come lately" to the scene. Which gun do you want to trust your life to???

Allan - yeah, I like Kel-Tec products

·
Registered
647 Posts
I agree with Birdman. I have also had mine for about 3 years, I think! It always shoots! The recoil is not much to worry about on the Kel-Tec, but I usually don't have a problem with recoil. I love mine with the crimson trace laser added.

Tbull:cool:

·
Registered
437 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have a LCP. I love it. Have put over 300 rounds through it with no problems. All different loads and manufacturers - no problems.

I have mine set to go back for the recall. Am I worried it will go off if dropped - no. I've had my CCW for over a year now and have never come close to dropping a weapon. Can any weapon under imperfect circumstances go off - of course they can. Most of the time it is due to a user induced malfunction. The LCP doesn't have a safety - so absolutely it is going to be more suseptible to accidentally going off. Just have to show common sense when handling firearms.

Basically only sending mine back for the extra mag with the extension. I'll just be carrying my S&W 2" snubby as a back up for about two weeks. Oh but wait - it doesn't have a safety either and can go off it dropped. :D:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts