Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I am seeing this confused a lot, even on the news. I am just staggered by the actual number. So many people are saying 5,000 gallons, but it is actually 5,000 BARRELS as estimated by BP. That is 210,000 Gallons a day... for 20 days.. That is just unbelieveable.

Now (not suprisingly) since the video of the leak came out, there are others saying that is 56k-84k Barrels a day from analyzing the video. That is 2.2 million- 3.5 Million gallons a day. I can see why BP wanted to underestimate the leak size but the new video evidence is easier to prove/disprove how much is actually coming out of that well.

I am dumbfounded over this amount.
Source:
http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/05/14/gulf.oil.spill/index.html?hpt=T1
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barrel

·
Christian Survivalist
2,632 Posts
On this subject I've tried to keep my mouth shut because I know we need domestic oil. Also, I know accidents happen. But GOOD LORD .... Thats like an Exxon Valdez every three days! :taped:

·
+ULFBER+T
784 Posts
This professor is an expert in determining flow rates based on video. Even with his margin of error, he's saying this is at least 10 times what BP is saying. I don't think anyone has any real idea how bad the long term effects could be. Pretty scary stuff.

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bestoftv/2010/05/13/ac.oil.spill.cnn?hpt=T1

Edit: Sorry, I see you basically covered this already...

·
Free Born
2,446 Posts
And we use antiquated fossil based fuels, with the risk of destroying everything. Boggles the mind when there is technology that has been around for a long time that can replace oil based industry. Makes you sick that companies like BP can still operate with impunity to destroy.

·
Christian Survivalist
2,632 Posts
This man made tragedy is just like anything else these days. To me it seems that everyone takes shortcuts to make some extra money. Congress is supposed to be over the watchdogs that regulate the oil industry. Why they havent implemented more saftey protocols at these depths can only be attributed to .... well congress. It would seem that everything they touch goes south.

Other examples ....

1) Unenforcement of building codes in Haitii (well their politicians anyways)
2) SEC asleep at wheel while the banking industry goes south
3) Congress unable to see warning signs of the most recent financial collapse
4) US Government unable/unwilling to enforce current border laws

Really, dont we have enough natural disasters with out the all the made made ones?

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
Thanks, but I suggest you edit your post before you score a 'fraction

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well looks like they have the Siphon tube in place now. How much oil do you think will flow through this siphone tube into the tankers? My guess is over 5,000 barrels a day !!
http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/05/16/gulf.oil.spill/index.html?hpt=T1
Ayyup... looks like 5,000 barrels a day is being collected from the siphon tube. My estimates say that it did not take 3 days to equal an Exxon Valdez size spill, but ONE DAY to equal that amount. So at least 25 Exxon Valdez spills have been put out into the Gulf.

Nice... F'ers.
BP: Oil gusher bigger than we estimated

Company spokesman Mark Proegler said Thursday that the siphon is now drawing about 5,000 barrels (210,000 gallons) a day up to a ship on the surface. That's as much as government and company officials had estimated the spill was pouring into the Gulf every day for a month. Proegler declined to estimate how much more oil was escaping.
http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/05/20/gulf.oil.spill/index.html?hpt=T2

·
Registered
80 Posts
I like the time stamps jumping about when the color changes and makes them relativly unreadable...I also enjoy the "Alternative Energy" ads/flash's at the beginning...ha ha ha

This professor is an expert in determining flow rates based on video. Even with his margin of error, he's saying this is at least 10 times what BP is saying. I don't think anyone has any real idea how bad the long term effects could be. Pretty scary stuff.

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bestoftv/2010/05/13/ac.oil.spill.cnn?hpt=T1

Edit: Sorry, I see you basically covered this already...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Um-huh, and which of solar, hydro, or wind is going to produce the oil you need to lubricate your firearms?? Lubricate the Machines and cutting heads of said machines that produce brass for your cartridges..
Then there's the oil used to produce every single component of the medium your using to bitch about the companies providing that oil...

And we use antiquated fossil based fuels, with the risk of destroying everything. Boggles the mind when there is technology that has been around for a long time that can replace oil based industry. Makes you sick that companies like BP can still operate with impunity to destroy.

·
Banned
6,705 Posts
The casing is 24" and I do not know how much pressure is on the well, but this is a much larger spill that 5000 gal per day. I used to work for these people. Typical corporate shell game and pass the buck on blame. Couldn't happen to nicer people.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
This has all happened before. Interestingly, the Gulf recovered ecologically with little longer term effects. This is the price we pay for driving gas engines and using products manufactured with oil (like plastic, lubricants, etc.).

·
0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13,
886 Posts
Um-huh, and which of solar, hydro, or wind is going to produce the oil you need to lubricate your firearms?? Lubricate the Machines and cutting heads of said machines that produce brass for your cartridges..
Then there's the oil used to produce every single component of the medium your using to bitch about the companies providing that oil...
In the future, everything will be made of hempseeds.

·
Registered
304 Posts

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Use your own judgement. Look at these screenshots. The one on the right is from 2 weeks ago. The one on the left is from today.

In my humble, non-expert opinion... It looks a hell of alot worse today!!

http://www.digitaloutpost.net/oil/compare.jpg
Some of that could be natural gas also or oil coming out at higher pressures. Like when you put your thumb over the nozzle of your garden hose.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Some of that could be natural gas also or oil coming out at higher pressures. Like when you put your thumb over the nozzle of your garden hose.

I understand that. But the picture on the right is from 2 weeks ago. No mud injected. The point I was making is that it is FAR FROM STOPPED. No matter what BP wants to release to the media, and say. It is another continuation of their PR spin. Get what they want out there, have it flood the media, at least some people believe it, and if lucky, the media will take it as the gospel and keep reporting it. Just like what happened with the actual leak rate. Damn if Im not STILL hearing 5,000 barrels a day!

This doesnt sound like they stopped it.....
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/28/us/28spill.html

HOUSTON — BP had to halt its ambitious effort to plug its stricken oil well in the Gulf of Mexico on Thursday afternoon when engineers saw that too much of the drilling fluid they were injecting into the well was escaping along with the leaking crude oil.

A technician at the BP command center said that pumping of the fluid had to be stopped temporarily while engineers were revising their plans, and that the company hoped to resume pumping by midnight, if federal officials approved.

The technician, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to brief reporters, said the problem was not seen as serious. “We’re still quite optimistic,” he said, but cautioned: “It is not assured and its not a done deal yet. All of this will require some time.”

The news of yet another delay in capping the well came on a day of rapid-fire developments from Louisiana to Washington.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.