Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 10 22 a few weeks ago and mounted a middle of the road 4X32 scope on it that I had. I sighted it in last week and while the gun is a hoot to shoot the trigger in my opinion is really stiff. I'm thinking of installing a Volquartsen replacement hammer to improve the trigger feel. Has anyone tried this and found it to be an improvment? I'm also thinking of ditching the scope and going with replacing the iron sights that came with it. I'm partial to peep sights does anyone have any preferences they'd like to share?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Freeholder how far out will you be shooting.
Here in the woods of the northeast 50-70 yards is as far as you can usually see. I plan on using the 22 for small game squirrels woodchucks and such.
I'm just not sure how usefull a scope would be in this situation.

·
Hubris begets Nemesis
7,751 Posts
At 50-70 yards a scope would be very useful if you are hunting small game.

I LIKE shooting open sights but if I had to put meat on the table I'd use a scope instead.

That's why I have another Marlin 60 with glass.

·
RESET CONGRESS!!
9,462 Posts
You're on the right track. A 10-22 with a 4x scope, a red dot, or iron sights, WILL put meat on your table. Buy lots of ammo and practice, practice. A great little rifle. Get to know yours.
No shortage of spare parts and accessories. ..although I have never known anyone to wear one out. Enjoy!

·
Doubts Most Everything
5,618 Posts
I'm thinking of installing a Volquartsen replacement hammer to improve the trigger feel. Has anyone tried this and found it to be an improvment? ...
Yes, I've put the V hammer on both of mine.
Knocks it down to maybe 3 lb pull, big improvement.
Will still have some creep, and won't be like breaking a glass rod or anything, but I found it well worth the price for my shooting pleasure, and pretty easy to install.

- OS

·
Enjoying Life
620 Posts
Freeholder as stated above scope it. I have a 3x9 bushnell on mine zero in a 100 yds. learn the scope and pratice. I bust clay targets at 200 yds all the time off a bench.
and bottle caps at 50 to 100 yds.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
This post just helped me decide to pick up another 10/22 - my old one is from the 70's - it was my first gun.

My old one is all origional except for Tech sights

I am going to pick up a regular one and dress it up.

I love this site

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
I am a huge fan of hunting with iron sights. Right now, I don't have a single centerfire rifle in a stuffed safe that has one on it.

You can be an inch or two off and stil bag a deer. You can't be with squirrel. I have used iron sighted 22lrs to hunt squirrels with great success. However, I have never needed a second shot under 70 yards with a scoped 22lr.

Hunting is a hobby right now. When it's not, I don't want to miss any opportunities.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
I am a huge fan of hunting with iron sights. Right now, I don't have a single centerfire rifle in a stuffed safe that has one on it.

You can be an inch or two off and stil bag a deer. You can't be with squirrel. I have used iron sighted 22lrs to hunt squirrels with great success. However, I have never needed a second shot under 70 yards with a scoped 22lr.

Hunting is a hobby right now. When it's not, I don't want to miss any opportunities.
But me bucko, me laddie buck, your still young and full of vim and vigour not to mention fair eyesight...Get to be 45+ and it starts to go...A L L my hunting guns that used to have receiver sights are all now wearing Holo/Red Dot sights unless they could be fitted easily with a scope in a top (not side) mount.

For a rimfire the variable ideal is a 2-7x with a 3-9x (3.5-10x same thing) secondary and a 6x for a fixed power...The longest shot you'll take with that .22 LR is 100 to 125 yds on a rabbit or such like animal--a 7x magnification would be like viewing the animal at 15 yds or so with the naked eye...You don't need 52+mm dioptic lenses and the shorter scopes looks more in keeping to such short actions.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts