Survivalist Forum banner

81 - 97 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
I've had a BushHog Estate series 27 hp and a 62" deck for 7 years cutting everything from a briar field to overgrown cow pasture. A little underpowered at 27hp for the really thick grass with that 62" deck but the mower is built like a tank with heavy steel bars protecting the deck. While I've never used a Gravely people tell me they are the most solidly built and handle steep banks better than my BushHog.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Exmark 0 turn is what I like.

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk
They are great mowers. I have a 60 in. cut that's almost 15 years old - still works great. That said I wouldn't feel comfortable routinely cutting at 30 to 45 degrees that @Hilltopper posted. My self, I'd probably go for a walk behind tractor with a brush cutter deck cutting at about 4 inches and let it go at that.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
A differential lock will do what it says and lock both back tires together, so both rear tires get the same amount of power and they both spin the same speed. So if the right tire is 6" off the ground and spinning and the left tire is touching grass both tires are going to spin the same speed and have the same power. This equals no getting stuck or spinning of the tires.
With a diff lock you could possibly even remove 1 rear tire and the other tire will still try to drive the mower.
Riding mowers on hills need a diff lock
Buy yourself a Huskvarna mower with a Kawasaki motor, get the read diff lock, see if the dealer can add fluid to the rear tires for even more traction and never look back.

·
A marathon not a sprint
4,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
A differential lock will do what it says and lock both back tires together, so both rear tires get the same amount of power and they both spin the same speed. So if the right tire is 6" off the ground and spinning and the left tire is touching grass both tires are going to spin the same speed and have the same power. This equals no getting stuck or spinning of the tires.
With a diff lock you could possibly even remove 1 rear tire and the other tire will still try to drive the mower.
Riding mowers on hills need a diff lock
Buy yourself a Huskvarna mower with a Kawasaki motor, get the read diff lock, see if the dealer can add fluid to the rear tires for even more traction and never look back.
This may be my course of action, it's the only dealer around the next town to get service /parts and they are good to deal with , and frankly my dream machines are not in my budget of $5K Canadian dollars and I might go a little over budget at that since things seem to sell at a premium in BC .

·
Swirl Herder
3,838 Posts
This may be my course of action, it's the only dealer around the next town to get service /parts and they are good to deal with , and frankly my dream machines are not in my budget of $5K Canadian dollars and I might go a little over budget at that since things seem to sell at a premium in BC .
See if you can get it fitted with agricultural lug tires (they do make them for ride on mowers) rather than turf tires.

Lug tires are more aggressive and will do more damage to the nicer parts of your lawn if you turn tightly (or leave the diff lock engaged), but they give a lot more traction when you are driving around on the rougher and steeper parts.

·
Registered
223 Posts
HillTopper , you might look into an older sub-tractor, like a kubota , i picked up a used one last year and love it, it has a 3 point hitch and pto , so you can use other tools with it. mine is 4x4 which really helps, just wish i had gotten ag tires instead of turf tires. good luck on whatever you get

·
Registered
4,513 Posts
Not at all true about big box zero turn mowers being lower quality across the board. I bought an Ariens MaxZoom 60 11 years ago and just changed the belts last year. Kawasaki 25 HP engine, Hydro-Gear ZT3100 wheel motors, twin fuel tanks, 10 gauge steel fabricated chain suspended deck, cast iron blade spindle housings, full square channel commercial frame. This has been one tough mower. I mow about 5 acres a week of my property. This mower only lacked a suspended seat which I corrected. The supplied engines were downgraded to Kohlers after I bought mine however. It's unfortunately now discontinued since it was too close to a full commercial mower at a lower price point. Ariens is Gravely by the way and I paid $4500.00 for it new at Home Depot.
Ariens 991087 MaxZoom60 60-Inch 25HP Zero Turn Lawn Mower (mowersdirect.com)
It's mostly the transmission details that differ between models (where they save $10). Is it a POJ "TuffTorq" or a total POJ "TuffTorq" that they save $10/unit?

·
Registered
4,513 Posts
I know I’m the odd one here but I would go for a 50’s-60’s tractor that is wide and low. I have a 35hp Ferguson TO-30 and I have 30*+ hills and out of curiosity taken it up and down and on the sides of all my hills. It has a 3 point which is a massive bonus due to the adaptability. You can even get mounts to put on skidsteer components. The problem I have is the tow behind mowers. For mowing I actually really like a farmall super C with a belly mower. Still need to be careful but you can get wide front ends and 3 point add ons. The big tires roll over bumps and holes more easily and the ground clearance lets you see further out. They are very easy to work on (made in a time where the owner did most repairs and with unpowered hand tools), reliable, and low cost. They are the AK of the tractor world.
IF you install a ROPS/seatbelt that you USE. Those oldtime tractors were designed for plowing flat farm fields

·
Registered
4,513 Posts

·
A marathon not a sprint
4,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 · (Edited)
Check out this style Husqvarna mower for your problem/issue.

Husqvarna articulating riders, riding lawn mowers

John Deere also makes a front deck style mower. The ZTR "fad" for residential mowers has won in residential
Commercial Mowers | Front and Wide-Area Mowers | John Deere US

Wide decks are great for flat terrain NOT for mowing ditches or trimming.

I also vote for more goats. They do a very good job though hard on trees low.
This picture is for you neiowa, MORE and SHORTER GOATS:

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
It's mostly the transmission details that differ between models (where they save $10). Is it a POJ "TuffTorq" or a total POJ "TuffTorq" that they save $10/unit?
The Ariens mower I referenced has Hydro-Gear 3100 wheel motors. These are tough motors and not low end. The exact same motors are still installed on heavier duty Gravely zero turn mowers now.

·
Registered
4,513 Posts
This picture is for you neiowa, MORE and SHORTER GOATS:
Hilltopper - Have pygmys also. Kind of fell into it wintering my father-in-laws project when his health failed. Now have most of them permanently as he is deceased. GREAT lawnmowers. MUCH less hard to keep in/out and easy on smaller pine trees than Boers/etc. Low maintenance. And fun/cute little buggers. Have had 16 kids in the last week (ALL are black/white) from 7 does. Expecting/hoping for at least 8 more kids from the remaining 4 does. 1st time with quads (one runt didn't make it). From a VERY productive buck borrowed again this time. All 11 does are 2nd time or more moms.

Back to your engine powered lawnmower discussion.

·
A marathon not a sprint
4,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
Would you believe after all this , worrying about saving up money to buy new, and my tenants just went and bought a newer John Deere ,and mowed the lawns and weedeated for me . ... ,and then my dog chewed the fenders off their fancy movie car this morning . True to my thought that no good deed goes unpunished . Of course I offered to pay to fix the car .

·
MyPrepperLife
4,264 Posts
Would you believe after all this , worrying about saving up money to buy new, and my tenants just went and bought a newer John Deere ,and mowed the lawns and weedeated for me . ... ,and then my dog chewed the fenders off their fancy movie car this morning . True to my thought that no good deed goes unpunished . Of course I offered to pay to fix the car .
That's great news, Hilltopper. But you know, this thread definitely has not been a waste of anybody's time. I learned some things, and I bet I'm not the only one.

81 - 97 of 97 Posts