Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
You talkin' to me?
8,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Were do you live? How did your state rank?

"On Tuesday, the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC) Center for State Fiscal Reform released the ninth edition of the Rich States, Poor States ALEC-Laffer State Economic Competitiveness Index rankings. The study ranks all 50 states based on their economic outlook, calculated by weighing 15 variables in critical economic policy areas....."

Read the rest at:https://www.alec.org/article/rich-states-poor-states-9th-edition-released/

·
The Power of the Glave
3,309 Posts
Were do you live? How did your state rank?

"On Tuesday, the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC) Center for State Fiscal Reform released the ninth edition of the Rich States, Poor States ALEC-Laffer State Economic Competitiveness Index rankings. The study ranks all 50 states based on their economic outlook, calculated by weighing 15 variables in critical economic policy areas....."

Read the rest at:https://www.alec.org/article/rich-states-poor-states-9th-edition-released/
Well---"statistics" can be largely slanted according to "who" wants to prove "what" and justify their own interests.

The "American Legislative Exchange Council" has a name that belies their real purpose. And they are hardly unbiased. It is a lobbying group of some of the largest corporations in America (and the world). They are definitely NOT interested in the welfare of the ordinary working Joe or truck driver. And the states that rank "best" in their study are those states that give the 1% the breaks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Legislative_Exchange_Council

·
You talkin' to me?
8,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well---"statistics" can be largely slanted according to "who" wants to prove "what" and justify their own interests.

The "American Legislative Exchange Council" has a name that belies their real purpose. And they are hardly unbiased. It is a lobbying group of some of the largest corporations in America (and the world). They are definitely NOT interested in the welfare of the ordinary working Joe or truck driver. And the states that rank "best" in their study are those states that give the 1% the breaks.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Legislative_Exchange_Council
Who then hire said citizens and pay wages......

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
This is misleading. Florida is not a rich State. There are tons of people here making barely enough money to survive, lots of very low paying crappy theme park jobs, housing , utilities and rents cost a lot, and there are not a ton of high paying good jobs out there

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Just another partisan lobbying group. If the state is rich and the people poor, is that a good thing?
I would think a poor state with rich people would be more amenable to liberty minded folks.
At first blush I bet there is an inverse relationship between these rankings and income rankings by state.

·
Registered
733 Posts
My state is right in the middle, which doesn't tell the whole story. There are very high end areas with very rich people (I have lived there and been one of those people). There are very poor areas with very poor people (which I now live in and am... "poor"). Last time I checked, the county I live in is the poorest county in the state.

·
Registered
11,970 Posts
Looking at that, I see some of the states I’m considering moving to range all over the place.

SC at 30, AL at 21, TX at 12 and FL at 8.

This will require yet more research. I guess I'll have to look at their reasons for ranking the states. Some of those probably skew the numbers and may not be reasons I care about about.

·
Registered
7,315 Posts
Florida is number 8

According to the article:

"Florida is among the biggest winners in Rich States, Poor States, not only because of its top 10 ranking, but also because, after Texas, no state has seen more Americans move in from other states in the past decade. By virtue of reducing its Communication Services Tax, saving taxpayers $266 million in the process and reducing the overall burden on businesses in the state, Florida will cement its position among the best states in the nation for economic outlook."

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
17,548 Posts
Thank you Mary Faillin for the 1.3 Billion budget shortfall.
I'm pretty new here, but I believe the state of Oklahoma was getting a hugh amount of income from oil and gas royalties. Now that the price of oil has fallen, so has the amount paid to the state.

Fortunately, the state did not spend all the windfall income on useless state programs. They lowered state taxes for retirees like myself to encourage us to move here. I had already purchased my place before this, so I considered this a very pleasant welcome.

Now that oil royalties have decreased, the govenor has amounced that the state income tax exemption for retirees will shrink, and I will pay some tax to make up the difference. I think this is a much better solution than deep cuts to education.

Sorry the truth does not match your liberal bias.

·
Super Moderator
20,674 Posts
Well this should be very annoying to the left here in WI who just hate Gov Walker and our Republican legislature because "they are destroying the state". The left always compares us to our other neighbors who they say are doing much better...NOT

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm pretty new here, but I believe the state of Oklahoma was getting a hugh amount of income from oil and gas royalties. Now that the price of oil has fallen, so has the amount paid to the state.

Fortunately, the state did not spend all the windfall income on useless state programs. They lowered state taxes for retirees like myself to encourage us to move here. I had already purchased my place before this, so I considered this a very pleasant welcome.

Now that oil royalties have decreased, the govenor has amounced that the state income tax exemption for retirees will shrink, and I will pay some tax to make up the difference. I think this is a much better solution than deep cuts to education.

Sorry the truth does not match your liberal bias.
Oh, I'm quite moderate by Oklahoma standards. That may make me a vile liberal by other standards, but considering we are the reddest state in the union I am sure others would view me as quite conservative. I really do love Oklahoma, but our collective inability to solve our persistent, some might say cultural, budget issues infuriates me. The current administration is so nonsensical that even my aunt, who is far right even by Oklahoma standards hates how inept they are.

So why is it that our state is so dependent on oil and gas revenues? We passed right to work, that was supposed to bring in other kinds of industries. We are a very business friendly state, why aren't businesses flocking here? We have two decently-sized metropolitan areas located on major highways and byways. Why are businesses staying in those darn blue/purple states, and not beating down Oklahoma's doors? One answer could be that those states that attract and hold onto businesses have a better infrastructure and education systems than Oklahoma. (That you need taxes to fund)

The issue is that Oklahoma leaders have constantly and consistently cut taxes. Even in the bad times they cut taxes. Even though we are and have been a "poor" state. They were only collecting 1% tax on the oil retrieved through frakking. No other state that fraks collects only 1% on that oil. It's like some African country or banana republic here allowing the taking of natural resources for very little gain. Of course when the governor's husband works as an attorney(with the oil and gas industry) it's easy to see how some of this plays out.

It's not a "liberal bias" to see that the current ineptitude of our state leaders has led to a giant budget shortfall. $250 million to "update" the capitol, $220 million cut to education. While running a $1.3 billion dollar shortfall. So what's more important, smaller class sizes or a reflecting pool, better roads and bridges or a new portico? Funding the police and highway patrol, or new congressional office spaces?

http://kfor.com/2016/03/27/construction-to-begin-on-oklahoma-capitol-repair-renovation/
http://okpolicy.org/severe-education-funding-cuts-threaten-oklahomas-economic-future/

We already spend less than 48 other states on education, so it's not some vast liberal conspiracy to engorge the education budget. Oklahoma's education budget has been constantly cut since '08 even though most other states that had to cut during the worst of the crisis have gone back and funded their public schools again. There has never been a time during my 44 years of life that Oklahoma has been out of the bottom 10 for education spending.

Our roads and bridges consistently rank among the worst in the country, and after many years of driving through most other states I can concur that Oklahoma roads are pretty poor.

What needs to happen is for Oklahoma leadership to step up and vote that any changes to taxes must be re-authorized every year. Good year, keep the tax cut; bad year, don't re-authorize the cuts for that year.

I will again say that ranking Oklahoma 10th is laughable by any measure. OH, except for the measure ALEC uses to rank states, and that's by how many ALEC bills they manage to pass into law.

·
Retired thinker
7,337 Posts
They should do a "smart state dumb state" survey. Maybe that would correlate better with rich state, poor state. I am in TN which is no 7. I am moving. Most of the people around me are poor, dumb as a rock, and on some form of assistance. I lived in PA which is rated 39. Most of my neighbors were intelligent, hard working, successful and moving up the income ladder. I guess you can't generalize overall by state. If you are around smart, hard working people things will be looking pretty good. If not, better move!

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
17,548 Posts
Oh, I'm quite moderate by Oklahoma standards. That may make me a vile liberal by other standards, but considering we are the reddest state in the union I am sure others would view me as quite conservative. I really do love Oklahoma, but our collective inability to solve our persistent, some might say cultural, budget issues infuriates me. The current administration is so nonsensical that even my aunt, who is far right even by Oklahoma standards hates how inept they are.

So why is it that our state is so dependent on oil and gas revenues? We passed right to work, that was supposed to bring in other kinds of industries. We are a very business friendly state, why aren't businesses flocking here? We have two decently-sized metropolitan areas located on major highways and byways. Why are businesses staying in those darn blue/purple states, and not beating down Oklahoma's doors? One answer could be that those states that attract and hold onto businesses have a better infrastructure and education systems than Oklahoma. (That you need taxes to fund)

The issue is that Oklahoma leaders have constantly and consistently cut taxes. Even in the bad times they cut taxes. Even though we are and have been a "poor" state. They were only collecting 1% tax on the oil retrieved through frakking. No other state that fraks collects only 1% on that oil. It's like some African country or banana republic here allowing the taking of natural resources for very little gain. Of course when the governor's husband works as an attorney(with the oil and gas industry) it's easy to see how some of this plays out.

It's not a "liberal bias" to see that the current ineptitude of our state leaders has led to a giant budget shortfall. $250 million to "update" the capitol, $220 million cut to education. While running a $1.3 billion dollar shortfall. So what's more important, smaller class sizes or a reflecting pool, better roads and bridges or a new portico? Funding the police and highway patrol, or new congressional office spaces?

http://kfor.com/2016/03/27/construction-to-begin-on-oklahoma-capitol-repair-renovation/
http://okpolicy.org/severe-education-funding-cuts-threaten-oklahomas-economic-future/

We already spend less than 48 other states on education, so it's not some vast liberal conspiracy to engorge the education budget. Oklahoma's education budget has been constantly cut since '08 even though most other states that had to cut during the worst of the crisis have gone back and funded their public schools again. There has never been a time during my 44 years of life that Oklahoma has been out of the bottom 10 for education spending.

Our roads and bridges consistently rank among the worst in the country, and after many years of driving through most other states I can concur that Oklahoma roads are pretty poor.

What needs to happen is for Oklahoma leadership to step up and vote that any changes to taxes must be re-authorized every year. Good year, keep the tax cut; bad year, don't re-authorize the cuts for that year.

I will again say that ranking Oklahoma 10th is laughable by any measure. OH, except for the measure ALEC uses to rank states, and that's by how many ALEC bills they manage to pass into law.
As someone who recently moved out of California, let me assure you that high taxes do not automatically equal good jobs, and a top notch education system. Their taxes are high, their schools are unsafe (drug and gang violence) and their unemployment is still around 18%.

When a state has been dominated for decades by liberal Democrats, high taxes are simply wasted on useless programs. The schools still suffer, perhaps even more, since liberals always want to control education spending for their own ideas.

You also might want to compare the economy and the business climate here in OK with other Midwestern states. I just returned from visiting family in Iowa where the state taxes are 3x Oklahoma. Farms keep increasing in size because young people (including potential farmers) are leaving. They lost most of their manufacturing jobs due to Nafta (thanks again Govenor Vilsac and President Clinton) and so they keep raising taxes on the few folks who remain. Whole damn state looks like a morgue.

You may not like everything about Oklahoma, but raising taxes here would not fix any of the problems that remain.

·
Registered
44 Posts
"You may not like everything about Oklahoma, but raising taxes here would not fix any of the problems that remain."

I disagree. Oklahoma has a low tax burden compared to the states in our region, and yet businesses are not clamoring to relocate to our state. This is due to our infrastructure and education. Things that require a strong tax base to build up. We have built everything around the extraction of oil and natural gas, but do not plan for lean times. This is a failure of leadership.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
17,548 Posts
"You may not like everything about Oklahoma, but raising taxes here would not fix any of the problems that remain."

I disagree. Oklahoma has a low tax burden compared to the states in our region, and yet businesses are not clamoring to relocate to our state. This is due to our infrastructure and education. Things that require a strong tax base to build up. We have built everything around the extraction of oil and natural gas, but do not plan for lean times. This is a failure of leadership.
I honestly hope you fit into Oklahoma better than I did in California.

After living there 30 yrs, I found it was easier to sell out and move from a state where I did not share the views of the majority, and move to a state where I seem to fit in just fine.

Ps, I am pretty sure that you and Jojo will not convince the rest of Oklahoma to raise taxes again.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.