1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Bush Walker
4,037 Posts
auto bolt release and bolt buffer

those 2 right away

then put 2000 rounds through it and see how you like the trigger

lighten the trigger pull if you want

then put another 2000 rounds through it.

only after all that are you allowed to go dressin' it up all fancy with the pretty stock options that you probably want to do right away ;)

·
Bush Walker
4,037 Posts
ive got 2 of my own and just built the littlelady one for her birthday - best .22 rifle out there! and HENRY is a close 2nd for sure - need to get a large loop carbine lever action from them next year

·
Banned
6,146 Posts
in order of importance

bolt buffer
hogue overmolded stock
USGI web sling
tech sights
auto bolt release

magazines magazines magazines

modification to owner - attend Appleseeds unless you're on step 7 already

·
Bush Walker
4,037 Posts
in order of importance

bolt buffer
hogue overmolded stock
USGI web sling
tech sights
auto bolt release

magazines magazines magazines

modification to owner - attend Appleseeds unless you're on step 7 already

no no no - no need for a stock upgrade, and then even a specific one you suggest that YOU love

the guy needs to do a bolt buffer and auto bolt release mods and shoot about 5000 rounds to see how his rifle is before farting around with different stocks

just cause its pretty doesnt mean it shoots well(or he shoots well yet)

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
volquartsen trigger group with reicever buffer (a glue stick works for a buffer)

a bull barrel and a extended mag release really helps out as it puts it by the trigger guard and its not suc an effort to hit the button

Reactions: wtr100

·
Banned
6,146 Posts
no no no - no need for a stock upgrade, and then even a specific one you suggest that YOU love

the guy needs to do a bolt buffer and auto bolt release mods and shoot about 5000 rounds to see how his rifle is before farting around with different stocks

just cause its pretty doesnt mean it shoots well(or he shoots well yet)

hogue ovemolded? pretty? :rolleyes: have you seen them? they're about as plain as vanilla ice cream

stock

1. unless he's a hobbit the base stock is a bit short and the comb is too low to get a cheekweld (you know what a cheekweld is?)

2. it's also the least expensive, unmall-ninja stock that can mount the USGI sling. (you know how and why to use a web sling?)

tech sights

1. much better than the stock sighs.
2. easier to get a good sight picture
3. esaier to zero (especailly if you know clicks, minutes and inches - you do know clicks, minutes and inches?)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Only changes I made was and extended magazine release, one of the cheap Tapco stocks and a 2 to 8 power scope.

Will change back to the factory wood stock when my daughter gets a little older. The tapco will collapse small enough that the can comfortably shoot the rifle, and I can extend it out for me.

I would shoot it a lot and figure out what way you want to take it. You might like it the way it is in factory configuration.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I added an extended mag release, picatinny rail for mounting various optics and a Choate full length pistol grip stock to mine (it's the same length as my AR with the stock in the #4 position, which is where I put it 99% of the time when shooting or training with it) and added a sling mount on the left front of the stock. It carries like an M-1 carbine.

I may one day get a 10/22 for target shooting with a bull barrel, over molded stock, etc., but am happy with the mods I've made for the foreseeable future (considering I made them over 20 years ago). I've never seen the need for a recoil buffer as it's a .22lr. I've put well over 50k rounds through that rifle and it's still going strong w/o a buffer.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,439 Posts
Just bought one. I absolutely love it! I am looking to mod it. Any suggestions?
What are you wanting to do to it? There are so many mods available that without knowing what direction you want to take it, I can't suggest any. You can go ultralight, or maximum accuracy, etc. I'm assuming you're after functionality. Some dorks are all about looks and go that direction.

·
Registered
181 Posts
hogs? like wild hogs?
Yes like hogs. They are everywhere here in Florida and are every destructive.

I have a trail camera in my back yard.

These pics are less than 20 feet from the house.

Here are the two I shot last week from inside the house. I was firing from the back bedroom window.

This one measured 42 inches and was about 85 pounds.

This one had only three legs and was about 100 pounds.

Here I am on the trail camera dragging the corpse of the first pig off. I am 5'8" and weigh 225 so you can get a grasp of the size of the pigs.

Both pigs were shot just behind the ears using CCI 40 grain mini mags from about 50 feet or less away. Both pigs literally dropped where they were and kicked their legs a few times and that was all she wrote.

22 LR is a great little round and can take down game like this with ease if the shot is well placed.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Just bought one. I absolutely love it! I am looking to mod it. Any suggestions?
Have a reputable Ruger 'smith do a trigger job. That's job #1.

If you like open sights, get the "Tech sights" commonly found on Appleseed rifles.

If you like glass, put a 4x scope on... or a 2.5x in a "scout" configuration.

Then there's bull barrels, etc.

We had one last night at our Guns Save Life meeting that was a 1MOA rifle with the right ammo. I consider that remarkable given how inconsistent many rimfire cartridges are when it comes to manufacturing.

John

·
Registered
7,198 Posts
Great Rifle

Like others have said Tech Sights. They are a huge improvement over the factory sights.

I removed the plastic barrel band off of mine and cut the stock at the recessed portion where the barrel band sits.

Then I wrapped a socket in sandpaper and enlarged the barrel channel to create a free floating barrel. Stained and applied polyurethane to it.

Good Luck

ETA* I also used a torque driver to secure the screw so that it puts the same amount of pressure on the rifle every time.
I want to say it's at 25 inch/lbs but I have to check my notes to be sure.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts