Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I carry lots of emergency gear in my vehicles, but I'm ashamed to say I haven't been carrying emergency flares or anything like emergency flares. I am going to rectify that very soon, and I'm looking for advice as to what I should buy. Should I buy the old-fashioned emergency flares like these?

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/safety-flares-3-pack/74075&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&scid=scplp74075&sc_intid=74075?utm_campaign=SC_Shopping_High&affiliateid=6313&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0P_Ci_Gz1gIVhIRpCh29GwerEAQYAyABEgJm8vD_BwE

Or should I instead buy LED devices of some kind?

Or something else?

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Flares are dangerous and a fire hazard. Use something else.
Very good point. Obviously it's not a good idea to have sparks flying around in a place where a motor-vehicle accident has occurred because there could be pools of fuel or fumes from fuel that might be ignited by the sparks.

What do EMTs use? What do police officers use? I mean, I know their vehicles have the flashing lights on them, but I would guess EMTs and police personnel carry devices that can be placed on the road some distance away from a accident scene to alert motorists of trouble ahead?

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
I agree with using something else if the person can't recognize a potential fire hazard or the situation warrants a non-flame flare , as part of our emergency management team I bought the LED for our Security Vehicles (we dealt with gas/propane vapor and liquid) our company vehicles but at times we did need (Std) road flares to block multiple entrances.

https://www.esafetysupplies.com/collections/batons/products/3a-orange-led-road-flare-kit

I personally keep Orion 30 min flares in my vehicle plus a LED road flare kit just in case of a fire hazard situation, also a flare can be also be used as a weapon, fire starter, signaling etc.
FWIW:I vacuum pack my flares, just in case of leakage.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XKB5PP1

·
Registered
523 Posts
I'd go with an LED device and use Lithium batteries (CR123 or Energizer AAA/AAs).

Innova 24/7, Bicycle tail lights (various brightnesses and blinkie patterns), or a quality flashlight (like an Eagletac D25A Ti which can run off any available battery in a pinch).

·
In Memory
10,935 Posts
I have carried 30 Cal ammo cans of emergency road flares in my vehicles all my LONG adult life, without 1 issue. Well contained, they are no more dangerous than your CCW or the gas in our vehicles gas tank. They are excellent for signaling, starting a fire & work well as a bear deterrent.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Road flairs are a good emergency fire starter in desperate situations. They are only dangerous if your an idiot.
agree. I carry them in my BOB but not really intending to use for accidents. great fire starters.

and what do EMT's/Police use? in my state they still use regular flares.

if you want to have something in the BOB if you are lost and want to be found but don't want a flare gun, there are single use vertical flares they sell in boating supply shops as they are required in any watercraft and are much cheaper than a flare gun option. I have some of those as well...

·
Capability, not scenarios
11,764 Posts
Road flairs are a good emergency fire starter in desperate situations. They are only dangerous if your an idiot.
I have flares in each of my car kits (3 in each). They are an exceptional fire starter plus can be seen in virtually any direction.

Perhaps a better question might be: why do you think you need flares? What function will they serve, and might that be served by something else?

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
As others have noted, they are great fire starters in addition to their intended use.

Regarding safety, the standard flares with a thick plastic cap covering the flammable end look quite safe to me. Unless that cap is first removed and then that end is struck hard on an appropriate surface, it isn't going to light. Flares don't spontaneously combust.

I keep one in my BOB in my trunk. If there is a flame big enough to set off the flare inside my BOB, the car is toast anyway.

Don't be afraid of your own shadow. Millions of people are driving around like maniacs going 70 mph or faster every day with gallons of highly combustible gasoline sloshing around all over the place, yet car fires are relatively rare. The same is true of a flare safely stowed away.

·
Business Owner
2,339 Posts
Flares are more visible than any other signaling device out there. They also can be used as an emergency fire starter, or an improvised weapon. I also carry LED warning devices AND traffic cones. Even in the smaller vehicles, pop-up cones take up not too much space. I say carry ALL different types and be prepared for whatever may happen. Around here, the cops carry TONS of flares and have even replaced mine I used when I was first at an accident before they got there.

·
Banned
32 Posts
Throw some reflective traffic cones in your trunk.

I'm not understanding guys that say that they use their flares as emergency fire starters. I have a lighter for that.

Your local emergency crews may or may not use flares (most don't), but having a bunch of people pulling up on a traffic accident throwing flares all over the road isn't going to help any situation that I'm aware of.

Very good point. Obviously it's not a good idea to have sparks flying around in a place where a motor-vehicle accident has occurred because there could be pools of fuel or fumes from fuel that might be ignited by the sparks.

What do EMTs use? What do police officers use? I mean, I know their vehicles have the flashing lights on them, but I would guess EMTs and police personnel carry devices that can be placed on the road some distance away from a accident scene to alert motorists of trouble ahead?

·
In Memory
10,935 Posts
Reactions: Old fart

·
Registered
451 Posts
I disagree

I disagree with this completely. If you are setting a flare out because of an accident, you put it a hundred yards away from the wreck to warn other cars coming up. So I think you should be safe there. Also, that little plastic cap is either square, or has a notch on it. This is made to put on the back of the flare once lit, so it doesnt roll. And place flare on pavement, not in the grass next to the road...(if conditions permit)

And my 3rd point, if you got lost/stuck/snowed in... That road flare makes a HELL of a fire started...

Thats my 2 cents. No change given :)

1 - 20 of 64 Posts