Survivalist Forum banner

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Just discovered you can use the juice from cooking a roast in a crockpot to make a batch of beans. Didn't have any bacon to throw in the beans and I was concerned how it would turn out. But it turned out pretty good. Not the best batch of beans I ever made but pretty good for not really having meat or fat added.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Bacon grease may be the most underrated cooking ingredient known to all mankind, except muslims, who will never know of its' true awesomeness. I try to stockpile it whenever I use bacon in a recipe, and some oldtimers have told me it does not go rancid if stored correctly. I am dubious of that, but I love bacon grease a lot. It adds a smoky component to dishes even when you don't want to add any actual bacon; it injects an element of complexity.
My Grandmother used to save her bacon grease all the time and we would cook with that. Yum Yum. What would you think of maybey freezeing the grease, of course youd have to make sure it was a full dish so no water crystals would form, if they did you couldnt fry with it.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
My Grandmother used to save her bacon grease all the time and we would cook with that. Yum Yum. What would you think of maybey freezeing the grease, of course youd have to make sure it was a full dish so no water crystals would form, if they did you couldnt fry with it.
I've read that if you get most of the particles out by straining it, the bacon grease will stay fresh longer. It's the bits of bacon that usually turn rancid.

·
Set Free
1,352 Posts
I usually eat rice with chicken , pork or beef . Usually the beef and pork roasts go in the crock pot with onions, peppers , carrots or whatever veggies in the fridge. Put a couple cups of water in the crock pot with some chicken soup base ( or beef bullion) and various spices.Then I make the rice seperatley and put the meat and stock over the rice. Sometimes we will use cream of mushroom soup to mix it up.

For plain rice my favorite is Sweet Bay Rays BBQ sauce and have even used salad dressings to change it up. Tomato sauce and spices along with veggies is good also.

·
Super Moderator
65,835 Posts
I've read that if you get most of the particles out by straining it, the bacon grease will stay fresh longer. It's the bits of bacon that usually turn rancid.
My mom used to strain hers. She couldn't get all the fines and it would still go rancid. But it kept for months that way, even in the heat.

·
Proverbs 26:4
2,112 Posts
I remember both of my grandma's always having a Mason jar full of bacon grease sitting on the back of the stove.

Sadly the bacon we eat is turkey bacon and there is no grease left over after cooking it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Like most of us here I have lots of stored white rice and dried beans. I have several variety of beans, black beans, red beans, lima beans etc.

I have been experimenting with different ways to "spice" up this combination of what will no doubt be a very common SHTF meal. Adding soy sauce, dehydrated onions and other spices.

I would like to hear about your recipes or ideas using rice and beans and adding a few other thangs!!
I would sub brown rice first of all. More nutrients, fiber etc. Olive oil on rice is good and provides important fats and calories. I toss on garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. Sometimes I toss on cayenne.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Black Bean Burgers http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/homemade-black-bean-veggie-burgers/Detail.aspx
* 1 (16 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
* 1/2 green bell pepper, cut into 2 inch pieces
* 1/2 onion, cut into wedges
* 3 cloves garlic, peeled
* 1 egg
* 1 tablespoon chili powder
* 1 tablespoon cumin
* 1 teaspoon Thai chili sauce or hot sauce
* 1/2 cup bread crumbs

Directions

1. If grilling, preheat an outdoor grill for high heat, and lightly oil a sheet of aluminum foil. If baking, preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C), and lightly oil a baking sheet.
2. In a medium bowl, mash black beans with a fork until thick and pasty.
3. In a food processor, finely chop bell pepper, onion, and garlic. Then stir into mashed beans.
4. In a small bowl, stir together egg, chili powder, cumin, and chili sauce.
5. Stir the egg mixture into the mashed beans. Mix in bread crumbs until the mixture is sticky and holds together. Divide mixture into four patties.
6. If grilling, place patties on foil, and grill about 8 minutes on each side. If baking, place patties on baking sheet, and bake about 10 minutes on each side.

I also love to make hummus with chickpeas but sometimes I make it with white beans. The kids love it too. Great with homemade pita bread which is pretty quick and easy to make and can be cooked on a griddle over the fire.

·
Registered
13 Posts
We love rice. White rice, black rice, red rice, brown rice, it's all good! For long-term, white rice is the way to go, and I try to keep it in our diet. I sometimes either brown it first, or cook it in chicken or beef broth, or both.

To brown the white rice, heat up some butter, olive oil, or other fat, then add the white rice. Brown the rice, stirring often, taking care not to burn the rice. Then add water according to directions, and add other ingredients as desired. Pretty much the same instructions as used to be(haven't bought it in 10 yrs) on Rice A Roni boxes.

I think the best thing to do is experiment now and find out what works for you and your family. As with other preps, it's better to work out the kinks now than in a pressure situation. I feel better feeding something that didn't work out to the pets now than having to do it when replacement supplies aren't readily available or affordable.

61 - 69 of 69 Posts