Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I know, I know... there are a million threads on 'practical' survival firearms. The Henry Golden Boy is definitely not a practical survival rifle. If you were going to grab a .22, most would probably go with a 10/22 or something like that.

Practical is good, definitely nothing wrong with practical. However, there is something to say about having a really, really fun rifle in your closet too. And the Henry I just picked up is a really, really fun gun.

I went to the gun store looking for a bolt action to teach my daughter with and maybe pass down to her in a couple years. While looking at .22s though, I saw the Henry lever action. As soon as I put my hands on it I was sold. This gun is so pretty that it looks like a toy but once you hold it you realize that it's a very solid, well made rifle. It was a little more expensive than the bolt actions I was looking at but it was so much prettier.

It's on the heavy side, almost seven pounds with the hexagon barrel. It'll hold .22 long rifle, long, or short rounds, with varying capacity depending on which you choose.

I took it to the range today and with a little time to familiarize myself with the sites, I was hitting silhouettes out to 100 yards. Seriously, this rifle has probably the best out of the box accuracy I've had the pleasure of shooting.

It cycled beautifully, a well oiled machine. I ran 200 rounds of regular and hollow point .22lr through it without a single ftf or fte.

It's quick to learn and a blast to shoot.

The only complaint I have is that you load it from the tube end instead of the receiver, like other lever actions. This is a minor annoyance since the tube will hold 15 rounds of .22lr so you don't have to reload it all that often.

So, for the survivalist that already has their essential guns in the closet and wants something really fun to take to the range, give the Henry Golden Boy a good look. It's a high quality rifle that is simply a joy to shoot.

Two thumbs up. :thumb::thumb:

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
Ok, I know, I know... there are a million threads on 'practical' survival firearms. The Henry Golden Boy is definitely not a practical survival rifle. If you were going to grab a .22, most would probably go with a 10/22 or something like that.
Hey I disagree with that. 2 of my go-to "survival" firearms are lever actions. I'd pick a lever action .22 over a 10/22 any day of the week and 2x on Sundays :D:

Thanks for the review! Shooting shorts out of it is also a lot of fun. VERY quiet.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, I've got a Rossi 92 that's my general purpose rifle. Nothing wrong with lever actions.

The reason I was saying this wasn't as practical is mostly because of the weight. I mean, there are so many good options in 22s that are lighter, smaller, reload easier... Hell, this Henry weights more than my Rossi.

Again, not the most practical .22 on the market, but man is it fun to shoot.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
If you live in a humid area, best keep an eye on the brass as it will tarnish really fast. IMHO the Marlin 39 is a better gun for the money. With that being said the Henry is a good looking gun.

·
Registered
58 Posts
i have a henry .22 h001L. thats the 16in barrel with the large loop. 4.5 lbs. I can consistantly hit my 4 inch spinner at 42yds with the stock irons(if i lean on something). at 20 yds i like to hold the hood of the front site on the target and un load it as fast as i can (makes a group like a baseball), great little rifle.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,451 Posts
If I had to grab a .22 for survival, my 10/22 would be the one left home. I'd grab my Savage bolt action.

That said, I absolutely love the Golden Boy. They're a great, fun shooter. And I appreciate the review.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Seawind, the receiver is "Brasslite" or something like that. Anyway, the only REAL brass on the rifle is on the buttplate. That DOES tarnish, but the receiver is a low-maintenance item, wipe it down and it'll stay nice and bright...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Jercol, Have had a Golden Boy myself for several years. My only complaint is that the trigger seems a bit gritty to me. Other than that though, it's a great shooter. I've run .22lr and .22 shorts though it and they all work reliably. I've had to replace the rear sight on mine, a letter to the Henry Company inquiring part number and price information yielded a reply from them asking for my address. They sent me the sight free of charge (the adjusting screw on the old on had stripped). It's sometimes difficult to get a good sight picture with the buckhorn sights, but if you do your part, the gun will certainly do its part!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts