Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Hubris begets Nemesis
7,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats the best way to store rifles? I want easily accessibility and protection from dust and dirt. I don't have a locker. Instead I'm keeping them inside in soft cases stored in a closet. Is this ok?

·
drive a stake thru Islam
1,005 Posts
be sure to put a desicant in each case, this will keep moisture from effecting your guns, and change them out every 3 months, more often if it is a humid invironment

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
Some soft cases are bad about wicking away the lube (Causing rust)

Lube it and check it atleast 1x per week for 4-6 weeks.

You'll be able to tell.

If not... you should be fine.

·
Hubris begets Nemesis
7,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've noticed that loss of lubrication on my Marlin 60. I put a silicon impregnated gun sock over the rifle before putting it back in the soft case and the problem stopped.

·
Sugar-free
4,184 Posts
If you are going to strictly store it long term, and not fire it, I would go with the time-honored cosmoline treatment. You can buy it from Brownell's. In my experience, nothing works better for firearms preservation. Of course, it's a major PITA to remove.

·
I'm the boogey man.......
6,686 Posts
Spray down with Break Free CLP, place in a silicon impregnated gun sock and then place them in these Gun Storage Bag toss in a few 02 absorbers and some silica gel.

·
Hubris begets Nemesis
7,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. I'm not talking about long term storage. I try to get to the range at least once a month in the winter and more often in the summer. So I'm interested in interim storage.

·
6,686 Posts

·
Hubris begets Nemesis
7,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
okay,good point. 'll move them out of the closet.

Is it okay to store them in soft carry cases if I'm using them every 4-6 weeks?

·
6,686 Posts
The first place criminals look into when they break into your house is your closet.

Ask me how I know this....
I have a large dog that likes to sleep on the closet floor, that would be a helluva surprise for someone....

·
Scarred for life...
3,295 Posts
okay,good point. 'll move them out of the closet.

Is it okay to store them in soft carry cases if I'm using them every 4-6 weeks?

My house was broken into about 10 years ago.

They went straight for the closet and bypassed three guns left sitting upright in the hall and left my coin collecting sitting on the desk. They knew where to go and thats where they went, bypassing pretty much everything else in the house.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts