Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Roasted Garbanzo Beans/Chickpeas Recipe #331939
These are addictive little snacks that reminded me of Corn Nuts. Crunchy and flavorful BUT actually good for you too! The spicier you get these the better imho! Plus, spicy foods are supposed to increase your metabolism!
by mama's kitchen
49 min | 4 min prep

SERVES 8

2 (15 ounce) cans garbanzo beans (chick peas)
cooking spray
1 tablespoon cajun seasoning, heaping
1 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
1 teaspoon onion powder (optional)
cayenne, to taste
Drain garbanzo's in a strainer and rinse well with cool water. Shake to help remove water. Let sit to drain while proceeding.
Cover a rimmed cookie sheet or shallow casserole dish with cooking spray. Pour garbanzos on the foil and spread them into a single layer. Take a few sheets of paper towel and gently press over the top of the beans just to remove any extra liquid- speeds cooking time too.
Spray top of beans with cooking spray and sprinkle seasonings over the beans. Shake pan to help distribute the seasoning and make sure the beans are all in a single layer.
Place pan in an oven and set to 350 F- no need to preheat. Use lowest rack on oven and return every 15-20 minutes or so to shake the pan so nothing burns. Be gentle or they may spill over the sides. Cook until beans are browned and crispy. About 45 minutes.
Remove from oven and pour into a plastic bowl with tight fitting lid to cool. Careful they are HOT to the touch!
Snack away! Keep these stored in the bowl for best freshness or in a ziploc bag.

© 2008 Recipezaar. All Rights Reserved. http://www.recipezaar.com

Note: Baking time may vary up to 1 hr...shaking every 15 mins. Can use add olive oil. Also, can substitute cajun seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder w/Greek Seasoning.

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 1 (145g)

Recipe makes 8 servings

Calories 126
Calories from Fat 10 (8%)
Amount Per Serving %DV
Total Fat 1.2g 1%
Saturated Fat 0.1g 0%
Monounsaturated Fat 0.3g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.5g
Trans Fat 0.0g
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 317mg 13%
Potassium 182mg 5%
Total Carbohydrate 24.0g 8%
Dietary Fiber 4.7g 18%
Sugars 0.0g
Protein 5.3g 10%
Vitamin A 25mcg 0%
Vitamin B6 0.5mg 25%
Vitamin B12 0.0mcg 0%
Vitamin C 4mg 6%
Vitamin E 0mcg 0%
Calcium 34mg 3%
Iron 1mg 7%

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
I like the sound of this recipy. I have written it down and will try it after my next shopping trip.

I use garbonbzos in salads and soups but never thought of using them in this way.

Thanks

·
Registered
182 Posts
Roasted Garbanzo Beans/Chickpeas Recipe #331939
These are addictive little snacks that reminded me of Corn Nuts. Crunchy and flavorful BUT actually good for you too! The spicier you get these the better imho! Plus, spicy foods are supposed to increase your metabolism!
by mama's kitchen
49 min | 4 min prep

SERVES 8

2 (15 ounce) cans garbanzo beans (chick peas)
cooking spray
1 tablespoon cajun seasoning, heaping
1 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
1 teaspoon onion powder (optional)
cayenne, to taste
Drain garbanzo's in a strainer and rinse well with cool water. Shake to help remove water. Let sit to drain while proceeding.
Cover a rimmed cookie sheet or shallow casserole dish with cooking spray. Pour garbanzos on the foil and spread them into a single layer. Take a few sheets of paper towel and gently press over the top of the beans just to remove any extra liquid- speeds cooking time too.
Spray top of beans with cooking spray and sprinkle seasonings over the beans. Shake pan to help distribute the seasoning and make sure the beans are all in a single layer.
Place pan in an oven and set to 350 F- no need to preheat. Use lowest rack on oven and return every 15-20 minutes or so to shake the pan so nothing burns. Be gentle or they may spill over the sides. Cook until beans are browned and crispy. About 45 minutes.
Remove from oven and pour into a plastic bowl with tight fitting lid to cool. Careful they are HOT to the touch!
Snack away! Keep these stored in the bowl for best freshness or in a ziploc bag.

© 2008 Recipezaar. All Rights Reserved. http://www.recipezaar.com

Note: Baking time may vary up to 1 hr...shaking every 15 mins. Can use add olive oil. Also, can substitute cajun seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder w/Greek Seasoning.

Recipe makes 8 servings

Six months or so after a disaster, when all the potato chips and crunchy foods are long gone, (yes, it seems most survival meals are mushy in nature) I'm sure the kids will LOVE having something to "crunch" on. Thanks! :thumb:

:D:

·
Prepared Gourmet
2,964 Posts
The kids will have to fight me for these! They are delicious and nutritious. I stock lots of chickpeas (the baby ones are often called split yellow peas), both canned and dried - my favorite legume. You can also roast them with rosemary, salt and olive oil or probably any other combo of spices/herbs/oils you like depending on your mood.

·
Peas and Carrots!
36,851 Posts
We've taken canned garbanzo beans for years and just sprinkled salt on them and eaten them like boiled peanuts. I think my guys will really like crunchy ones. I'm always looking for snacks I can pop out in a few minutes without stocking yet another specialty item.

Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts