1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Krazy Kitty
5,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Indefatigable
21,114 Posts
Wow, at 72 and with all those years of gardening experience, you would have thought he would have seen one before now. Most Americans don't want news anymore, they expect entertainment 24/7.

·
Left the building
9,363 Posts
http://www.tauntongazette.com/featu...r-found-in-Taunton-garden-a-wonderful-monster This is my home town. Tomato horn worms have always been around. When we were kids my mom used to pay us 5 cents for every tomato worm we got. She was afraid of them. I can't believe this made the news. That's what made me laugh. Nothing better to report. Newspapers are going the way of the dinosaur.
LOL! It's bigger than ones I've seen on my tomato plants in the past. That's a big un!

·
Pull up your Dora panties
7,377 Posts
when i took my son to the reptile expo last year they had these guys on display. they were being sold by the box of 100. they have recently become a food for reptiles. my son wanted me to buy 1 for him as a pet, but they wouldnt sell me just one, and i wasnt going to buy 100 of them and either kill 99 or let 99 go in my yard.

i remember picking these off my fathers tomato plants as a kid( and some other plants he had too) i still today think they are fasinating.

Reactions: Cinbad

·
Hyper Vigilant
361 Posts
Tomato horn worms frequent my garden every summer. I pick them off daily. They will destroy a tomato plant if left to feed unharmed. It's neat watching the Braconid wasp growing inside of them.

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
Wow, at 72 and with all those years of gardening experience, you would have thought he would have seen one before now. Most Americans don't want news anymore, they expect entertainment 24/7.
speaking of entertainment, why do you think the theater of war is so popular on the news?

"Bread and Circuses" (from Latin: panem et circenses) is a metaphor for a superficial means of appeasement. In the case of politics, the phrase is used to describe the creation of public approval, not through exemplary or excellent public service or public policy, but through the mere satisfaction of the immediate, shallow requirements of a populace. The phrase also implies the erosion or ignorance of civic duty amongst the concerns of the common man (l'homme moyen sensuel).

In modern usage, the phrase has become an adjective to describe a populace that no longer values civic virtues and the public life. To many across the political spectrum, left and right, it connotes the triviality and frivolity that characterized the Roman Empire prior to its decline.

http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/ancient/juvenalpersius-intro.asp

Reactions: Jojo

·
Survivalist
260 Posts
Gardening for 43 years and never seen nor heard about a tomato horn worm, are you kidding me? This guy is obviously lying through his teeth about 43 years, but anyway it's pretty satisfying squishing them after they've been eating holes through your tomatoes day and night.

·
Never Give up
7,579 Posts
Gardening for 43 years and never seen nor heard about a tomato horn worm, are you kidding me? This guy is obviously lying through his teeth about 43 years, but anyway it's pretty satisfying squishing them after they've been eating holes through your tomatoes day and night.
Well I totally agree with you. But I bet he one of theose obama supporters. Things go wrong all around him and never see any of it. Hes either a moron,a liar, or blind if in 43 years thats the first bug he saw there.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I've been growing tomatoes for a couple of decades and I have never seen a tomatoe worm until last week. It was on the sidewalk outside of my store. Someone had to tell me what it was.

·
Krazy Kitty
5,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I havn't seen any this year. My tomatos are as tall as me and I'm 5'5". They are growing so fast and spreading out the cages are falling over. I'll be canning my butt off. And I have 6 cherry tomato plants that are loaded with tomatos. I can't imagine peeling all those little suckers before I can them. Want some? LOL And something ate my bean plants. I guess I'll have to go to the local farm and buy them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts