Survivalist Forum banner

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
V
21,713 Posts
Rice + Beans/Pea's + (favourite) Chilli sauce = good to go (add meat for variety)

Rice + Beans/Pea's + Gravy = good to go (add meat for variety)

I do mess around with different types of fried rice but its trial and error and I never weigh ingredients just go by taste.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I also know folks that like rice with milk and sugar but I never heard of adding beans to the mix,maybe someone can experiment
I ordered some rice & beans from a Panamanian restaurant that had sweetened coconut milk in the mixture. It was pretty good and different from the usual tastes. I think the bean might have been a pigeon pea.

----

Personally I would approach rice & beans like a "salad" rather than relying on different spices & flavorings. e.g. mix rotel tomatoes and whole corn into the mixture. Maybe go outside the box and add toasted sliced almonds to give it some crunchy texture.

·
Super Gassy Moderator
66,290 Posts
What I found was the easiest way for myself, was to just start looking into the cuisines of the world. Many cultures use some form of bean/grain combo among their staple foods. Wow, is there ever a lot to choose from! You could cook beans and rice every day and never eat the same meal twice in your life. Add some variety in beans, grains and spices and the number of different combinations becomes astronomical.

You can google up more than you can print. And be sure to browse through cookbooks as you come across them. I've picked them up here and there over the years and have over 200 now.

·
Premium Member
8,767 Posts
I'm intrigued by your suggestion. I never thought of that. I'm wondering if the humidity is going to turn it into a messy clump. Any additional tricks or suggestions?
Well I have only done it once but it worked pretty good. Once it cooled I just put it in a plastic container and it has not clumped.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I personally think the key to great beans is GREASE. Doesn't matter what kind, just plenty of it. We use bacon drippings for refried beans or olive oil when we want to be good. Put a nice piece of bacon or sausage in a pot with beans and that's all you'll need except for a little extra salt. Mmmmmmm.....

·
Waiting...Watching..
2,235 Posts
Speaking of beans - Anyone know how long baked beans in cans are good for after the expiry date. I got a whole mess of em but I cant tell if its a use before date or a best before.

·
Super Gassy Moderator
66,290 Posts
Speaking of beans - Anyone know how long baked beans in cans are good for after the expiry date. I got a whole mess of em but I cant tell if its a use before date or a best before.
As long as they are still sealed, they won't ever actually spoil. But over time (years!) they will start to lose their flavor and nutrition somewhat. I've eaten them that were a couple years past expiry and they tasted great, so I wouldn't worry a whole lot about them.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Like most of us here I have lots of stored white rice and dried beans. I have several variety of beans, black beans, red beans, lima beans etc.

I have been experimenting with different ways to "spice" up this combination of what will no doubt be a very common SHTF meal. Adding soy sauce, dehydrated onions and other spices.

I would like to hear about your recipes or ideas using rice and beans and adding a few other thangs!!
When I get home from the toxic beach I will send you an email. If you have a fax machine I will fax you a bunch of recipes that I bought on EBAY. I will see if he still has it on email.. if so I can just email it to you.

·
Waiting...Watching..
2,235 Posts
As long as they are still sealed, they won't ever actually spoil. But over time (years!) they will start to lose their flavor and nutrition somewhat. I've eaten them that were a couple years past expiry and they tasted great, so I wouldn't worry a whole lot about them.
Thanks Mike. I've been hearing bad things this week so i invested 200 dollars on wholesale food. beans were special offer by the pallet ($20) so I got two but I didnt know if they were any good for the long haul. Good to know they wont go off(might buy 2 more:D:) and some air freshener

Reactions: MikeK

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I've been trying to switch my eaters to brown rice. It's the exact same grain, with a little less of the healthy stuff milled away (like buying unbleached white flour instead of bleached white flour.) It has a pale tan color that will be disguised by anything else you do with the dish anyway.

Have to admit I am strange, I don't like the texture of beans, but a well-seasoned bean broth with a biscuit or some toast and I am very happy. When I need the health benefits of beans, I will often just stir in some chopped up bbq brisket or something else with alot of flavor and it's own texture to enjoy.
I like brown rice but I don't store it because it does not hold well.

·
Super Gassy Moderator
66,290 Posts
Thanks Mike. I've been hearing bad things this week so i invested 200 dollars on wholesale food. beans were special offer by the pallet ($20) so I got two but I didnt know if they were any good for the long haul. Good to know they wont go off(might buy 2 more:D:) and some air freshener
Ah, if they're new you're looking at 8-10 years before even starting to worry. I buy like that too when I run into a good deal. I hope air freshener is on sale too! :D:

·
Registered
33,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
When I get home from the toxic beach I will send you an email. If you have a fax machine I will fax you a bunch of recipes that I bought on EBAY. I will see if he still has it on email.. if so I can just email it to you.
Thanks, just let me know!

I'm looking forward in seeing that:)

·
Banned
7,436 Posts
Sprouting beans will make some of those dried meals fresh. all you need is a mason jar the outer rim and cheese cloth. Wet and drain daily and keep in a cool dark place. You will have something fresh from dried beans in a couple of days. It goes well with rice and cooked dried beans.

·
failing to prepare is....
17 Posts
Rice and beans can also be ground into flour, adding another base for the staples. You could make bean cakes or rice cakes. The Mayans had "the Three Sisters" Beans, Corn and Squash. They seemed to do fine....until the darn Spaniards showed up :) Seriously, there are so many options. I love sardines and kippered fish. The sardines with hot peppers are especially good. Serve with a bit of beans and rice and if you're lucky, a slice of bread. You then have one nutritious and FILLING meal. If you alternate your meals basic flavor/theme then it won't get so boring. Try to alternate your menu with different cuisine themes, i.e. mexican flavor one day, an asian flavor the next, maybe southern style the next, and one day with just one item - bland, so you appreciate the others more! I personally love beans (pinto, navy etc.) and ham. I could eat them every other day easily. Many people in 3rd world countries just eat rice every day so I would consider myself lucky to have more than that.

21 - 40 of 69 Posts