Survivalist Forum banner

Based on quality only, and not brand bias - Ruger 10/22 or Remington 597?

• Ruger 10/22

Votes: 39 84.8%
  • Remington 597

Votes: 7 15.2%
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Last of the First Line
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm talking about the bone stock plain base model Ruger 10/22 and the bone stock plain base model Remington 597.

Where I am the Ruger is easily $60+ more than the Remington. Is there that much of a difference in quality?

Anybody have major problems with a Remington 597?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I would go with the Ruger as well. I have seen recall notices for the 597's in the NRA Rifleman magazine. I have had 2 Rugers for 15 years and I have'nt had any trouble with either. Pay once,cry once.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I own a 597 and while I have never spent any time with the ruger I LOVE my 597. Got it at cabelas about 2 years with a cheap BSA scope mounted on it and sighted for I think $180ish?

Prob my fav rifle I pop balloons and blow up clays and make cans dance :D:

In all fairness of this review I have had maybe 7-10 failure to fires but I've prob put 1,000 rounds through it and I use whatever is on sale the cheapest I can find period.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I bought one of the early 597's back in the late 90's and it has (and still has) every malfunction you can possible encounter in a gun, it's as if it was designed to suck. I did the updated mag change etc. to no avail. I heard they improved them but don't care to try again, one bad 597 experience was enough.

I also picked up a 10/22 around the same time which has been flawless. One of those timeless designs that just plain work, like the AK or a good pump shotgun.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Never shot the Remington but love my Ruger. I vote for what I know that works. If I shot the Remington and it was better I would change my mind. I am not stuck on my thinking that the Ruger is the best 22 gun, just the best that I have shot so far.

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
I dont know a thing about the Remington. My wife has an older Remington nylon tube fed. Not bad.

I have a 10-22 and like it a lot. With the right ammo its the only gun I need here in Michigan. If I only could take one that would be it.

I have new Marlin 981T bolt action that is much more accurate then the 10-22 . One(10-22) is about 3.5 at 100 yards and the Marlin is about 1.75 at 100 yards. Both are pretty deadly if you ask me. Kingfish

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
I bought my Ruger 10/22 in January 1986, and its still going strong.

what more could you want?

·
Simply, an AMERICAN...
5,477 Posts
Ruger 10/22. :thumb:

I researched all the brands before committing to buy and always came back to the 10/22. (Kev's recommendation long ago on it helped my decision, as well). It eats everything I put in it, and its history speaks for itself.

I also have the Butler Creek mags and they work well in MY gun. Ok, ok...it's "actually" my 12 yr old son's 10/22. lol!

It's a squirrel popper! :D:

·
space samurai
455 Posts
id buy a marlin for the same price as the rem.

i will add that you can mod the 10/22 to be excactly the firearm you want and very accurate, almost as accurate as a volquartzen. it will cost some dough but you can do it.

·
zombie response team
3,188 Posts
my dad had the 10/22, later on i bought the ex a 597 because of the price, both fine weapons but i would choose the 10/22 just because its the 1911 of .22's

·
Registered
48 Posts
The Ruger 10/22 is an icon. There's a reason. It feeds flawlessly, it can be made into anything your heart desires, it's accurate right out of the box, the list goes on and on.

I added a choate folding stock, and xs ghost ring sights to mine. It's a perfect pack rifle (for me).

·
Noob-Lite
479 Posts
I picked up a 597 vtr last year, paid around $300 for it. You would be hard pressed to find a 10/22 for that kind of money decked out with a bull barrel, free float hand guard, pistol grip, A2 stock and BHO. I put a cheap red-dot on it and I couldn't be happier.

hick

·
RESET CONGRESS!!
9,462 Posts
Can't go wrong with either one. I do like the 10-22.
One of my favorite .22s is an old bolt action that I inherited from my dad. It's older then I am (that's old), and it knows how to harvest tin cans, squirrels, and bunnies. My son will inherit it.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts