Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
I am thinking about purchasing the ruger 10/22 and would appreciate any tips or anything else you can share.
Thanks,
RugerDude

·
7.62x39
239 Posts
This will prolly get bounced to the firearms forums but either way.

10/22s are great rifles. Very reliable (especially with factory magazines instead of the aftermarkets). They are highly customizeable for whatever you want from target to hunting to show, etc.
They are very accurate from what I have seen and done with mine, even in the factory configuration.
Fun guns to shoot, ammo is the cheapest you can find out there. The ammo is light so you can carry a ton of it on your person or in cans in a bug out situation.

I think 10/22s should hold a spot in most kits for outdoorsmen, preppers, survivalists, etc.

·
90/10 headed for 95/5
7,665 Posts
Reactions: RugerDude

·
Elitist Gun Snob
1,365 Posts
The only complaint I have is on the quality of aftermarket accessories. Other than Butler Creek 25 round magazines, I've done nothing to mine, and wouldn't change a thing on it. I don't like the quality of aftermarket accessories offered, and kind of wish there was a higher end company producing stuff. Volquartson makes triggers and other mechanical parts, but I wouldn't want to change the integrity of the original design.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
It's not everybody's cup of tea, but I changed out the stock on mine for a Tapco, and could not be happier.

If you get hi-cap mags, I recommend the steel lips from Butler, the Eagle mags and others with plastic lips are worthless IMO, and stay far, far away from the 50 round drum mags. Also, invest in the mag loader from Butler, saves your thumbs.

·
school kid
47 Posts
when i got my 50 round clip, out of the box it had problems feeding so i grinned the lips to be the same as the mag that i had ( 10 round) and after that it feed fine. it wasnt that hard to do i am only 16. so if you do get the 50 round clip be ready to do some work

·
Registered
148 Posts
The 10/22 is, IMO, a terrific rifle, in either its original configuration or in modified configuration. Many aftermarket parts are available for those who want to "improve" it. I took mine and put on a GM barrel, Kidd trigger and Hogue stock. It shoots much better than the original and maintains its reliability.

·
Idaho Mountain Man
401 Posts
Buy 2 of the stainless models with synthetic stock. Excellent survival guns.

·
Registered
288 Posts
i used to shoot off a 500 case every weekend through one as a kid, and i can say that they are great, but some ammo jams it. it takes round nose bullets. the hollow points that have the tapered ends won't work very well because they jam. and when they jam they will wear your aftermarket mags lips faster. thats the other thing. if you buy the 50 rd aftermarket mags, be sure to get the ones with metal lips on them. for some reason they cost about double, but it is worth it. also, like most mags, dont leave them loadedfor too long. other than that, they are my great, andmy favotire 22.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
i have had one since 1975, and its been used hard. boat, dogsled snowmachine, winter summer. I like it.
Easy to clean, the load/unlaod is way better than a tubular magazine.

I think it has about the worst trigger on an gun i ever had, but then I never upgraded it either.

10/22 and marlin 60 are THE .22 rifles.

·
I drink your milkshake!
1,021 Posts
I found American Eagle ammo was crap and failed 30% - 50% of the time. I switched to CCI Blazer, in my SS / Synthetic and its great.

I would encourage anyone to buy one, since I have learned more about target shooting and handling firearms with my .22 than other guns (best bang for the buck).

·
BEEN HERE TO LONG
1,336 Posts
i realy dont think a 10/22 is for a beginer just my way of thinking but i love mine after changing some parts.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts