Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Romanian WASR-10 AK-47 7.62 39mm which came with two 30 mags. I've purchased a total of 4 additional mags on three separate occasions, none of them fit.:confused:
One tapco and two promag and one "romanian" or at least that was the description. The romanian mag looks identical to the two original romanian mags but the damn thing doesn't fit.

Has anyone else ran into this issue? If so what's the solution aside from getting rid of it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
208 Posts
If I'm correct, then the wasr 10 was originally imported with a ten round single stack magazine. The mag well was milled out so it could accept standard ak mags. Alittle more info could help. With what is given it could be anything. Could be that it needs to be ground out alittle more. Did the mags it came with fit well or were they tight?

·
Always Loaded
2,316 Posts
That is odd. I have used many differant mags in my wasr with no issues. My guess would be that when they re-re-adapted it to fit double stack mags they didn't remove quite enough. WASR's were built for double stacked mags, then altered to accept single stacks during the Clinton ban, then re-adjusted after to accept normal AK mags. At least that is how I understand it. Take it to a smith or risk widening the magwell yourself.

·
10,548 Posts
We need Pics' and Dimensions of your Magwell, and Caliper Measurements of your "Romanian Magazines". We'll fix it, but it sounds like a "Technical Difficulty", caused by an incompatible Tolerance in the Magwell. I hope we can help, and I hope you are not dealing with a Weapon that only accepts 10 round Mags. Even that can be fixed, but then you will need some skills with a Milling Machine or some Old School Dremel Skills.
Are they "Ridgebacks" or Flat Spine Magazines?
We are here for you, and we'll get you squared away if you work with us. Can you make a Video of you trying to insert the Magazine? This would be of great importance when it comes to fixing this issue for you.
I look forward to your response, and promise I can help you if you work with me.;)
Sometimes, Guns just have Quirks, or a Burr that interferes with normal Function. We'll hammer it out and make your Gun work. That's what we do. You came to the right place.

·
10,548 Posts
If I'm correct, then the wasr 10 was originally imported with a ten round single stack magazine. The mag well was milled out so it could accept standard ak mags. Alittle more info could help. With what is given it could be anything. Could be that it needs to be ground out alittle more. Did the mags it came with fit well or were they tight?
This^^^ Most Likely. We can fix it.:thumb:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The original mags fit very snug. When watching very closely as I insert either mag I see no reason why the new one can't fit.

·
10,548 Posts
This^^^ Most Likely. We can fix it.:thumb:
FEG made a great AK Clone that suffered from the Single Stack Syndrome. My Customers allowed me to use my Files and Dremel Tool on them, and viola! Great AK!!!:) A lot of work, but when done properly, worth the while.

·
10,548 Posts
The original mags fit very snug. When watching very closely as I insert either mag I see no reason why the new one can't fit.
Can you show us a Pic'? Of the New magazines and the originals, side by side, and from the Top if you would, as that is how the Rifle would see it.
Do you own a Dial Caliper or Micrometer?
We want to help. Help us to help you.;)

·
Stinks like...BO
997 Posts
It won't lock. So I can insert the clip but can't get it to lock in.
File a little off the underside of the protruding piece of metal (i don't know its name) that clicks into the mag catch. Just a little on the bottom and that mag catch will eventually make that wonderful sound of locking it in place. I have to do it on my mags for my Saiga, because I don't want to file down the mag catch...Its cheaper if i mess up the mag!

·
10,548 Posts
File a little off the underside of the protruding piece of metal (i don't know its name) that clicks into the mag catch. Just a little on the bottom and that mag catch will eventually make that wonderful sound of locking it in place. I have to do it on my mags for my Saiga, because I don't want to file down the mag catch...Its cheaper if i mess up the mag!
That's what I'm talkin' about!!! Don't be afriad to work your Tools to make them servicable! ;)

·
Stinks like...BO
997 Posts
Is it going in the mag well and not "clicking" so the back (is not locking in the mag catch) or is it getting hung up on the sides because of a tight fit. If its the former use my idea.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
We need Pics' and Dimensions of your Magwell, and Caliper Measurements of your "Romanian Magazines". We'll fix it, but it sounds like a "Technical Difficulty", caused by an incompatible Tolerance in the Magwell. I hope we can help, and I hope you are not dealing with a Weapon that only accepts 10 round Mags. Even that can be fixed, but then you will need some skills with a Milling Machine or some Old School Dremel Skills.
Are they "Ridgebacks" or Flat Spine Magazines?
We are here for you, and we'll get you squared away if you work with us. Can you make a Video of you trying to insert the Magazine? This would be of great importance when it comes to fixing this issue for you.
I look forward to your response, and promise I can help you if you work with me.;)
Sometimes, Guns just have Quirks, or a Burr that interferes with normal Function. We'll hammer it out and make your Gun work. That's what we do. You came to the right place.
I will work on getting the pic and the video but let me answer your other questions in the meantime.

All mags are 7.62 39mm
All mags are ridgebacks but the ridge doesn't reach the magwell when the original or new mags are inserted.
Magwell Length= 2 3/4 inchs Width= 1 inch. At the front of the magwell the width is in between 13/16 and 7/8.

·
10,548 Posts
We are well on our way to a Solution!:thumb:
Don't fret, we'll get you squared away. The other Posters that have responded to your Thread obviously speek from experiences similar to yours and mine.
I bet within a Day, you are all set!:thumb:
I'm going to "Bump" your Thread until it is "Problem Fixed"!
Cheers Bro'!;)

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
If you can fit the mag into the magwell - as in the magwell is not to tight side to side or front to back, but the mag won't lock into the release, I find you can cut a piece of sandpaper into a long strip and pull it back and forth over the top of the mag catch (into the trigger guard).

Sandpaper takes very little metal off at time vs finding file that will fit.
Pull the sandpaper back and forth a couple pulls then check mag fit.

I've had to do the above on almost all of my home builds.

The key is to go slow, don't take too much off without checking with a mag.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts