Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have most of the contents for my BOB but I seem to be lacking a most essential item...the bag...I've looked into Alice and Molle. Both have their ups and downs, but I would like some opinions on a back pack I found, its the Rio Grande. The size is what I'm looking for, as is the price, and it seems to have gotten good reviews on the sellers' sites...but of course I want to hear what you guys have to say. Good? Bad? Ugly?

I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
400 Posts
I got my 45 liter when I didn't have much stuff, and my regret is not having something with a frame, internal or external as my bag got heavier.

I'd learn from my mistakes and get something with a frame, and something that doesn't look military.

·
Oath Keeper
173 Posts
I like how it looks but I would concerned about the lack of frame for a bag that large. I have a molle 3 day pack with no frame. Just depends on what weight your looking at.

I searched and ended up going with this pack after a reading couple posts here. Jansport quality and a good price, and external frame. Good color but looks more civillian.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___99803

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got the pack in ACU digital for Christmas (75 Liter). I love the feel of it, the size seems right, and i was happily surprised to find molle webbing on it. It seems tough, but I will keep you guys posted on any pro's or con's I find with it

·
Registered
65 Posts
I like how it looks but I would concerned about the lack of frame for a bag that large. I have a molle 3 day pack with no frame. Just depends on what weight your looking at.

I searched and ended up going with this pack after a reading couple posts here. Jansport quality and a good price, and external frame. Good color but looks more civillian.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___99803
That puppy is on sale right now at Campmor for $70 bucks. Retails normally at $130 - meaning the pack that flag2442 suggested.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wouldn't buy it unless you're going to stay with the smaller capacity pack. 75 litrs, stuffed with bug out gear just isn't supported enough. I'm planning on getting a frame pack soon...thanks for the help!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Gunnut, have you looked at Condor's 3 Day Pack? Retails around $70 and is pretty large and supportive. I just got mine today and threw stuff in to see how it was and it was really comfortable. Condor 3 Day Pack

·
Front toward enemy.
27 Posts
Gunnut, have you looked at Condor's 3 Day Pack? Retails around $70 and is pretty large and supportive. I just got mine today and threw stuff in to see how it was and it was really comfortable. Condor 3 Day Pack

I'm using that pack myself. It feels great at first but in my experience you get about a mile into the bush with it and you will start to feel every pound in it. Not great at all for long hikes, if i were you i would spend the extra money and get a nice external frame pack.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'm using that pack myself. It feels great at first but in my experience you get about a mile into the bush with it and you will start to feel every pound in it. Not great at all for long hikes, if i were you i would spend the extra money and get a nice external frame pack.
Thanks for the heads up. :thumb: I picked it up because I was originally looking at Maxpedition's Vulture II but on a college budget I needed something to at least start from. I hope to upgrade down the road to something nicer; I'll let you know how my first trip goes as I've only walked the stairs and halls of my dorm building so far. :D:

·
02/14/11
1,133 Posts
You might want to look into the Eberlestock backpack. Some models have 8000 cubic inch capacity and they have a scabbard for your gun built in.:thumb: P.S. I have one ordered. I'll post more when I've had a chance to wring it out.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have looked @ elberstock and seem to like them, however, I'm 17 and have yet to buy a gun - so I don't really need the scabbard...they're also quite expensive (at least the ones I saw were). I am kind of leaning to a Kelty external frame pack (I have a kelty pack now and like it enough that id like to keep doing business with them). The problem is, they have little selection...so any opinions? Internal/external?

Thanks!

·
Dust of the Earth
757 Posts
Get an external frame to use with the pack you already have. If you're careful in how you pack, you shouldn't need one. But that will make it easy for you.

·
Improvise Adapt Overcome!
12,005 Posts
I was selling these for a while, and have one left over in stoke I made into a secondary back packing pack for my daughter, in the event the frik'n world blows up and she is actually forced to camp with me (God forbid she does for any lessor reason :( ).

That all said, I really like the pack, but found it was lacking a bit. My solution was to sew some webbing strips vertically to the back and attach the store display size of this pack to it

http://www.foxoutdoor.com/detail.asp?bid=17&sctn=Bags+&+Packs&cat=Rucksacks

That gave me a removable mini pack for just the ultra essentials if I wanted to base camp and hike off for just the day.

I personally love the combination and I am glad I never sold my last one.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts