Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Set Free
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a high capacity mag for my 10/22.They are available locally for me but they have a plastic receiver and I dont want plastic as I have heard neg info on them wearing out and alot of jams .What are my options? I see that there is a 50 rnd drum has anyone here used one? does it have a plastic receiver? What about the unit that combines 3 factory mags for a 30 round capacity? Steel lips is supposed to have a metal receiver but is it reliable. Anyone have info on this? I am not wanting to be a mall ninja , I just want to plink easily without alot of reloading of the 10 round mags.

Thanks for your help , sorry if this a repetitive thread.

·
Land of the free my....
2,631 Posts
Definitely a good price on the steel lips. My dad recently purchased one at a retail store and paid close to 40.00. So if you don't have to have it right now, then I'd go with CDNN.

Craig

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,439 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean about a magazine having a plastic receiver. But the Steel Lips mags have had a good reputation for years now. Also, Tactical Solutions makes a top notch mag that is adjustable for maximum performance. Unfortunately they're a bit pricey.

·
Camper #9
514 Posts
Any Butler Creek mag will work well. I have thrown away several others made by other firms. I have four steel lip mags made by a company called Condor that work well, but I think they've been out of business for 20 years. I have Butler Creek hot lip and steel lip mags and both work just fine. I've had the hot lip (plastic feed lips) for decades and used them in several 10-22's without a hitch with cci ammo. Recently bought a bunch of Steel lip mags on sale for $7.99 each. They limited the quantity to 3 per transaction, but didn't limit the number of transactions. The steel lip mags are great too, and function without a miss, but I haven't worn out any of my hot lip mags yet. I've been using them for a long time, but I have about 20 of them so perhaps none have gotten the cycles necessary to wear out. In any case I have almost 20 of the Steelies waiting in reserve.

I really like the tri-mag set up too. I like it a lot. Keeps 30 rounds handy and compact. A little clumsey at first, but with practice you can rotate it pretty fast. I have a mag release the comes to the rear of the trigger guard on one of my 10-22's that really helps with this. Can't remember the name of the release, but they are common, and colorful if you choose.

Hope this helps. Good shooting.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
The only good thing thing about the old ones from Eagle with plastic head was that they floated long enough to blast the crap out of them.

·
Tuefel Hunden
1,572 Posts
huh?

I've never had a mag with plastic that works.
For here, and out at the camp or with the B-scouts, we use the plastic Butlercreek 25 rounders. They work great and are plentiful and cheap. They keep working easily with spray silicone. We have around a 150 and have only had 1 or 2 that would absolutely fail, most failure was ammo related and not the mag not wanting to feed! Small hole drilled where the spring coils up and a squirt of spray and they work! Have have a dozen that we always loaded around Y2K and they work great still. At 8$ used and 12-13.99$ new they are awesome! The steel lips feed the same as the plastic lips here, and they both work great!

BC will take back any that don't work, and/or replace them too!

·
Doubts Most Everything
5,618 Posts
...Butlercreek 25 rounders. ...They keep working easily with spray silicone. ... Small hole drilled where the spring coils up and a squirt of spray and they work! ..
I have 4 of the steel lipped. They already have a hole in the bottom you can use for the silicone spray treatment.

- OS

·
67,439 Posts
Might be better off trying graphite in the mags, rather the silicone. That's the normal lubricant for plastic mags and it isn't wet. .22s are notoriously lacking when it comes to being sealed against liquids.

·
67,439 Posts
Silicone spray dries quickly, a minute or two.
Only seems to be needed every 500-1000 rounds.

- OS
Ahh, I didn't know that. The only silicone spray I had ever used left behind a wet silicone film. Since all I have on hand is graphite, has anyone tried it to compare with silicone?

·
Doubts Most Everything
5,618 Posts
Ahh, I didn't know that. The only silicone spray I had ever used left behind a wet silicone film. Since all I have on hand is graphite, has anyone tried it to compare with silicone?
Well, being graphite, it's kind of dirty, so I've never used it for anything.

- OS

1 - 20 of 22 Posts