Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Major League Infidel
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all Any one ever shoot a rossi 357 mag. I was looking at one at my local gun shop. Its a 6 shot. I hear there not a bad pistol (i think Rossi is owned by Tarus) ... I've always liked 357 mags and used to shoot my dads Ruger sp101 5 shot 357. The rossi is going for like 299. Which i thought wasnt bad and the fact that it holds 6 rounds was a plus. I had nice houge grips too! let me know what you guys think... I dont want to spend 500 or more on a Ruger 357... for that much I'd rather get a glock or XD. Thanks in Advance.

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
I'd buy a $200-$250 S&W model 10 first...

Rossi had it''s up's and downs. Some years quality was very good... other years ****ty.

I bought a Mint Ruger Security six in a Paun shop for $199.99...

Keep looking.

·
Doubts Most Everything
5,618 Posts
Taurus did indeed buy Rossi, but they are still produced at the original, separate factories; really, except for ownership, Rossi firearms are the same as they were.

Which is to say, along with Taurus and Charter Arms, they make up the "second tier" in revolver quality, compared to Ruger and S&W.

They are for the most part, reliable enough, but just not likely as durable.
If you can't afford a Smith or Ruger, consider Charter, so at least your bucks go for an American made product.

- OS

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have the Rossi 2" 357 mag in Stainless - the R462 SS. I like it. It's lightweight and I know it works. I carry it as a boot gun backup to my XD40 or S&W 686, depending on which I feel like carrying that morning.

I have put a lot of rounds through it (well a lot for a revolver that just needs to be proven to work). I wouldn't go buying one and expect to shoot it continuously for practice. If you want something like that, get a S&W or Ruger, but as a pure 6 shot backup that doesn't get fired real often - it works great.

·
Registered
7 Posts
hey all Any one ever shoot a rossi 357 mag. I was looking at one at my local gun shop. Its a 6 shot. I hear there not a bad pistol (i think Rossi is owned by Tarus) ... I've always liked 357 mags and used to shoot my dads Ruger sp101 5 shot 357. The rossi is going for like 299. Which i thought wasnt bad and the fact that it holds 6 rounds was a plus. I had nice houge grips too! let me know what you guys think... I dont want to spend 500 or more on a Ruger 357... for that much I'd rather get a glock or XD. Thanks in Advance.
Flyboy, I got one a couple of months ago for my lovely bride who has never shot anything before. It's a model 971, 4" barrel, blued. I like shooting it, and it seems like it's good enough quality. I bought some .357s to try out, .38 spl for the bride and some .38 +P JHP for her for home defense. She thought shooting the .38 spl was OK, but didn't like the recoil of the .357s.
You should do a google search on Rossi revolvers. Apparently some years ago they weren't so hot, but it seems that now that Taurus owns them the quality has improved. We've only put about 75 rounds through ours so far, but it seems like a good gun.

·
The end is near.
1,376 Posts
I used to own one and I had no trouble with it. It was a stainless Rossi snub nose revolver in .357.

Know what the worst thing about it was, the absolute worst? My ex wife got it in the divorce years ago and I haven't seen it since. It never even bothered to write me to tell me how it was holding up. No phone calls. Nothing.:mad::mad:
I say those two deserve each other!

Ok, I'm over it now. Back to the point of the post. My Rossi .357 worked fine for me---back when it was still mine. It never gave me any trouble and the .357 is one of my favorite rounds to shoot. .22LR is my favorite due to the price and non-fatiguing kicklessness of it. (Yea I know, kicklessness is not a real word. But it should be.)

That's about all I can tell you about it. I don't know how it would have held up if I had fired a ton of ammo through it. I just know that the few times I took it to the range it worked fine and I enjoyed it. Let us know how you like it if you get it.

·
Go to guy
661 Posts
I own a Rossi M885 357 2" and have shot thousands of rounds through it without any problems. I think that I paid $150 for it about seven years ago and it has treated me well.

·
I help enlighten folks
16,624 Posts
I have a Rossi .44 Sp. No problems. I don't see why anyone would it isn't a good gun so far.

·
Michigan Gun Nut
801 Posts
Most Rossi's have bad triggers and quality is iffy from gun to gun. Ditto taurus. Get an old S&W or a Ruger or a Colt.

·
Go to guy
661 Posts
Don't forget that every maker has batches with problems. Some just have a better QA program that pulls them quicker.

·
The Maker
1,679 Posts
my girlfriend has the rossi 2" .357 magnum. She has put about 1000 rounds through it so far and we have never had a problem with it. i am not saying that you do not have other better options but there is nothing wrong with the gun. it just so happens we went gun shopping and she held a lot of guns and the rossi was the one that felt most comfortable to her so that is the one we got for her and she has never regretted it. but i think PAGUY is right because i have heard of people having problems with them so it might be hit or miss.

·
Banned
97 Posts
Unless you are purchasing a S&W made PRIOR to 1990 (18+ years ago), their quality is NO BETTER than Rossi OR Taurus. As a matter of fact, the MIM parts in SOME S&W firearms made after 1990 are much worse than the machined parts inside of either a Rossi or Taurus. I've disassembled enough of them to know.

We own both Rossi and Taurus. In .357 mag, both 2" and 4" revolvers. My wife is flat deadly with either barrel length. And it's quality is spot on.

Being a retired gunsmith, I can tell you the price they are asking is right on the money, FOR TODAY'S CURRENT FIREARMS CLIMATE. By that I mean, prices are through the roof. At the gun show I was working two weekends ago, for the first time in over 12 years the fire marshall closed the doors because we exceeded the building capacity. And people stood outside in a line that wrapped half way around the building, waiting patiently to get in. And they were buying almost everything not nailed down. I had a really good weekend and I was selling military surplus metal and plastic chests, not firearms.

Many places literally can't get firearms back in stock after selling their inventory. After speaking with a person I know in S&W customer service, they said they would run three shifts if they could get people who would put out good quality firearms. Apparently people who KNOW HOW to make firearms are becoming a hot commodity these days.

Buy the Rossi. You will NOT be disappointed. As a matter of fact, the prices quoted for S&W and Ruger are out of date.

If someone can pick up a S&W for $200, ask them WHERE YOU can get this firearm. You will hear a lot of hemming and hawing.

With every firearm going up exponentially in price since the election, trust me, jump all over this one. You won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
I won't even bother to check the dealers... (BTW, I know where a V or model 10 is with a $170 or $180 price tag is locally)

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=118093991

This past summer I paid ~ $130 apeace for a SWEET heavy barrled Model 10, and a model 15.

I know $200 model 10's are out there b/c about a month ago a buddy of mine (FFL) ... called had had one delivered for ~$200...

(I can't check dealer at century etc anymore as my lisense has expired)
Their out there...

I trust that's no hemming and hawing.:D:

·
Banned
97 Posts
N2,
Unless I'm mistaken the OP asked about .357 mag, not .38 spl that IS the Model 10...

http://web.utk.edu/~giles/third.html

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...d=10001&productId=14741&langId=-1&isFirearm=Y

No offense, but this is an apples and oranges comparison.

Find us an inexpensive ($200 or under) .357 S&W revolver. Not out there that I'm aware of. At least not right now. Last year, maybe. The year before that, absolutely. But now? Not that I'm aware of.

I do try and keep up. Here's a 4" .38 for $180 at Centerfiresystems.com ...

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/AC-M200.aspx

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
N2,
Unless I'm mistaken the OP asked about .357 mag, not .38 spl that IS the Model 10...
I was not responding to him... I was responding to you:

If someone can pick up a S&W for $200, ask them WHERE YOU can get this firearm. You will hear a lot of hemming and hawing.
ETA, I just saw the one I linked to went for $205... HUMMMMM....
A budy of mine knows where a S&W 13 4 incher is for under $250...

(I only like 3 inch K frames so I passed)

Their out there.

ETA: Besides, What's $100, or even $200 or $300 amaterised over the rest of your LIFE! (Be it 5 years or 50...)
We've ALL got junk we could sell if we needed to.

And when it comes to life support equipment... don't skimp on quality.

Sure, you could find an RG revolver for $50.... but if It came down to it I'd SO MUCH rather have my Cutdown S&W V model that I paid $186 for...

·
Banned
630 Posts
A ruger security six is hard to beat for reliability abd toughness, I own two 23/4 inch bbls
and I have fired 1000s or roundas through them, they are still in time and still tight...
I also own a model 13 smith 4inch bbl that I have shot extensively and I have had to get it tightened and retimed twice....plus I have serious flame cutting on the top strap over the forcing cone....I would go with a ruger...As others had said, a rossi has spotty QC......

·
Registered
32 Posts
Flame cutting in the S&W K frame is caused by shooting 357 mag with 125gr and lighter bullets on a regular basis. Personally, I shoot 38spl handloads along with a few 357s for practice. Save your revolver and carry those 125 grainers to save your life.

My .02

·
Banned
630 Posts
DesertSunrise,

It was a used model 13 when I bought it(deal I couldn't refuse} and had been heavily shot with.357 mag, the flame cutting was already visible, I got it retimed and tightened and used it as my toolbox/fishing pistol, still is, and I hardly ever shoot .357s anymore in it....I keep it loaded with three snakehot and three 125 gr 38 spls.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Ist MAW, I wasn't taking a potshot at you. Its just that a lot of people don't know the cause of flame cutting in K frames; I didn't know about it until I joined the S&W forum. Just trying to help.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts