Survivalist Forum banner

41 - 60 of 97 Posts

·
Learning
6,708 Posts
Talk to all the dealers near you and decide which is the best. I spoke with John Deere, Husqvarna, Gravely and Intimidator. I went with the top of the line 72" deck Intimidator zero turn. It's an awesome machine and I hope to never buy a mower again.

Great dealer support as well, they are 5 miles from my house

·
A marathon not a sprint
4,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Where does this thought come from that s zero turn flips over easier? By design there center of gravity is lower.

Also when picking a zero turn there all essentially built the same between semi commercial models..so pick your series of drive you want (something serviceable) and pick what engine you want and that will tell you what manufacturers you should pick from.

As to Toro being built in USA...with global materials?
Their own literature says the zero turn should be used on closer to a 10% grade and they would be more inclined to tip climbing up a steep grade as the back end is weighted and the front is pretty much not at all so if the castors hit a bump and lift , or hit dip and the back end is pushing from downhill or going too fast , you could indeed flip the thing end for end .

·
A marathon not a sprint
4,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
At the only dealer in the closest town they have Husquvarna and this model with a Kawasaki engine had the stronger fabricated 48" deck and more deck clearance by at least 3/4 of an inch allowing me to mow a little higher in rough ground and awkward undulating ground . The thing I guess that worried me was the extra height seat on this model sits you about 3 inches higher than the other models and i wondered how that affects the balance places you have to do some horizontal mowing on a slope and the comment above about Husquvarna being less desirable ? Yet things like belts would be available in the local town and servicing since my father may not outlast this mower and the integrity of the people selling it is good service .

I am still mowing with what I have at the moment , no rush to buy immediately but indeed, I will need a new one . I asked , they won't give me this on a trial or rental .

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Hustler zero turn, NOT the consumer grade but the low end of the commercial grade. Get rough traction tires for the back. I bought a new Kubota (great small tractors) and it was fine for a YARD, but sticks etc. just killed it. Neighbor has a Hustler, mows 10 acres (!!!) and has had no problems over 9 years of use. I bought the lower end of the Commercial grade, the regular rear tires were NOT good on steep slopes, and did not stand up to thorns. Replaced with gator type tires and all is great (but need to be gentle on the control levers in year yard, or can tear up the grass). I mow steep slopes (up and down, NOT sideways !!!), fence lines, and basically use like a mini-brush hog. No issues but for worn out a main drive belt in 4 years. I have mowed bamboo, and weeds that were over my head.....
This mini brush hog statement is def true. My deck raises up to 5in and I throttle it back to take it in the woods to mow trails.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Their own literature says the zero turn should be used on closer to a 10% grade and they would be more inclined to tip climbing up a steep grade as the back end is weighted and the front is pretty much not at all so if the castors hit a bump and lift , or hit dip and the back end is pushing from downhill or going too fast , you could indeed flip the thing end for end .
Have the link for that? if it does say 10% what does a ride on say?
My ZTR has the motor out back behind the rear tires so theres no way it's going to flip backwards.

·
A marathon not a sprint
4,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Have the link for that? if it does say 10% what does a ride on say?
My ZTR has the motor out back behind the rear tires so theres no way it's going to flip backwards.
Well there may be no way that mower is going to flip on you on a 20 percent grade but I have a few places that are closer to a 45 percent grade and then having the weight at the back and nothing really at all giving traction up front CAN flip you going uphill . Probably WHY they have a roll bar option ! I saw it discussed in more than one place with specific grades discussed but I don't have hours to go back and find that but I did post one bit of useful information I found back on page two of this thread :

·
Swirl Herder
3,838 Posts
Justr saw this thread now.......

I have a big lawn with some quite steep parts.

The mower I have is a John Deere X595 (bought new in about 2008) - which is diesel powered, has selectable 2 and 4 wheel drive, rear diff lock and a 54 inch deck. It also has remote hydraulics at the back (for other implements) and can be fitted with a loader bucket at the front.

Being diesel and 4x4 it has a lot of weight down low that helps to keep it "this way up" over steep slopes. The 4x4 and diff lock also helps to keep it following a safe line on a side slope.

That model was closer to being a lawn tractor than a ride on mower. While it was quite expensive, the only support/parts I have needed have been filters, oil and replacement mower blades.

The closest current model is this:

It is probably about the most expensive option available........but it is worth considering. I have never regretted getting mine......especially when mowing a slope along the contour and not getting squashed like a bug in a roll over.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Why not go to your Husquvarna dealer and ask for a demo and also ask if they can add fluid to the rear tires for extra weight and traction
If your used to a mower with stearing and brakes a zero turn which has neither of those will always intimidate you.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Another mower brand to think about if it's near you would be John Deere, your going to pay a lot for the brand but they make some ride on mowers with 4x4 and rough terrain tires. They also have possi traction rear ends so it gets better traction on the hills.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
I know I’m the odd one here but I would go for a 50’s-60’s tractor that is wide and low. I have a 35hp Ferguson TO-30 and I have 30*+ hills and out of curiosity taken it up and down and on the sides of all my hills. It has a 3 point which is a massive bonus due to the adaptability. You can even get mounts to put on skidsteer components. The problem I have is the tow behind mowers. For mowing I actually really like a farmall super C with a belly mower. Still need to be careful but you can get wide front ends and 3 point add ons. The big tires roll over bumps and holes more easily and the ground clearance lets you see further out. They are very easy to work on (made in a time where the owner did most repairs and with unpowered hand tools), reliable, and low cost. They are the AK of the tractor world.

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
Steep hills: On a REAL steep hill, you can pop a wheelie going up... will scare the **** out of you, but the frame sticks out and will prevent flipping... you only do that once before you drive around and only go DOWN the super steep hills... I am talking a good 20+ degree slope... Mowing DOWN works fine (with the high grip tires - with the regular tires the ground better be super dry or you will slide.... ). No problem with 10 degree up or down.

·
Super Moderator
Trash Remover
4,189 Posts
In such a situation "I" would probably consider a few goats clean up the steep areas+ milk/meat

·
Daughter OfThe Revolution
Not enough
32,170 Posts
A friend just offered me 10 mules but they need to be rehomed together because they’re emotionally attached. I can PM you the number?

😁🐴

·
Social Deserter
453 Posts
Beautiful property to be proud of. I will offer mowing for life to buy that from you.

All l kidding aside, goats and the old “just let it grow” strategy on huge slopes and a Scag zero turn everywhere else has worked great for me but I love the look of grown up grasses/habitat on hills. As others have stated, a solid frame (many are built real cheap) zero turn makes mowing easy. I hit some slopes similar (although a whole lot fewer in my neck of the woods) and it’s all about direction.

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
You might want to look at an ExMark. - Very over-engineered, but that makes them tough as nails. They are zero turn type and have several price ranges. Stay away from zero turns from Lowes another big boxes. They are cheaper, but there's a reason for that - the store gets to spec the price and the OEM (John Deere, Huskvera, etc) have to come in to their price. You think you're getting a deal and 3 years later, it's broken and you can't get parts or service for it.

As far as hills vs zero turns are concerned, Mr. Vera obviously never used one very long or he would have figured out that you can adjust your path to go UP an easier way, and come DOWN the hill slowly and carefully, therefore vastly eliminating the possibility of an upset. When I first got mine, I was very intimidated with hills and lateral mowing. You are sitting on top of the machine and it feels like it is a long way to the ground and you're going to tip over any second. Once you have learned the machine, proper speeds, etc, it's like any other common sense machine.

Good luck - and have fun - zero turns make mowing a pleasure, not like work!
Ya'll shoot straight and stay safe out there.

WW

WE ALL WANT TO BE FREE, BUT VERY FEW OF US WANT TO BE BRAVE. FOR ALL OF US TO BE FREE, A FEW MORE OF US, ESPECIALLY NOW, MUST BE BRAVE, AND THAT'S THE HISTORY OF AMERICA

K. R. Carleson - Navigator B-24J
Not at all true about big box zero turn mowers being lower quality across the board. I bought an Ariens MaxZoom 60 11 years ago and just changed the belts last year. Kawasaki 25 HP engine, Hydro-Gear ZT3100 wheel motors, twin fuel tanks, 10 gauge steel fabricated chain suspended deck, cast iron blade spindle housings, full square channel commercial frame. This has been one tough mower. I mow about 5 acres a week of my property. This mower only lacked a suspended seat which I corrected. The supplied engines were downgraded to Kohlers after I bought mine however. It's unfortunately now discontinued since it was too close to a full commercial mower at a lower price point. Ariens is Gravely by the way and I paid $4500.00 for it new at Home Depot.
Ariens 991087 MaxZoom60 60-Inch 25HP Zero Turn Lawn Mower (mowersdirect.com)

·
A marathon not a sprint
4,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Beautiful property to be proud of. I will offer mowing for life to buy that from you.

All l kidding aside, goats and the old “just let it grow” strategy on huge slopes and a Scag zero turn everywhere else has worked great for me but I love the look of grown up grasses/habitat on hills. As others have stated, a solid frame (many are built real cheap) zero turn makes mowing easy. I hit some slopes similar (although a whole lot fewer in my neck of the woods) and it’s all about direction.
One reason why I mow the orchard slope is the voles eat my young fruit tree roots and by mowing the voles have less cover and I have more predators get them. I have literally even ziplined small dwarf goats to try to keep them from devastating the fruit trees but help eat the brambles and grass . I have to admit I like it orderly and have thought of geese but others dearly need their sleep here when they get away from work and I am unsure how loud geese are . I am sure geese would still be interesting to coyote and bobcat and the odd cougar if not offered some protection ?

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
If you want a real slope mower look up ventrac mowers. I have used them on very very steep side slopes. So steep the front and rear dual wheels would start to slide on dry ground. Be prepared when you see the price.

41 - 60 of 97 Posts