Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder if roadblocks of all sorts wouldnt go up pretty fast in your SHTF. Here comes another SUV loaded with goodies.

Could work to your advantage if the roadblocks kept anyone from getting to your area.

I'd hate to think tho of getting everything together in the car and leaving, only to be walking back to town with nothing.

·
Super Moderator
12,196 Posts
The best way to avoid road blocks, in my opinion, other than not traveling, is to always have a scout traveling far enough ahead to warn the rest of the team or convoy that a roadblock exists. Though, if it is a well planned military roadblock, with forward observers and stop teams, even a scout isn't all that effective.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Maybe the best route is the one less traveled by. I read an article someone on another board wrote back when people were bugging out of New Orleans. All of the northern roads were grid locked and manned by the police, military, or others. Other roads leading further south, and eventually west or east along the coast were empty. The congested and blocked roads, I think, could have been considered the primary evacuation routes out of the area. By sticking with the non evacuation routes, it might be possible to avoid a road block.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Another good reason to get where you need to be early. Not always possible but a worthy goal imo. Also remember that in a desperate situation your car is just a thing, use it to it's fullest. Ram, drive over things, drive on rims, scrape against other cars to get by, burn up the engine before stopping if necessary...whatever it takes to get you out of danger. A car worth more than your life belongs in a museum, not on the road.

·
Registered
882 Posts
by all means stay off bussy roads even though i think you will have plenty of time to get where your going you cant get a hole army in the US to take us over in here in 5 minuts.but like what was mentioned earlier have a lead vehicle with a good radio, phones might not work if shtf. on my bov i have run flat tires and armor on the drivers side door and a big plait to protect my radiator and to act as a ram just in case

·
BEEN HERE TO LONG
1,336 Posts
my 2 cents the tshtf will happen so get your bob there now . if at all possible

Reactions: Brimasmom

·
veldskoen no socks
2,715 Posts
I remember going through Mozambique shortly after the civil war finished and road blocks were common allong the roads, problem was though when you were on a dirt road in the bush and you came up to one it was usually manned by six or so drunk or drugged out soldiers with nothing to do, problem.
Solution, approach carefully and slowly with the window up, stop and wind the window down fractionally so you can converse. Documents usually requested were passport and
car tax papers followed by a search of the vehicle, this could be sped up or even avoided by simply carrying a pack of smokes on the dash board and singly handing them out to the soldiers at the road block, even though I dont smoke a carton of smokes under the seat and an opened pack on show usually did the job, also be ready to share a joke at your own expense, works every time and when you drive off, you will probably made a few friends rather than enemies, very important for your own well fare.

·
Registered
342 Posts
My thinking has been on the opposite end of this converation lately. I live on a loop off the main road. There's only 1 road, which = 2 entrance/exits. We have an old 2 ton Chevy to block one end, my buddy will use an old 1 ton ford to block the other. Both run, but are old and rusty. They can be parked sideways for a very effective block against un-wanted's. The ditch on either side of either entrance is about 24" deep, you won't be by passing easy. Even mentioned it to a local cop in conversation, he said if he was on patrol and we let him pass through w/ no BS, he had no problem w/ it. Of course I would let him by If he needed to check things out because he had orders. He also said off record As long as there's no problems in your area that I hear about, I'll take your word for it and pass on.

Would be a good idea for everybody to think about buying an old pile of crap that runs to keep around the bug out retreat or homestead for a road block.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Maybe the best route is the one less traveled by. I read an article someone on another board wrote back when people were bugging out of New Orleans. All of the northern roads were grid locked and manned by the police, military, or others. Other roads leading further south, and eventually west or east along the coast were empty.
That's true. In fact, a lot of the small towns to the west and south, like Houma, escaped damage and had stocked shelters that were almost empty of people. Few went that way. Luckily, my in-laws, who live in Metarie (just west of New Orleans, near the airport) fled early so missed most of the traffic but even then it took four hours to travel to Baton Rouge, a trip that usually takes 45 min-1 hour. Of course, a few days later they had to flee Baton Rouge because it got so bad. They ended up living with me in Dallas for a several weeks.

A few weeks later, my parents fled Houston because of Rita and stayed off the main roads (in this case, I45). But my dad is kinda a goofball and likes to drive around little towns. I think they remind him of where he grew up.

·
Banned
152 Posts
roadblocks are a very real concern in the SHTF scenario. Not only orchestrated on purpose road blocks but also those caused by traffic accidents where no one is coming to clear the vehicles out of the way. If you feel you must flee the area in a vehicle have one that doesn't need a road to travel. I drive a Jeep Wrangler. If I have to cut through someones yard, across a field, jump curbs or plow through some minor landscaping I can.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I think if a really bad situation hit were people were leaving cities in droves, my neighbors and I would set up a road block where people turn off the state highway onto the narrow blacktop road that gets us to our respective farms. An alternative I have thought of would be a professional sign made up in advance for use at the appropriate time that said, "Bridge out, Local traffic only." "Hillbilly justice for intruders."

I would think this would be common. I doubt that civilians would want to impede other people traveling but would be concerned about strangers going where they had no business being.

I think the biggest danger of roadblocks is just what happened up in Iowa recently where the government thought it was their right to block people from returning to their homes.

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
Back in WW2, French rebels and OSS guys frequently messed with roadblocks and bridge signs to screw around with the german army. If you want to keep a stretch of road impassable after an endgame event I can see a barricade made of wrecked vehicles working

·
Registered
179 Posts
lol gotta love the resistance :p maybe a new weapon for your arsenal is required Maybe a Rocket Launcher or like explosives to clear any unmanned (of course :D ) road blocks altho u wanna hit the gas after to avoid any unwanted attention. or a less rambo approach some sort of winch on your BOV to pull any wreckage out of the way.

in my home county there are loads and loads of old country lanes some go for miles and miles.

Goofy.

·
RIP America 1776-2012
1,953 Posts
Bugging out is a grim proposition, but those of us living in and around large population centers have no other option.

All of the vehicles in my group are already built or are in the process of being built for the sole purpose of bugging out.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Roadblocks serve a variety of purposes. Some of them are: Keeping an area inaccessible to outside persons, creating a bottleneck to impede traffic, to create points of inspection (looking for wanted persons, persons of interest, contraband, etc), and another is containment. If a roadblock is successfully planned, and setup, it will be hard to circumvent. Ideally, a road block will allow no means to bypass it. Setting up a roadblock on a major interstate can be done, but it will not be easy. A one lane or two lane road is ideal. I do not plan on very much travel in a post balloon popping world, but I do foresee roadblocks in at least 3 points. During the evacuations of the Gulf cities, we saw massive lines of people moving north. One local genius wearing a badge decided he needed to setup a roadblock. Why I will never know, but I STRONGLY suspect he and his brother-in-law profited immensely from it as it was positioned right beyond the biggest gas station/convenience store in town. I think we will see police and military roadblocks for a long time after a massive SHTF, but in the event it is THE SHTF, people had better watch for roadblocks by armed thugs.

·
Haha
3,407 Posts
Equip your BOV to stand up to off road travel. If possible (and that is a big if) see if you can't find some good ole boys into crash derby that could re-enforce the body and panels of your vehicle so it can take more hits. Installing a wench and ramming bars also help. Covering your headlights with steal screening to keep them from being busted out is also a great idea.

Basically if your bugging out you want to be driving the next best thing to an offroad tank. An SUV Pickup Truck or Jeep with four wheel drive will work. Also take into account how much supplies you will be bringing and how much gas you will need to have in your tank to make it to your location.

If you have an extra spot in your garage and soem tarps you can hide away your monstrosity of a bug out vehicle from prying eyes. (reinforced body and frame along with steel shutter panels covering windows and push bars attract unwanted attention)

-Cade

·
Watchin tha world go by
8,151 Posts
the way i figger it all roads from population centers will be road blocks for as far as the eye can see. if it isnt military/police, it will be locals or just stalled, wrecked, and out of gas vehicles. along with all their passengers desperate to git transport any way they can, even if its yours they "appropriate" to go somewhere there not sure of or heard about thru a friend of a friend.

Cade is right, the last place you want to be is on a road.

if its serious enough fer everyone ta try and git out, keep yer wire cutters handy and take the cross country route. you will undoubtedly make some folks mad cuttin fences
but yer not plannin on stayin, make it quick. as you git away from the major cities the traffic jam and stalled cars will thin considerably. you might be able to use them then.
if your headin out your family car is capable of off road operation, open fields and croplands are passable with caution and at low speed ta git around congestion.
you cant go rock climbing in it but it isnt completely road bound.
secondary roads are a possibility but have the disadvantage of narrow or no sholder and open areas on them as larger roads will have, plus a small blockage on a small road is likley to be impassable.

·
Registered
34 Posts
If you're on a road, then you're going in the wrong direction.
absolutely, a road is just a guideline, use them as reference for navigation but stay far away from them-out of sight and move from cover to cover. IMO if you can't carry it-you don't need it. A vehicle is just a big loud target.

·
Registered
34 Posts
roadblocks are a very real concern in the SHTF scenario. Not only orchestrated on purpose road blocks but also those caused by traffic accidents where no one is coming to clear the vehicles out of the way. If you feel you must flee the area in a vehicle have one that doesn't need a road to travel. I drive a Jeep Wrangler. If I have to cut through someones yard, across a field, jump curbs or plow through some minor landscaping I can.
I was thinking a cessna 172 or some other small, easy to hot-wire, aircraft from a local airfield. commandeer it and fly to your destination. Just land it in a field somewhere, no cars, no roads, no people, no prob

1 - 20 of 25 Posts