Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Ding... Thanks for playin
4,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tips/Tricks

from Lawofficer.com

Give your magazine springs a break now and again by rotating the magazines and ammo. (Photo Tim Dees)​
Anonymous
2008 May 14

Rotating Ammo

Avoid feeding failures

• <LI class=author>Anonymous
  • 2008 May 14
An officer should have enough magazines on hand to rotate ammo on a one or two week basis to give the springs in the magazine a rest break. Failure to do so will result in feeding failures. I found this out the hard way at the range, thankfully not on the street.
When the magazine springs for your firearms give up the ghost, don't throw that magazine away. Brownells sells replacement magazine springs and keeps your costs down for maintaining your firearm. I have six magazines of different makes for my duty handgun. I discovered that all six were very different in the springs. Six new high power springs from Brownells made all 6 magazines equal. There are many other reputable gun accessory vendors that can supply these and other items to keep you ready for the street.

Reactions: resolver

·
Dangerous Old Man
997 Posts
The more you work a spring the more likely a failure.
Try bending a piece of wire back and forth...it will break. So will springs.
I leave my mags topped off for months on end and have yet to have a failure.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Thats a bunch of crap. First of all, the science is not behind that at all. Second of all, my dad and I have both had mags loaded for years and had no problems with them.

My dad has had a Walther PPK mag loaded in the gun for 20 YEARS, shot it not too long ago... no problems.

·
Registered
589 Posts
It's false. It is the constant loading and unloading which will wear the springs out. I've kept three Glock 19 and three AK-47 magazines loaded for the past few years and they always work.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Instead of buying new springs just take out the spring and stretch it abit.
Never stretch your springs!

You will be fine leaving your mags loaded. I have always done this and have never had them fail. Mag springs are engineered to take the pressure of the amount of ammo your mag is supposed to hold.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts