Survivalist Forum banner

ROTC?

2917 28
I have the grades and ACT scroes to get a full ROTC scholarship more than likely, and definitely get a very large portion of my college payed at the least, but i have some doubts....

I have noticed that almost everyone who is anyone in the military is a west pointe grad. so what would be the point in doing ROTC if there isnt really much of a chance for far advancement in a military career?

Even ROTC programs are mostly run by West Pointe graduates. If ROTC leaders are as good as valuable as West Pointe graduates and are supposed to be the best, like all their stuff says, why are they never anywhere near the top?

Seeing all this has really made me think twice about ROTC...
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1,553 Posts
I had really planned on doing ROTC, doing a few tours of duty to prove myself as a leader, then climbing the ranks as high as i could!

So im really disappointed Iraq is closing and Afghanistan will wind down before i get out there. That means i will just be another waste of tax payer dollars that will sit around and not get used.

I want to do something big with my life, and you just cant do that pushing paper around in an office some where, know what i mean?
Don't make the assumption that if you don't get to Iraq or Afghanistan all you would be doing is pushing papers. It all depends on your military specialty. Go into a combat position or a few select others, make your goal special units and you will stay busy, even in "peacetime". I lost a lot of friends on "training missions" in places you never heard of during peacetime.

· Registered
1,553 Posts
Thank you all for the advice. But another question if it isn't too much trouble. For those of you who did ROTC, how did it actually prepare you to lead men and not get them killed?

I guess the real question is; what can i do to prepare myself to lead men and do what needs to be done, and not just get a bunch of people killed my first time out.

I just want to make sure i do it right.
Take advantage of every training opportunity you can, listen to your NCOs but be able to make your own decision, put your troops before yourself.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.