Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wasn't sure where to put this, so it went here. Been stepping up storage lately and came to thinking about something. Aside from wheat it seems that rice and dry beans are big LTS items. As far as I know and can gather, these two items require alot of water to process and have long cooking times. While I am fortunate to have an ample natural water supply very close by, I may be moving and not have that luxury anymore.

Has anyone taken water (especially) and fuel into consideration when storing these items? Maybe there are better ways to cook them than the traditional soak and boil for 2 hours, or maybe recipes that reduce time, or cook rice and beans together in some fasion. Maybe I'm missing something totally.

I dont have a pressure cooker, but I'm cosidering it. (never used one)

ANY help and/or information would be greatly appreciated...Thanks-

·
A friend of the Site
1,966 Posts

·
trois pour cent
5,942 Posts
You could use an old backpacking trick that I have used.
I run the beans through a grinder, doing a course grind, and pack them in ziplocks before the trip. Then I add them to the water in which I wlll be cooking them later for a good soak. I would just dump them in a nalgene bottle with just enough water to cover them about 2-3 hours before dinner time, letting them soften as I hiked.
Then I just poured the mixture into my small pot and cooked.
With the grind and soak, the beans cooked much, much quicker and didn't require so much water. Add a little meat and it's a nice meal.

The pressure cooker is also a great option.

·
Registered
3 Posts
As far as water goes, I've read that the addititives to tap water enable it to be stored for up to a year. I was planning on getting some plastic (I know. I wish it wasn't plastic, too) 5 gallon cans, filling them up with good old tap water, storing somewhere cool/dark and then dumping/refilling every 6 months.

As for gas, well that's another animal. Haven't looked into that yet.

Also been meaning to look into a good source of economical, bulk, water treatment tabs and a good, hand-pump water filter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.