Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Your handle is Mouse pad

Must be why you want a 22 short. That thing is worthless. I did take one rabit years ago with a friend rifle but I wasnt impressed
ahhh, god! that flame is hot....yeah, but you must be right. the longest current-production cartrige to date must be absolutely WORTHLESS! ...might i ask what his excellency suggests on the matter of cheap, sub hundred dollar rimfire guns would be? and may i get you a cold beverage?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Try a Marlin bolt action model 25 or any of their other bolt actions they will serve you well and parts will always be available, I have the model 25 and a Crown Prince single shot, both good shooters.

·
Living the dream:-)
1,620 Posts
I have had great luck on my winchester 1906 pump. Also has a take down screw which makes it nore compact. I got a deal from a friend for 100. It looks like crap but shoots true no jams or miss fires so far

·
LEGAL citizen
15,269 Posts
Many of the semi's will shoot 22 short, but it's hit or miss on how well they eject/feed the rounds. Many of them jam and from what I've seen, it's hit or miss from rifle to rifle. However, if it does jam/misfeed, you could clear it it about the same time it would take you to cycle a bolt... so I guess it doesn't matter.

·
Registered
13,265 Posts
I had a Beretta semi auto 21 that shot the .22 short .
By no means, is it a man stopper ,especially on a doped up crazy.
But it might give an edge on an aggressive dog ,placement is particularly important.
A very close range gun to begin with .
Referred to as a mouse gun. Not a MOOSE gun . LOL

·
Reb.... and Proud Of It!
236 Posts
Ditto on the 1906 pump or similar. My Remington (from my grandfather) will mix short, long or long rifle in the tube and has never misfed or misfired. It is a great one still and deadly accurate in range. My only problem is that around here shorts (when you can find them) are more expensive than LR. I love it for small game (and rats)!

·
reluctant sinner
17,932 Posts
A 22 Hi-Speed Short will take deer. Back in the day it was the preferred poacher round because it was quiet. Yes you need to be a good shot and a skillful stalker. My dad knew a guy in the 20's that poached 100's of deer with cheap single shot that the guy had to pry out the empties with a pocket knife. A buddies grandpa shot and killed 100's of deer and elk with a 22 mag single shot back in the 50's - 70's.

If you plan to shoot shorts only, get a rifle chambered for them, a long rifle chamber will be less accurate shooting shorts. Bullet jump before engaging the rifling is the reason.

It's hard to find any 22 shells these days but when I see them they are usually 22 Long Rifle.

Have you consider a center fire rifle? If you reload your ammo with your own cast bullets you can shoot almost as cheap as a 22LR. Reloading can be very light and reasonably priced. A good chambered firearm does require much at all. Look at the Lyman 310 loading system or the Lee Reloading Kit.

Any of 22 center fire with cast bullet load to 22 mag level: powder for 500 to 1000 (/M)rounds $20-$30,primers about $35 per 1000. Bullets $10 for lead and fuel.

30-06/30-30 loaded to 357 mag level: primers $35/M, powder $40-$60/M, bullets lead and fuel $30

45-70 about the same but can be loaded with shot to be a good substitute for a 410 if you load it the right way. Loading cast bullet at full level: primers $35/M, powder $140-$210/M lead $100

A 12 gauge with reloads using home cast slugs or buckshot: primers $50/M, powder $120-$180, lead $100 Plus you can get auxiliary chambers to shoot other shells in the 12 like 22LR, 38 Special 44 Mag practically endless variety. Some adapter designs are way better than other in terms of accuracy. I have a nice 3 inch mag H&R single shot cut back to 20 inch barrel with screw in chokes that I'm very fond of. I have the deluxe Lee Loader kit for it. I cast the Lyman 1.25 ounce sabot slug for it. Will stay on a paper plate at 90 yards. I also cast OO buck for it, need to get a mold for #4 buck.

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
hunted raccoon with my uncle when i was a kid. we used .22 shorts because of the quiet report. and they were deadly with a single shot.
try some of your local pawn shops and gun shops for a nice used bolt action .22. i have one from back in the 1940's that is excellent for small game. you should find them well within your price range and you won't have to pay for shipping or an ffl as with the big website sellers/auctions.

·
patriarch
4,941 Posts
i am looking for a rifle that chambers .22 short for a low price. it must be working and im looking to spend maybe 90.00-115.00.

action and make dont matter.
Most bolt .22 rifles will chamber a short. Of course the auto probably won't eject due to low recoil. I shoot a .22CB (conical bullet). Suppose to have no powder. Here is an explanation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.22_CB

I shoot these in my .22 auto, of course you have to eject the shells. I wish I had a single shot. I kill rabbits all the time around my garden, in the neighbors yard, and a few other places I will not mention. I practice zero visibility. I also take it to work and shoot water snakes around a large water drainage pipe. Just make sure you are shooting into the ground or have a back drop. I zeroed the scope in my back yard. The report (sound) is like an airsoft gun, paint ball gun, nail gun is louder. Cartridge is not cheap!

The reason shorts are not recommended in a gun that you will want to shoot long rifles in is simple, the powder residue will build up in the chamber. Right at the end of the short shell and the long rifle will not pass that buildup or if forced, will not eject. You will not have any problems if the gun is cleaned properly between shell sizes.

·
Registered
13,265 Posts
I should be assumed that be it a CB or a mag. they should be treated the same respect.
Lead poisoning is serious no matter how it occurs.
I have heard of kids that played with CB disrespecting their potential .It didn't work out so well for them . This was long before air soft and paint ball were invented.
Just a warning in the event sone one get's the idea the low velocity is some how similar to air soft.
Air soft is around 300-400 FPS and a 12 grain plastic BB, it will blind and take out teeth, hence the safety equipment.
Low velocity rounds are excellent for target shooting and serious competition .
But if you only need low velocity shooting, air guns are cheaper to shoot altogether.
And there are BB guns that are CO2 and look and feel and mechanically function the same as the fire arms they are built to represent. ( and really fun to shoot.)

·
Registered
757 Posts
A 22 Hi-Speed Short will take deer. Back in the day it was the preferred poacher round because it was quiet. Yes you need to be a good shot and a skillful stalker. My dad knew a guy in the 20's that poached 100's of deer with cheap single shot that the guy had to pry out the empties with a pocket knife. A buddies grandpa shot and killed 100's of deer and elk with a 22 mag single shot back in the 50's - 70's.
Back in the day?

The still use them here, climb up in an apple tree and wait. The skill is in getting to the tree without being spotted by the landowner.

(guy I know had a friendly bear join him :D:)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts