Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got serious about buying a few firearms this week and bought a Ruger 10/22 and a Remington 870. In addition, I have a SA XD9.

From what I've gathered, I have 1 more spot to fill and that would be a good deer/larger game hunting rifle. What would be everyone's recommendation? I've read several recommendations for a Marlin 30-30 but at this point don't know exactly what to pick up.

Thanks in advance. :thumb:

·
Wanderer
3,269 Posts
If you're going to hunt deer and pigs in the TX brush, a Marlin .30-30 will do fine. If you plan on going to other states for bigger game, say to Colorado for elk, or Utah for deer, or Wyo. for antelope, I'd suggest you get a .270, .30-06, or similar calibre. It will do fine in TX and also be fine for other bigger game, and longer ranges, too.
Hope that helps.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you're going to hunt deer and pigs in the TX brush, a Marlin .30-30 will do fine. If you plan on going to other states for bigger game, say to Colorado for elk, or Utah for deer, or Wyo. for antelope, I'd suggest you get a .270, .30-06, or similar calibre. It will do fine in TX and also be fine for other bigger game, and longer ranges, too.
Hope that helps.
How is current ammo availability on the .270 and 30-06? Recommendations for make?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Depends on where you will hunt and what exactly you will hunt. A .270, .308, 7 mag, or 30-06 should suffice for most large game in Texas from a large deer to a wild hog.

·
Registered
352 Posts
As a former big game guide I have to say as an all around cartridge the 30-30 is very limited, though I use it often. Others have mentioned the 30-06 and I have to whole heartly agree. The 30-06 is " THE" best one chambering out there. There are many similar that will also give good service but the 30-06 is the one that all others are judged by. There is an old saying that if the 30-06 isnt up to the job then you aint in North America.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Looks at what ammo is availible to you in your area and go from there would be my suggestion.

A savage 110 would be good, in .308 or .30-06.

If you want something with iron sights, try a Mosin?

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I can't argue against the 30/06. However .308 really isn't that far behind and neither is .300 savage. Any one of these will serve you fine in N America

·
Anarchy: the way to be
683 Posts
AK or Dragunov, before the flame wars begin let me explain. Big rounds, that transfer a lot of kinetic energy. The AK works well in short distance deer hunts, the Dragunov in longer distances (it's an AK variant that shoots 7.62x54R for those of you that don't know).

·
Registered
44 Posts
"There are many similar that will also give good service but the 30-06 is the one that all others are judged by." 30-30remchester

Glad to hear you're going with the ol '06! These days I've specialized for my area and style... but my 30'06 BAR will always be my favorite. If I needed one, I'd probably pick up a Savage too.

·
Registered
631 Posts
You can get Marlin lever guns in more than just 30-30.
444 marlin
.308 marlin
.45-70
.35 Remington
I know I missed a couple,
All of these calibers can be used for big game hunting.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ruger 270....130 grain bullet will get you all the deer you want. Use a 150 grain for bear. A 200-300 yard shot is no problem for this rifle. Of course you have to practice and know where your rifle shoots.

·
Wanderer
3,269 Posts
How is current ammo availability on the .270 and 30-06? Recommendations for make?
.30-06 and .270 is readily available anywhere you go. Mention was made of new Marlin leveraction calibres, but they, being new, aren't available everywhere, and cost much more.
Glad you're going with the '-06. You can't go wrong with a Savage rifle, a Ruger or Browning would be great, too. I have an old (c.1972) Remington, but can't say I'd recommend a new one.
I'd suggest a good 150 gr. bullet for your .30-06 for deer, and go up to 170 or 180 gr. for bear, with a quality bullet, such as Barnes, Nosler, etc. Pigs in TX get pretty big, so I'd go with a 180 gr. for them, too, if you shoot the big ones. A 150 should be fine for small ones. For elk, I'd use 165-180 gr. and a quality bullet, again Barnes, Nosler, etc. Ammo costs vary widely, dpeneding mostly on the components. Buy some cheap ammo for practice, of the same bullet weight as you intend to use for hunting. Then get some of the more expensive ammo for hunting, and use two or three to verify your zero.
Enjoy.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
I had a savage 110 in 30-06. I would reccomend that rifle. Trigger and bolt action weren't the smoothest, but great accuracy for the money. I kept the rifle in the back of a farm truck a lot. Never a problem with it, and I abused it.

Stay away from remmington 770's, remmington 700's and ruger 77's are good and I have used both of those in varmit cartridges. coworker has a very accurate tikka t3 stainless lite model in .270. I know shooting sports are very popular in texas. While you shop for a gun purchase ammo. $20 a box is a good price over in NY. Consider 1 or 2 boxes a year until your old n grey as a supply. Restock as needed.

Look at the places you plan to hunt. Pick 5 spots where you see some good tracks and signs. Now pick 2 spots in each of those areas as a good place to hunt from. If you're seeing places with 300+ yard shots, go with the .270. If you're seeing less than 300 yard shots, go with the 30-06. If it's all wooded and your rarely seeing a clean shot past 150 yards, a .30-30 will do. Also, .243 is a very nice caliber. Will be good for 200-300 yard shots with great accuracy. Wouldn't use it for anything bigger than deer though. Also, this rifle has light recoil and would work well If you have a wife and kids who'd like to shoot too.

I hunt in the woods and only on deer and black bear. 30-30 is the caliber I use. I am in the market for a .243 though. Keep the rifle open sights until you can afford some quality glass for the rifle. nikon buckmaster, Burris full field II, and nikon prostaff have all been reliable for me. All of these run about 150-200. Purchase good rings for them too. Preferably with 4 clamping bolts per ring. Weaver mounts and rings have been a poor choice in my history. At some point before hunting season, remove the scope and make sure the iron sights are lined up, if the rifle is equiped with them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts