Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Vigilant
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. My friend and I have built a campsite. This camp site is across a river ,with no access road around for some 40 odd miles. It took some doing, but we set it up right! I was wondering however if any one had any suggestions for a packable inflatable raft or boat, that could facilitate moving gear across. This would save us a lot of time. Suggestions and pics would be appreciated. Thanks.:thumb:

·
Silent Bob
2,343 Posts
My first thought was a cheap inflatable boat from walmart. If the crossing isnt too big you could also try and set some type of zip line for your gear, and possibly even you.

·
City Survivior
576 Posts
If you have the time lash together a simple raft platform anchor a rope on each bank of river and load up raft and use rope to pull your self across like old time ferrymen

·
Dyin aint much of a livin
421 Posts
I would find two sturdy trees and make a rope bridge. You only have to haul it once and it is there for a long time.

Or, if you really wanted a raft type of thing, pack a "Float Bag" and drag it along with you through the water.

Or take a full sized water cooler with you, put your stuff in it and it will float very well, then stash it in some weeds for next time.

·
Vigilant
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How did you get stuff across to build it?

Google "sea eagle boats"
Downriver a ways there is an abandoned railroad tressel that crosses the Potomac. We toted all our stuff across a 12" I beam. It was quite labourious... And a cooler full of ice, food, and drinks could get a little hairy! My friend didn't like it at all, though it doesn't bother me. I walked the steel for a year or so. Therefore I always get stuck muleing the big loads across.
Now we just want to tote our food, Ice, and gear in a safer, swifter manner.

·
Vigilant
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you have the time lash together a simple raft platform anchor a rope on each bank of river and load up raft and use rope to pull your self across like old time ferrymen
Too laborious, and time consuming at the moment. Besides most of the water is a bit too shallow I think for this type of craft.

·
Vigilant
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would find two sturdy trees and make a rope bridge. You only have to haul it once and it is there for a long time.

Or, if you really wanted a raft type of thing, pack a "Float Bag" and drag it along with you through the water.

Or take a full sized water cooler with you, put your stuff in it and it will float very well, then stash it in some weeds for next time.
We've considered the "float bag" option. However we want to also be able to do some fishing and river cruising. It needs to be inflatable because we work on the road and are always on the move.

·
Dyin aint much of a livin
421 Posts
We've considered the "float bag" option. However we want to also be able to do some fishing and river cruising. It needs to be inflatable because we work on the road and are always on the move.
How about an inflatable Kayak? They are not that heavy and paddles can break down to a smaller packable size. They are made of a pretty tough material. I have considered getting one for long distance hikes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts