Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Outdoorsman
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of purchasing a Ruger Blackhack Convertible in .357/9mm. My thought was that it was a single platform which would allow me to fire 3 common calibers of ammunition. (.357, .38 and 9mm) Does anyone out there have any experience with them? How do they stack up?

-D

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have the 9mm/357 and the 45lc/45acp. They work great, but I wouldn't want to rely on a single action revolver for combat/self defense. YMMV.

·
Outdoorsman
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree with you and have a Hi-Power, a couple 1911s and a Glock for those purposes. Is there any truth to the rumors I have heard of the .357/9mm version being innacurate when firing the 9mm?

·
Happiness is 2 at low 8
1,403 Posts
I have the .357/9mm version. The reason for the inaccuracy is that the .357 and .38 bullets are .357" in diameter and the barrel reflects that. The 9mm round is .355" and therefore does not grasp the rifling as well. Whether or not your gun shoots the 9mm well comes down to the actual diameter of your barrel. Don't expect great things. On the other hand I've had no problem with "keyholing" either. For hunting or serious target shooting, stick with the .38/.357 cylinder. If you're plinking at tin cans, then the 9mm is fine.

Allan - usually I use the 9mm cylinder to get the idea across to a newbie about how the weight of the gun tames recoil (i.e. shoot a light 9mm pistol and then the Blackhawk)

·
Registered
345 Posts
I never did have very good luck with mine. Plus you are shooting a really light bullet in a gun probably set up for full house heavy bullet magnum loads, so it tends to be low.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts