Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been reading Patriots and am impressed with the writing style as well as the story. I started thinking about firearms and more specifically rifles. I have a M&P 15 with a rail system and love it. I will probably get an aimpoint Comp 3 to put on top when I get a chance. I also have about 3k rounds so I think I am fairly good to go there.

I am just wondering if I should double down on that for a second for the Mrs. or go up one size and get something in say 7.62 like a SOCOM. It is obviously heavier and would be my primary and the 5.56 would go to my wife. Curious what the thoughts are as far as having a heavier round to throw down range vs. having two of the same weapons systems and a simpler logistical footprint.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
15,940 Posts
I like the versatility of having multiple calibers to choose from. However, if you insist on getting the SOCOM, just realize that the short barrel gains you very little, but costs you in velocity, sight radius and effective range.
I love the design of the M1A.

I looked at one of the 16 inch SOCOMS, it was nice and short and much lighter, but the performance loss of the 308 win out of that barrel is too much for me. Not to mention the ear splitting muzzel blast.

Springfield makes a squad model with an 18 inch barrel and the original 22 inch barrel model as well. I currently own a bolt action in 308 win with a 20 inch barrel and would not want to shorten it any more than that.

·
Hooligan on Holiday
2,368 Posts
I really would keep it simple, stay standardized on what you already have if it works for you now. What has already been answered above really sums it up.
Also, if your budget is not an issue then by all means buy away, the SOCOM is a cool weapon and you just cant stop at one case of ammo :D:

·
Registered
6,445 Posts
Having the same (or very similar) primary rifles for you and the wife has some very good points.
Same ammo, parts, similar loadouts, only one caliber to worry about, similar/same optics pkgs, same manual of arms, maint equitment,mags, etc....

If you decide to get a rifle in 7.62x51mm, I would look at the Scout model over the socom. You can replace the front sight assembly with a SEI Vortex direct connect flashider, or muzzle brake, and only be about an inch to inch in a half longer than the Socom's OAL, but still retain the advantage of the Scout's 18inbbl. For a front sight, you can replace the gas lock with an SEI gas lock front sight. (Either the dovetail model which allows the use of your exsisting scout front sight, or the hooded HK style front sight.) The sight radius will be virtually the same as the Socom, and will get you away from the proprietary front end of the socom. It also does away entirely with the Scout's castle nut system, and amounts to less overall components for less things that could go wrong/come out of allingment. look for a Scout that uses the synthetic stocks, as they are lighter in weight than the SAI (Boyds) walnut, and if it were me, I would want one with the metal buttplate instead of the rubber but pad......allowing access to the cleaning kit storage compartment located inside of the stock itself.

Here is some other info that might be of interest....

One 20rd M14 magazine that is fully loaded ( 7.62x51mm WIN Q3130) weighs out at 1.5 pounds even.
One M1A Bush rifle ( Essentially a scout minus the scout mount, and sports a flash hider vs the scout muzzle brake) weighs out at 8 to 8.5 pounds depending on the type of stock it has...... on average.
Note: The newer SAI built synthetics weigh less than most of the USGI versions do, and is built with the semi auto M1A receiver in mind, so it has a better fit vs USGI stocks....as it does not allow for the selector shaft that an M14 service rifle would utilize.

100rds of 7.62x51mm 146gr FMJ = 5.43 pounds
100rds of 5.56mm 55gr FMJ = 2.51 pounds

11B

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm a huge fan of putting real lead out to 500 yards, and having it speak with authority when it gets there.

Also NOT a fan of the SOCOM rifle. The Standard M1a would be my preference.

Look around, you will find SOCOMs for sale, but rarely see a Standard...., consider further that the Standard has been out for decades and the SOCOM for a relative short time. People buy them cause they are cool, they shoot them then wonder why they bought them.

Folks who really shoot their Standards, keep them.

If you can pony up for the new platform, the mags, accessories, ammo, then I would recommend you move that direction. It is a $3000 investment choice.

Lots depends on your location, skills and desired capabilities. But heed the comments by others about not bothering with the SOCOM.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
15,940 Posts
I'm a huge fan of putting real lead out to 500 yards, and having it speak with authority when it gets there.

Also NOT a fan of the SOCOM rifle. The Standard M1a would be my preference.

Look around, you will find SOCOMs for sale, but rarely see a Standard...., consider further that the Standard has been out for decades and the SOCOM for a relative short time. People buy them cause they are cool, they shoot them then wonder why they bought them.

Folks who really shoot their Standards, keep them.

If you can pony up for the new platform, the mags, accessories, ammo, then I would recommend you move that direction. It is a $3000 investment choice.

Lots depends on your location, skills and desired capabilities. But heed the comments by others about not bothering with the SOCOM.
In my neck of the woods, I often find M1As for sale. But never, ever are they sold cheap.

When I find an M1A, it has been fitted with a solid scope mount, a Leupold m4 scope, a bipod, a fitted waterproof case, and the guy wants more than 3K.

I was also looking at a SOCOM and trying to determine how quickly shooting a 308 cartridge out of a 16 inch barrel was going to suck. My guess is, I would shoot less than 200 rounds before I sell it and buy one with a longer barrel.

·
Registered
6,445 Posts
I was also looking at a SOCOM and trying to determine how quickly shooting a 308 cartridge out of a 16 inch barrel was going to suck. My guess is, I would shoot less than 200 rounds before I sell it and buy one with a longer barrel.
In my case, the Socom did not live up to my expectations. ( From reading your previous posts, I dont think it would live up to yours either.)
For general range shooting/target shooting, I give the standard the "fun factor" edge over the Scout/Bush modls, but it is very close. For hunting/general purpose utility/go-too..... I prefer the Scout types. ( My oldest boy loves the Socom however..)
It was designed to be a close quarter heavy hitter, and works well for this application. So well in fact, that it suffers at med distance and beyond , as it comes out of the box. IE... The design does not take as much advantage of the 7.62x51mm cartridge, as compared to the 18/22 inch versions....from my dealings with all 3 bbl lengths anyways...

Some info that might interest you further.

The SAI M1A standard/scout/Bush/Socom models all sport non chrome lined std contour, bbls with 1:11 in RH twist. Wilson makes the bbls if memory serves me. ( Note: Some earlier SAI standards had USGI chrome lined M14 bbls with 1:12 in RH twist)

The Scout/Bush rifle bbl length is actually 18.5 inches, while the Socom is at 16 3/4 inches.
I recomend that you stick with good quality magazines for use with the M1A. Genuine 60's era USGI mags, or current production CMI. Others can be hit or miss, but most are only good at being used as paper weights, and will cause you un -needed frustration most likely.

If optics are desired, and you dont like them fwd mounted, then stick to a good quality mount. ( SEI, Sadlak, ARMS#18, Bassett) The best scope that your $$ can buy will be useless without a rock solid mount underneath it.

I have done alot of hunting in the Ozark mtns using an M1A std, and can say from experience, that the 44in OAL can be a bear, especially when you are draggin a deer to the truck. ( I have even strapped the rifle to the carcuss using 550 cord in the past, just to keep from having to fight my way through some of the brush...:eek::)

My longest shot on a TX hog was with a 18.5in bbl M14 Tanker at 322yds exact. Never knew what hit him. ( Rifle had a scope and was zeroed at 300yds using the same load that dumped him. 168gr Hornady TAP.)

Note: Be advised that the lifetime warranty that comes with any M1A (new or used) will not be honored if re-loaded ammuntion caused the issue to warrant repair work by SAI. ( Several other companies do this as well concerning thier rifles.) Just FYI:thumb:

Hope this helps some.

11B

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Stick with what you have, get a 2nd of the same rifle.

For my wife, I have a 11-87 youth in 20 gauge for her. The skeemish types will only react when it gets close. I figure she'll hide with the kids. So, give her a potent close range firearm.

Have your rifle well setup before getting a spare one for yourself. You only got 2 hands. Get a well set primary firearm for everyone who needs it. Have it set with optics, plenty of ammo, and a few important spare parts. Worry more about this and money spent for training than getting more rifles before a "ban" comes around.

do you have a CCW permit yet? This is way more important than 100,000 rounds in the basement.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to everyone who has posted. I suppose at this point a seond AR makes more logistical sense. I already have a decent supply of ammo and it is much lighter and easier for a petite little gal to handle. I do have a cut down (legal) 870 for her for close protect the kids in the house stuff.

·
Registered
6,445 Posts
Thanks to everyone who has posted. I suppose at this point a seond AR makes more logistical sense. I already have a decent supply of ammo and it is much lighter and easier for a petite little gal to handle. I do have a cut down (legal) 870 for her for close protect the kids in the house stuff.
Sounds like you have a good plan:thumb:

11B

·
Proverbs 26:4
2,112 Posts
until a week ago I would have said go with a double of what you have, "as they say one is none two is one".

But I am now strongly considering getting a .308 but I will also end up with a double down - two mini 14s. I just feel that if something were to go wrong with one you have an identical built in backup. But I can also see the need to go up to a bigger caliber. You just never know what you may be up against.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Look's like I stand alone on this one....But I have a SOCOM II and to be perfectly honest.......Money cant buy this one! Great rifle, And very accurate out to 300yds I have an AIMPOINT ML3 on it with a Desert Warrior cheekpiece. Out of about 500rds I've never had so much as a hiccup out of it. I own my share of rifles 5 AR's both 223 and 308,6.5Grendel and 4 AK's,2 FAL's and a number of other gasgun's as well as bolt gun's but the SOCOMII Is absolutely on of my goto gun's.......Matter of fact, It's in the Truck right now riding shotgun!

·
You ARE what you IS!
5,210 Posts
Look's like I stand alone on this one....But I have a SOCOM II and to be perfectly honest.......Money cant buy this one! Great rifle, And very accurate out to 300yds I have an AIMPOINT ML3 on it with a Desert Warrior cheekpiece. Out of about 500rds I've never had so much as a hiccup out of it. I own my share of rifles 5 AR's both 223 and 308,6.5Grendel and 4 AK's,2 FAL's and a number of other gasgun's as well as bolt gun's but the SOCOMII Is absolutely on of my goto gun's.......Matter of fact, It's in the Truck right now riding shotgun!
Either or is a good choice. Seems all the inventory you have IMHO are great rifles. The SOCOM rocks! Personal preference rules on that one bro. :thumb:

·
American fearmaker
14,244 Posts
I would go with a set-up like the Mini-SASS rifle or like the one used by the Filipino Marines' Scout Snipers. By going with one of those two systems you have another rifle using the same ammo and magazines as your M&P 15. That makes logistics MUCH easier for you and your M&P can, if needed, serve as a parts supply for the Mini-SASS rifle. Mini-SASS is presently being made by DPMS. You might want to consider the Mini-SASS as another option.

·
You ARE what you IS!
5,210 Posts
Been reading Patriots and am impressed with the writing style as well as the story. I started thinking about firearms and more specifically rifles. I have a M&P 15 with a rail system and love it. I will probably get an aimpoint Comp 3 to put on top when I get a chance. I also have about 3k rounds so I think I am fairly good to go there.

I am just wondering if I should double down on that for a second for the Mrs. or go up one size and get something in say 7.62 like a SOCOM. It is obviously heavier and would be my primary and the 5.56 would go to my wife. Curious what the thoughts are as far as having a heavier round to throw down range vs. having two of the same weapons systems and a simpler logistical footprint.
As I repeat myself and I don't mind doing it, it all boils down to personal preference brother Thurston. Either/or possibly both are fine weapons IMHO. :thumb:

·
Son Of Liberty
1,871 Posts
I try to just keep one basic rifle system and keep everything the same down to the cool ninja parts, all my battle rifles have 1x-4xscopes on larue spre mounts, all have ambi safety, the same grip, trijicon sights, same sling, the idea being I know each one as if it was the other but have the ability to position other weapons either in cashe or car or other locations with little to no change in weapon.

same with handguns, all have Big dot sights, all my battle handguns are XD40s in various lengths.

spare parts are universial for the most part as is ammo, and most anything else.

I do have other guns but they are just fun guns or family relics that dont ever really even see the range.

Reactions: rubeixcube
1 - 20 of 22 Posts