Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Hippie with a Mac-11
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a steel-lipped 10/22 mag at Big 5 for something like 12 bucks the other day, thinking it was a good deal (also thinking it was hi-cap).
After nearly throwing my speed loader away (it was also new, thought it didn't work) I noticed that there is this bar in the mag that is below the spring type thing that prevents it from loading any more than ten rounds.
It seems you could gently punch or drill a hole in the bottom and take the thing out.
I don't know what brand it is, I thought it was Butler Creek, its the same size and snaps together with one. There are no markings on it.

Does anyone have experience with these?

·
Doubts Most Everything
5,618 Posts
Ruger threw away many fortunes over the years by not making high cap mags for the 10/22.

But now that they finally do, they did it right -- no use depending on any other brand.

- OS

·
Scout Motto - Be Prepared
1,618 Posts
If I want to use a 10rd mag, I use the Ruger factory flush ones. They are nice because you can benchrest (to sight in) without the mag getting in your way. Same thing with 5 round mags for AK's and 10rd mags for AR's.

·
Registered
284 Posts
The steel lips butler creek ones still work great for me, i can't remember the last time i had a jam. Even though it doesn't feel like the magazine locks in super tight, it feeds and shoots flawlessly. All 4 of them.

·
Doubts Most Everything
5,618 Posts
The steel lips butler creek ones still work great for me, i can't remember the last time i had a jam. Even though it doesn't feel like the magazine locks in super tight, it feeds and shoots flawlessly. All 4 of them.
My BC steelies have worked quite well also, though have needed to flush them and spray with silicone lube every now and again.

But the Ruger ones are dynamite -- they come apart for cleaning if necessary.

- OS

·
Human bean of planet Urf
4,863 Posts
It seems you could gently punch or drill a hole in the bottom and take the thing out.
You're not out much by trying. It's worth a shot. One thing, though....if you're talking rolled spring instead of coiled, by pushing more rounds into the mag than it was built for might push that spring past its end on the top anchor thingy. The spring might be limited in length to ten rounds, too, I mean.

Wow! What was that, ten or twelve posts that totally ignored your entire question? Typical.

rich

·
Registered
229 Posts
Personally I found that the BX-1's are my favorite. I tried a few aftermarket mags (BX25's are not available in Canada) but I look at it as size of mag vs. capacity.

The BX-1 10 round flush mag is very small and holds 10 rounds. Every banana mag out there is way bigger but doesn't hold proportionally the same amount of bullets for size.

I like loading up a bunch of the bx-1's then put them in my pocket and change them out when empty. Hold a lot of bullets, quick to change out, takes up very little space.

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I'm buying two more BX-25s tomorrow. I remember in the early/mid 90's when the Clinton assult weaopns ban went though. You could hardly find high capacity 10/22 magazines and when you could, they were extremely expensive. Seems like I recall plastic magazines selling for upwards of $65-$75.

DL

1 - 13 of 13 Posts