Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have 2 in 5.56. 1 takes ar mags 1 takes ruger factory mags. The short barrel makes it handy to carry around in my ranger when working on the farm. And the are more accurate than I am.

·
That'll be the day...
3,418 Posts
I have the Ruger American in a .270 Win and love that rifle.

I also have a 7.62x39 in the Howa Mini and love that rifle.

I can't imagine that I wouldn't love an RA-Ranch in 7.62.

·
Gold memba-золот&#10
587 Posts
I have one in 5.56 in ar mag configuration. I like mine. It's compact, relatively light, good action design. It's plenty accurate for what it is - routinely get 3.5-4" clusters at 200 with off the shelf xm193. Haven't played with better projectiles yet, have it since April of last year. My only wishes are that the stock had a bit more vertical grip for easier trigger control from prone and if there was an option in stainless steel. If there was, I would get another one. No, I didn't experience any excessive rust problems, if you are wondering.

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
I'm thinking of getting one in .300BLK or 7.62x39. How do you like yours?

I'm also interested in an extended picatinny rail. Does anybody make such a thing that will fit this rifle?
Some of our group members have just recently moved here on my property . One brought along his little Ruger chambered in 7.62x39mm.

1. Very compact and light weight.
2. Threaded muzzle
3. Trigger
4. Uses Mini30 mags.

Dislikes:

1. Stock has some over flex too it, but nothing that can't be resolved.

2. No iron sights

3. Bolt knob simply doesn't feel right.

4. Finicky when it comes to ammunition. Not as consistent via cheap metal cased fodder, but shoots 2 American made 7.62x39mm loads very well.

5. No stainless steel version and/ left hand bolt.

Overall, it makes for a decent hunting rifle and a nice companion with an AK.
I don't know of anyone making an extended optics rail, but I would be interested....as the Ruger would make a great suppressor host / dedicated night hunting rifle via TIWS.

11B

795 Posts
Late to the party here.

I had one of the first generation models in 5.56 and had mixed feelings about it.

Pro: cheap
Threaded barrel
Handy
Good trigger
Accurate (half MOA with M193)

Con:
Required factory mags at $40 a pop.
Stock was flimsy
Stock geometry made it awkward to use the scope
No iron sights

I ended up selling it before I moved, and I don’t really regret it. I have an AR that is better in pretty much every way.

·
Registered
8,221 Posts
I went to town today and visited my favorite privately owned business , held both the RAR in both 5.56 and 7.62 and am intrigued to say the least. Thinking about Christmas for the kids. I'm Not giving up the 582 series MINI-14 or my 1911 if the zombies come however. LOL! I wonder how much aftermarket stuff is out there for customizing either one?

·
Have gun will travel
796 Posts
I chose the Predator model for varmint/predator hunting in 5.56. Love it. ATN nite vision and SilencerCo Saker 5.56 gets it done for sure. Sub M.O.A. with match/reloads.
If I find a deal on the Ranch model in X39 I'm gonna scoop it. Sold several out of the G.S. I work at and all positive reports.

·
Registered
8,221 Posts
I chose the Predator model for varmint/predator hunting in 5.56. Love it. ATN nite vision and SilencerCo Saker 5.56 gets it done for sure. Sub M.O.A. with match/reloads.
If I find a deal on the Ranch model in X39 I'm gonna scoop it. Sold several out of the G.S. I work at and all positive reports.
Correct me if I am wrong are there not 2 models one that takes Ruger Mags and 1 takes AR/M-4 mags?

795 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong are there not 2 models one that takes Ruger Mags and 1 takes AR/M-4 mags?
All models (with the exception of the 450BM and 7.62x39) take AR mags now. The 450BM takes a proprietary mag, and teh x39 uses mini-30 mags.:thumb:

·
Comic, not your lawyer!
14,035 Posts
I scored a Ruger American (.270) in a favorable trade and was very very impressed with the design and quality for a very inexpensive rifle.

For the right price I wouldn't hesitate on one in a intermediate chambering that accepted military mags.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
15,595 Posts
I'm thinking of getting one in .300BLK or 7.62x39. How do you like yours?

I'm also interested in an extended picatinny rail. Does anybody make such a thing that will fit this rifle?
I thought about it. I already own a couple Ruger mini-30 carbines, and figured the bolt would be more accurate.
Then I mounted a fixed power Leupold to my mini-30, and found it shot better than most people.

·
Registered
8,281 Posts
I have a Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle.
It has by far the worst action I've ever handled on a bolt action rifle.

It is impossible to work the bolt from the shoulder. There's just too much slop in how the bolt rides in the receiver.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts