Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
33,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like most of us here I have lots of stored white rice and dried beans. I have several variety of beans, black beans, red beans, lima beans etc.

I have been experimenting with different ways to "spice" up this combination of what will no doubt be a very common SHTF meal. Adding soy sauce, dehydrated onions and other spices.

I would like to hear about your recipes or ideas using rice and beans and adding a few other thangs!!

·
Registered
781 Posts
A little meat can go a long way when added to rice & beans. I've grilled a single chicken breast, sliced it thin, and added it a pot of rice & beans to make lunch portions that I freeze. I can easily get a couple weeks worth of take to work lunches. Spam works well too, but I can't get it to slice quite as thin.

We grew several types of hot peppers last year and ended up dehydrating a lot. Those work great too. Sun dried or dehydrated tomato slices can add some flavor as well.

·
Titleless
1,361 Posts
I also know folks that like rice with milk and sugar but I never heard of adding beans to the mix,maybe someone can experiment
Why experiment? That rice was a staple vegetable to my hillbilly family. It is still the base for my food preps. Goes with almost anything, fruit, veggie, grain, bean, meat, or just by itself. Afterall, 2 billion Asians can't be entirely wrong, can they?

As for the beans, I try to always use cornmeal in some way during a bean meal, cornbread, hoecakes, etc, just to help flush out the nutrients. They do go together taste-wise as well.

·
7,504 Posts
I've been trying to switch my eaters to brown rice. It's the exact same grain, with a little less of the healthy stuff milled away (like buying unbleached white flour instead of bleached white flour.) It has a pale tan color that will be disguised by anything else you do with the dish anyway.

Have to admit I am strange, I don't like the texture of beans, but a well-seasoned bean broth with a biscuit or some toast and I am very happy. When I need the health benefits of beans, I will often just stir in some chopped up bbq brisket or something else with alot of flavor and it's own texture to enjoy.

·
7,504 Posts
Nothing beats plain old Louisiana red beans and rice, add the hot sauce to your taste.
Can TOO beat it! Cajun fried turkey, with some Louisiana style bread pudding for dessert! (But that is my opinion, it is what suits my tastes ... mmmm, now I have to figure out how to can the cajun fried turkey.)

·
RESET CONGRESS!!
9,462 Posts
Like the posters above, I keep a ton of dried spices in the pantry. Really wakes up dishes.
Lots of salt and pepper. Herbs. Dried soup mixes. I'm not really adding much to the lists already posted, just emphasizing the need to keep seasonings on hand.
Oh, and chicken-beef bullion cubes. .. a hundred of each for starters.
I also like vegetable stock cubes.
Dried onions, onion and garlic powder.
I visit the local dollar store and head for the spice racks. lol
Dried beans and rice are the bomb.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
rice pudding a standard in the house where I grew up, raisins, milk, eggs,sugar, vanilla and nutmeg added to cooked rice, baked till the eggs firmed into custard... awesome chilled or eaten hot. there must be a thousand varieties of recipes for this old old favorite.
Beans of any sort from navy to pinto, black, or green beans... cooked and then made into a salad with italian dressing, western dressing, or wine vinegar with chopped cooked potatoes, onions, green peppers, corn, cooked carrots, whatever root veggies you want to add. chill and eat... add ham for another flavor. A thousand combinations possible.
tastes best after a day or two when the flavors can mingle.
Beans smushed with peanut butter to make a paste and spread on toast
Beans cooked then drained, buttered with salt and pepper, combine various types or leave them plain.
Rice with chicken broth and tiny macaroni such as alphabets or rizzoto... brown the macaroni with a bit of butter,
add a bit of broth, add cooked rice and stir till the rice is sizzling... rice-a-roni stuff, but home made. Add parsley, celery, onion, sage, whatever sounds good. it is fun to experiment.
add tomato or tomato sauce and brown sugar or molasses for a whole different slant on things with cooked beans or rice. Ham or chicken, pork, all go good with this. add ginger or curry for a real nice little "snap' to it.

·
Registered
741 Posts
What about baked beans, 3 beans salad with vinagar and oil, or add some canned ham, or make bean tostada's, or fresh cooked beans added to a vinagrette with fresh veggies and croutons, cheese. You can make bean soup, minestoni, chili, bean burritoes, enchiladas, taco pizza. The list goes on and on. Add beans as a filler to make meat go further or in place of.
Basically if you got sugar, flour, spices, grains, lard or oil, shortening, vinegar the sky's the limit to your creativity.

Go to a recipe web site and do a search for bean recipes, rice and grain recipes and print out the recipes that look interesting to you and inventory the add ins to make them to your preps.

·
Proverbs 26:4
2,112 Posts
It would be easier to ask,"What can I NOT add to rice?" I live in Arkansas and we are the rice capitol of the U.S.. Cheap and versatile, just like I like it!
I'm with you on that. I am capable of making any kind of concoction in the kitchen. Sometimes it really turns out good, other times, eh...

I keep a very large supply of seasoning on hand. Many mixes and different flavors. Another good idea would be to grow your own herbs. Easy to add to any dish and instantly create a little different flavor to keep thing interesting.
Basil - many varieties with different flavors
Cilantro - goes great with rice
Parsley -
Rosemary -
etc...

I also am big on buying the seasoned rice and rice and beans packs. Most of them come in mylar bags and will last several years without doing anything extra. So many different flavors and varieties are available - the flavors range from Mexican to buttered herb to Thai and so on. Even the yellow saffron rice is real good.. On many occasions I have eaten 3-4 yr old packs of seasoned rice dishes and they were perfectly fine.

It's really not that much more expensive to stock up on things like that. Especially when you find them on sale.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Powdered chili seasoning. Not chili powder, but the complete, whole shebang -- the stuff you just dump in with tomatoes and beef and make chili. The dry powder keeps darned near forever, near as I can tell (I've eaten it at 13 years past it's "expiration" date and it was fine).

Goes great with rice.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts