Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm new to the Survivalist scene. And I recently just purchased my first gun, a Ruger Mark III 22/45 with a Bull Barrel (5 1/2in.). I purchased this gun because before shooting it I've never actually shot a pistol and wanted to get used to the action. Now I want to move into the riffles and so I've been looking to purchase a .22 riffle that I can share ammunition with. I've had my heart set on a Marlin Golden 39A. I love the lever action and from everything I've read it's a very accurate riffle that'll last a lifetime.

But just the other day my dog tore some of the ligaments in her knee, which means I had to spend over half the money I had saved for my new riffle on her tests and steroids. So now I'm faced with saving up for another couple months or finding another riffle that'll serve me just as well for a lower price (the Marlin was sort of pricey at $500 for a new Golden 39A).

So I'm asking, are there any suggestions as to a new riffle I should be looking at that's less expensive or perhaps I should just save up again for the Marlin. Any advice would be appreciated!

Paul of Mobile

·
Rifleman
1,600 Posts
Have you looked at the Ruger 10/22? Great gun for the money. You can customize it yourself and you should be able to find one on the used market for $150 or so.

·
Banned
1,533 Posts
've had my heart set on a Marlin Golden 39A. I love the lever action and from everything I've read it's a very accurate riffle that'll last a lifetime.
GREAT CHOICE !!! Buy it and never look back .

Rifle ................................just say'n :D:

·
Opinionated old fart.
8,046 Posts
Have you looked at the Ruger 10/22? Great gun for the money. You can customize it yourself and you should be able to find one on the used market for $150 or so.
NO! You have selected a good rifle, there is no reason you can't wait a little longer to get a good one.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I you feel that you need a 22 rifle NOW then get a used or new Ruger 10/22. They run around $200 new. If you can stand the wait then just get the rifle you want. You may appreciate it more if you have to save for it.

·
Unseen
667 Posts
Agree with most here, hold out and buy that 39A you want. it is, in my mind, the greatest .22 rifle ever made. I wish I could say I own one, but I don't. My savings is building for it, but one day.... she will be mine... :)

·
Registered
6,445 Posts
I you feel that you need a 22 rifle NOW then get a used or new Ruger 10/22. They run around $200 new. If you can stand the wait then just get the rifle you want. You may appreciate it more if you have to save for it.
The above statement sums it up very well IMO.

11B

·
American fearmaker
14,245 Posts
You may want to consider some bolt action Mauser rifles. They come in a variety of calibers. You can also get some surplus rifles like British SMLE in .303 British or SMLEs made in India that shoot .308 ammo. You can also get a Mosin Nagant in 7.62 X 54 R for a real cheap bolt action rifle or you could get a SKS carbine. The SKS would be a semi-auto fire carbine that shoots the 7.62 X 39 ammo. Mount a scope on any of these rifles, zero it and you'd be golden for the majority of any survival shooting needs.

·
"Christian-American"
92 Posts
I have owned a Ruger 10/22 and it was a nice gun. The Marlin Golden 39A is a quality firearm. If you have your heart set on it then get it by all means.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts