Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Hunter-gatherer
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got about 40 gallons of water that needs to be rotated out (my first rotation since starting to stock). Anything from 6 months to 1 year is going, but I can't just dump it down the drain. What do you guys think would be the best way to use it? It's winter time here now and altho it's been a warm winter I know freezing temps are gonna make a come-back before spring, so I don't want to use it to re-fill the rain barrels. What other ideas would be good?

·
Capability, not scenarios
12,030 Posts
Wait until spring and use it to refill the rain barrels.

If you have some non-potable-water containers you could also store it in there, so you could use it for flushing toilets. Even 5-gallon buckets would work.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I have a similar question....I have 6 cases of bottled water,I've had it about a year.....it's kept in the basement,out of light in a cool dry place.
What would you use to filter it with?

·
In memory of Rokitdog
14,951 Posts
I have a similar question....I have 6 cases of bottled water,I've had it about a year.....it's kept in the basement,out of light in a cool dry place.
Contrary to mainstream beliefs, bottled water does not go bad. It might inherit the tastes of things it is stored near since the plastic is porous, it should not have any harmful bacteria in it unless opened! Many threads here on the subject!

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
It should last forever you shouldnt have to worry to much about it. The only worry would be the chemical leeching into the water from the plastic. Its up to you if you think this is a problem or not. Some say yes might give you cancer someday other say its not a big deal. The only way to filter chemicals is with a carbon filter.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I change out my water every Fall. I have 150 gallons in the garage. Never freezes but gets toasty in the summer.

I just pour it out on the front lawn. Then I let my portable containers air dry for a couple days and sanitize my drum with a bleach solution.

After the SHTF is not the time to get sick!!!! :xeye:

·
Totally off grid
2,882 Posts
I have water in my 2 2500 gallon tanks that has been there for over a year. We use it daily and have no issues.

·
Hunter-gatherer
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I used to rotate mine in spring and fall by using it in the garden and on the lawn.
That's the best idea I had at first, but when I started going through it I found a couple containers leaking. THAT'S the main reason I want to rotate it all. I have it stored in milk jugs and pop containers that I washed, bleached and kept stored in a dark cool spot in my basement. I've read over and over not to trust the milk jugs for more than 6 months because they're made to degrade fairly quickly. I'm a little hesitant to wait till spring for fear of springing a leak in one near the back and ending up with a bunch of mold all over everything in another 2-3 months. The polycarbonate bottles I'll keep for a year at a time then I just plan on emptying and refilling. A few near the front look like they were a little too close to a window and may have a little mold growing in them. I know I can just re-bleach these and they'll be fine.

·
Registered
14,867 Posts
And stupid sarcasm is in such short supply your is so needed.........
Don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid replies. Easy enough.

What kind of replies were you expecting? Here I will appease you with ridiculous replies:

"Start and stock a fish pond"

"Donate it to the Red Cross for a tax write off"

"Start your own water park"

"Ship it to Africa to save a dying child"

"Refill your radiator"

"Pour it into a pot hole and watch it make a big splash"

"Set it outdoors and start a mosquito farm"

"Buy a bag of apples, pour the water into a pale, and bob for them. The prize could be the apple and some water to drink."

"Do science experiments with your kids"

Okay I hope you are happier now.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts