Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
American
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. I have a problem with money, as much of us do. I need a gun that I can shoot. My M1 Garand has become too much money to shoot, even my AR-15 is too much money to shoot. Im looking for a rifle that is cheap, reliable, and has lots of cheap ammo. Any thoughts.

·
American
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya I was thinking SKS a while ago, but there is not one good one in the Chicago land area. I checked nearly all gun stores, which isnt too many. I was thinking about a bolt action rifle.

·
Registered
9,542 Posts
Mosin Nagants, cheap to shoot as long as the supply of surplus 7.62x54R hold up. I've seen them as cheap as 69.00, still in the cosmoline.
Peter

Reactions: Mpompilio

·
Looking ahead
2,178 Posts
Why don't you buy the .22lr conversion kit for your AR-15?
.22lr is the cheapest stuff you'll find so the kit will pay for itself in no time.

Reactions: Mpompilio

·
American
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've thought about it, but I generally dont hear good things about them. Have you had any expeirence with them, or know anybody who has expeirence? Id consider it if I heard more praises.

·
Looking ahead
2,178 Posts
My father bought one from cheaper than dirt. Its not given him any problems (other than losing the bark from his AR :D:). I think his conversion kit was a Ciener.

This is the only kit I see from Cheaper than dirt right now and it a Ciener so its probably the one. Good price too.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ARR059-7.html

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Learn to reload and learn right now! After Jan 09 you might have wished that you did. That aside it really is the only way to go and its not all that complicated. With the cost of ammo thses days it really is cost effective unless your shooting 22 rimfire. 7.62 X 39 can still be purchased for a couple of cents more a shot too but thats not likely to last very long. We have all seen severe limitations in "surplus" ammo availability as well and I dont see that situation improving a whole lot. Sure it cost a bit to get into the game but you will be glad you did. Add to that the fact that you can tailor loads to the situation, reloading can really get cost effcient allowing you to shoot more and shoot better and still save some fun dollars.

I picked up a single stage RCBS press for a whole 5 dollars at an estate sale. I spent anothe 400.00 or so on accessories (only becuase I got the programable powder measure, could have spent half that and went onld school and still been in the game). I get wheel weights by the bucket for free form a local mom and pop car repair shop. I pick up brass at the range for free. The steel pot for melting the lead cost me just .50 cents to melt lead in over a 7.00 hot plate. The only things I really had to buy that are consumables is Primers and Powder. It took about a year for me to recoup my cost and break even.

Now I have more ammo to practice with and more ammo rat holed away for a rainy day than you can shake a stick at!!! I now have 2 presses, and with all my accessories it all easily fits in a foot locker box keeping things easily portable.

Why get another gun, store more repair parts to keep it running, keep another type of ammo around. If you dont have ammo...its nothing more than a pricey paper weight. Just something to think about...

·
Super Moderator
Psalm 34:4
23,557 Posts
Marlin 30.30 lever action. Under 400 at walmart, & ammo in TN is 13-15 a box

·
Registered
127 Posts
consider a marlin camp carbine 9mm, or a beretta storm in 9mm. i dont know of any ammo besides .22 thats cheaper ,as common and reliable. then you can also get a 9mm semi pistol

·
American fearmaker
14,245 Posts
I would consider buying a Ruger 10-22 carbine, a decent scope for it and some bricks of ammo for a general emergency situation. Also remember to get a number of magazines to have loaded and available for those sudden "social occasions." But if you are inside of Chicago, keep in mind that guns are pretty much illegal in Daley's Peoples' Republik. Don't do anything illegal!! Rather than be jailed, move outside of Chicago and find a city/area that doesn't mind honest people owning guns. Inside of Chicago you have to either be a hoodlum, criminal or Democrat to own, possess or carry a gun which equates to bad people having guns illegally one way or another...

·
American
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would consider buying a Ruger 10-22 carbine, a decent scope for it and some bricks of ammo for a general emergency situation. Also remember to get a number of magazines to have loaded and available for those sudden "social occasions." But if you are inside of Chicago, keep in mind that guns are pretty much illegal in Daley's Peoples' Republik. Don't do anything illegal!! Rather than be jailed, move outside of Chicago and find a city/area that doesn't mind honest people owning guns. Inside of Chicago you have to either be a hoodlum, criminal or Democrat to own, possess or carry a gun which equates to bad people having guns illegally one way or another...
I know tell me about it. lol. I been planning the big move for quit some time to a state that actually tolerates freedom. I was thinking about a 10-22. But I already have a model 60.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts