Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Dumpster Diver
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well maybe I am a dum bass.. but here I was grabbing some backpack stuff at the dollar store, some peanut -nougat logs (400 quick cals sugar for quick energy , fat for long energy 1/5 of the days protein needs,, and a lot more fun than cardboardy cliff bars,, )

and I saw they had 1 pound bags of rice,, A buck ! Wow ! says I , all the preppers chant Rice and Beans, Rice and Beans and I know my latino friends existed almost entirely on rice & beans for centuries,,

then I look at the cooking instructions,, boil 20 to 30 minutes, let simmer 20 to 30 minutes and so on

and I think, oh no,, maybe in the BOL on a quiet day,, with a roaring fire in the boxwood stove,, but not on the trail over a stealth fire in th pouring rain, with the posse 3 miles behind me

so, I instead grabbed a box of Rotini , same price , same weight, same indefinite shelf life, package only a little bigger,, and a helluva lot easier to pick up if you spill them than grains of rice... and easier to eat without utensils
cooking time 12 minutes,, that is a 1/3 of the fuel, 1/3 the telltale smoke, and quick enough to be on the trail with 1/2 my lead left ..still out of rifle range !!!

of course my old favorite is oatmeal,, even the regular, (not the powdery "instant" that has no chewing satisfaction) has a One Minute Cook Time !!! and mixed with ground up meat, (rodents look more like civilized meals when you grind or finely chop them),,, and some wild onion.. makes a satisfying carbo-protein meat or fish loaf. that does not look unlike something Mama made

·
Beer Truck Door Gunner
30,718 Posts
A dollar for a pound of rice is highway robbery if you are south of the Mason Dixon line. I regularly get 2 pound bags for that price and occasionally a 3 pounder for a buck when they go on sale. Up north could be different but once you start getting into 25 pound bags it is hard to find any calorie source that is cheaper.

Rice does take a while, but the fact is you can pour cold water over it and have rice made in a few hours. You only need to spend energy if you want it hot. I have gone camping and set rice in cold water in the morning and came back at lunch and just needed to heat it up.

·
Preparing
10,972 Posts
I'm new to this so maybe I'm out in left field with this but I'd read that foods containing fats (oil, egg yolk, butter etc.) do not have as long a shelf life because the fats go rancid unless stored in nitrogen.

Since rotini dough contains egg yolk, a fat, it doesn't seem like it would have as long a shelf life as white rice, for instance, which has no fats.

Am I off base here? :confused:

Always glad to improve my LTS education from others with more experience.

Seems like your point about shorter cooking time is an important factor to consider re: Less fuel / time to cook pasta than to cook white rice and beans. :thumb:

Thanking you in advance!

·
Beer Truck Door Gunner
30,718 Posts
I'm new to this so maybe I'm out in left field with this but I'd read that foods containing fats (oil, egg yolk, butter etc.) do not have as long a shelf life because the fats go rancid unless stored in nitrogen.

Since rotini dough contains egg yolk, a fat, it doesn't seem like it would have as long a shelf life as white rice, for instance, which has no fats.

Am I off base here? :confused:

Always glad to improve my LTS education from others with more experience.

Seems like your point about shorter cooking time is an important factor to consider re: Less fuel / time to cook pasta than to cook white rice and beans. :thumb:

Thanking you in advance!
As a general rule, white rice has a better natural shelf life than pasta. Of course one could store either in mylar with an O2 pack and get very long life.

Reactions: LindaLou

·
Registered
4 Posts
Rice is cheaper in bulk. At SAMs it us 18.99 for 50 lbs. cheap, healthy, and with any other condiments added to change the taste the possible combinations are limitless. Rice soaks up the favors of hell use, sauces, and broths. Noodles....not so much.

·
gagged
3,833 Posts

·
dumb farm boy
668 Posts

·
Prepared Gourmet
2,964 Posts
Pasta actually 'requires' no heat at all to be made edible and pliable. It can be soaked for an hour or less in cold or temperate water and be ready to eat, although of course it won't be hot (unless you add something hot to it or put it over the fire for a short time - under shtf conditions that is. A microwave for a minute would accomplish that under normal circumstances). You may want to keep some pasta around in case you don't have even a fire to help 'cook' dinner.

·
Registered
7,911 Posts
I have found that I like to put instant rice in my BOB and such since you can add it to other things and cook it that way (put it in a can of soup, in stew, in a broth, etc rather than cooking separate). As well, instant cooks faster and with less fuel use.

I stock non-instant for my stores at home, as well as boxes of instant for same reasons it is in the BOBs.

Dry pasta noodles last pretty good, and even better if you vacc seal them.

Reactions: McGuyversurvivor

·
Beer Truck Door Gunner
30,718 Posts
Instant Rice definitely is good pack food.

Reactions: Writer's Block
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.