Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've decided to get a Rock Island Armory Tactical 1911 to go with the M1 Garand that I'm anxiously awaiting from the CMP program. (It just seems that if you have a Garand... the right companion pistol should be a 1911.) The question I have is... Can you use any 1911 magazines with the gun? Or are there some after market that are better than others?

I've researched a lot of threads online that gave links to websites for magazines... but all the links turned out to be dead ends. Can anyone here who has a Rock Island tell me where they get their extra magazines?

Also, is their any particular ammo that works better for you than others? All the threads I've read seem to have the Rock Island pretty much eating every ammo without a hiccup... is that the owners' heres experience?

And man is it going to be fun to finally join the 1911 club. :thumb:

· Registered
220 Posts
Welcome to the m1911 Rock Island club.

I own Rocks a Compact tactical and a FS GI model.

I've never had any issues with the original ACT mags. Wanted to purchase more at my local gun store. But they don't carry ACT mags. He advised me to get some of the Mec-Gar mags. He said they are both Italian made mags and look so similiar that they are probably made at the same factory. They performed fine in my Compact Tactal without any issues. So I didn't feel the need to spend extra $$ for a McCormick or a Wilson Mag.

I've also purchased full sized Mec-Gar mags for the GI and never had any issues with them either.

As far as breaking your FS Tactical in. I'd run 300rds of FMJ through it first and after that try some HP's out.

· Registered
9,569 Posts
I got caught up in the silly thing of buying the expensive magazines in believing in them. Oddly, I never had a problem when I used old military and other magazines. I'd say buy some inexpensive ones and test them out, sort out the good from the bad (if any) instead of doing what I did, pay from $26 to $40 for magazines, when I've $5 ones that probably work as reliably, but I don't trust because I listened in person to too many gun gurus.

· Registered
23,879 Posts

· Here's my safety Sir
14,661 Posts
chip mccormack or Wilson combat mags. the only ones I use

· Here's my safety Sir
14,661 Posts
it's a 1911 it will use any even the remintons which around here are the least expensive
Ever since uncle sammy showed me how to, I have build my own 1911's and prefer the ones that work the best . These are the two brands I have found to be most reliable.

I do own a number of govberment mags but like the others better.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.