Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that many have rifles for a SHTF scenario. But how many have a dedicated Rimfire SHTF Rifle?

Here is what I plan to do with the latest rifle I have on order (Ruger American Rimfire .22 Magnum).

Since the model I have on order has an 18-inch threaded barrel It will be fitted with an A2-style flash hider. More for protection of the muzzle crown and looks than "hiding muzzle flashes". I will also be sticking to the standard 9-round magazines due to the flush fit they provide.
I will not be adding a scope to this rifle as I already have a set of Tech sights that will fit and should provide a better sight picture than what comes on the rifle. Another reason I went with the Ruger in addition to the adjustable trigger is the fact that the stock module does not require tools to remove,the hollow of the stock would be perfect to store at least one spare 9-round magazine (Which will be empty and in a small ziplock bag with the sight adjustment tool) in addition to a 50-round box of ammunition that the rifle will be dialed in to use (again stored in a small ziplock bag). The sling will be one of my older nylon "straps" that have QD swivels. and two remaining magazines ( Loaded to 5-rounds each) along with another 50-rounds of ammo will ride inside of a buttstock pouch.

I live in a very rural area and am most likely to encounter garden raiding pests or the odd rabid feral dog or Coyote at the extreme end of threats.

I plan on updating and posting pictures once the rifle is in hand and everything is done. In the meantime feel free to discuss or show off your versions of a dedicated E.D.C. SHTF Rimfire Rifle.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I went with a CZ 427 Trainer in a Manners stock with a threaded barrel and put a can on it, topped it off with one of the discontinued Leupold Rimfire AO scopes I found basically new on Ebay. Overpaid for the glass but...well you know, when you want something, you want something.

·
Registered
12,256 Posts
I have two options.
The CZ 427 Scout with a can. Stupid accurate, uses any ammo from CB and short to Stingers. BSA 2-7x32 Sweet 22 on see through rings. Or one of the other CZs. American, Trainer, Full Stock, Ultra Lux. All accurate, all dependable. Yeah, the scope is high. Still accurate, and I can use the irons, which, on a CZ, are worth using.

The other option is a problem. Ruger 10/22 takedown. Last time out, it failed to properly eject (partially ejected cases pinched in the bolt, despite cleaning and oiling on the spot) with three types of ammo, and one BX mag was jamming the bolt, not allowing it to close.
So....got work to do on it.

Meanwhile, the Mossbergs and Remingtons and Marlin semi auto rifles just keep shooting.

But the .22 is NOT an EDC, for me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have two options.
The CZ 427 Scout with a can. Stupid accurate, uses any ammo from CB and short to Stingers. BSA 2-7x32 Sweet 22 on see through rings. Or one of the other CZs. American, Trainer, Full Stock, Ultra Lux. All accurate, all dependable. Yeah, the scope is high. Still accurate, and I can use the irons, which, on a CZ, are worth using.

The other option is a problem. Ruger 10/22 takedown. Last time out, it failed to properly eject (partially ejected cases pinched in the bolt, despite cleaning and oiling on the spot) with three types of ammo, and one BX mag was jamming the bolt, not allowing it to close.
So....got work to do on it.

Meanwhile, the Mossbergs and Remingtons and Marlin semi auto rifles just keep shooting.

But the .22 is NOT an EDC, for me.
Understood. Everybody has different needs/uses.

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
As you age, you will find a scope necessary. I have a Marlin 22 mag which I take on most trips to the woods, unless it is hunting season. Sometimes a savage semi auto. I like 22 mag and find it a fun gun. good for ground squirrels but has disappointed me on coyotes. I keep a 25-20 bolt action in the barn and house for coyotes. 357 mag bolt action is also a great all around rifle for varmints and garden thieves, works on two and 4 legged ones. I think you will like your 22mag. It is the choice for home butchering here. After this storm passes, I"ll take the Marlin to the mountains with me, while I cut wood and maybe get some squirrel shooting in. Oh, I have found the winchester dyna points to be pure trash. Poor performance on game and they don't work the action on my savage. Your experience may be different but I suggest you shoot a box before stocking up

·
Registered
12,824 Posts
I have several .22 but none compare to my Marlin .17 HMR.
Not only is it a tack driver but it the flattest shooting gun I own. Head shots on small game are easy. Zeroed @ 200 yards. the bullets travel @ 2550 fps.
This is definitely a scoped gun, though it does have iron sights as well.
I have had a .22 mag rifle but I was not impressed with its accuracy, even the Ruger convertible revolver is not that impressive. I would hope that these guns had gotten better over the years.
Good luck with your purchase.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As you age, you will find a scope necessary. I have a Marlin 22 mag which I take on most trips to the woods, unless it is hunting season. Sometimes a savage semi auto. I like 22 mag and find it a fun gun. good for ground squirrels but has disappointed me on coyotes. I keep a 25-20 bolt action in the barn and house for coyotes. 357 mag bolt action is also a great all around rifle for varmints and garden thieves, works on two and 4 legged ones. I think you will like your 22mag. It is the choice for home butchering here. After this storm passes, I"ll take the Marlin to the mountains with me, while I cut wood and maybe get some squirrel shooting in. Oh, I have found the winchester dyna points to be pure trash. Poor performance on game and they don't work the action on my savage. Your experience may be different but I suggest you shoot a box before stocking up
Well I'm in my late 30's and can still hit targets with iron sights in the offhand standing position...can do better with a rest. But I understand your point. Which is why my old Marlin will be getting an optic on it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not only is it a tack driver but it the flattest shooting gun I own. Head shots on small game are easy. Zeroed @ 200 yards. the bullets travel @ 2550 fps.
I have had a .22 mag rifle but I was not impressed with its accuracy, even the Ruger convertible revolver is not that impressive. I would hope that these guns had gotten better over the years.
I like the .17HMR and have owned a heavy barreled 917V ....but I sold it years ago due to need of money and a lack of any real need for the cartridge because of having rifles that fit my uses better.

·
Registered
12,256 Posts
I have a pair of old Mossberg .22 mags, wood and steel, long barrels, very nice, but kind of big, and “only” hunting accurate.

I have a pair of CZ’s in .17 HMR, also wood and steel, and they are ridiculously accurate, with shorter barrels as well.

So I would give the nod to the .17.

But I keep thinking I should just order a 22 mag barrel, it’s a direct swap into one of the guns.

The convertible revolvers are often not going to be impressively accurate with one or the other.
Some are. But it’s a crapshoot.

·
Retired Army
6,356 Posts
I have a .22, a scoped 77/22, (can still in jail) but I'm still not sold on the dedicated SHTF .22lr idea.

I have a SHTF .22 (just in case) a Charger Takedown, with folding pistol brace. This is much more packable for carry in a ruck. Like you would for SHTF. Problem is... it's a takedown, so there's that whole point of impact shift when you do... That little adjustment wheel only works so well.

If the 77/22 was a SBR in a folding stock... but I haven't found anyone who makes a folding stock for a 77/22.

·
Registered
627 Posts
We started with a 10/22 for varmints like skunk and possums but with the coyotes staying further out switched to a
KelTek CMR 30 a while back. The 22 mag shell gives us a lot more range and double the hitting power. CMR30s take a bit of breaking in and changing the feed ramp to make them reliable. Since most of the time the rifle is needed at night a flashlight is mounted under the barrel.

·
Registered
5,509 Posts
I want a 10/22 in 22 mag
Easy enough

Or you could build your own:

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I just lucked into 2 LNIB Henry .22 wmr leverguns with 900 rounds of CCI ammo for $1020, on a local forum. One is a 20" barreled rifle and the other is a 16" carbine. I'm going to take both to the range and see which I like best. I'll probably sell the other along with some ammo to offset the price of the one I keep. Not my first choice for HD or SD/EDC rifle but a viable alternative in a pinch. Nine or eleven rounds of hot lead flying at around 1800 fps would certainly be formidable.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts