Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have quite a few boxes of Rice-A-Roni, what is the best way to store them long term? I’m also curious about Bear Creek Soup mixes.

·
Registered
17 Posts
One thing I would suggest is that since Rice-A-Roni in the box is generally just in the box loose. If you have a vacuum sealer that you dump the contents into a bag and seal it to prevent air and bugs from getting into it. Just make sure you keep the instructions on how to prepare it in some manner either electronic copy or a small catalog someplace.

·
Super Moderator. I'm helping!
7,104 Posts
I measured the rice in the box and then dumped a BUNCH of them in a mylar bag along with the seasoning packets and an O2 absorber and sealed it up.

We eat a lot of flavored rice so after that I found a copy cat recipe on line and now I just store the rice and seasonings separate and make my own. It's a LOT cheaper in the long run ...

·
Registered
300 Posts
Don’t buy anymore Rice-A-Roni. It has LOTS of MSG to the point if you out the entire seasoning packet in and eat more than half about 15% of the population get headaches.

it takes great, but you are better off with buying rice and Orzo and making it yourself wirh your own seasoning. If you cook Rice-A-Roni at least try adding half the seasoning packet then Adding some of your own seasoning.
Suggestion try buying Near East instead. If you want you can brown if first and even throw in some Orzo. It’s simply a safer, healthier product

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
Don’t buy anymore Rice-A-Roni. It has LOTS of MSG to the point if you out the entire seasoning packet in and eat more than half about 15% of the population get headaches.

it takes great, but you are better off with buying rice and Orzo and making it yourself wirh your own seasoning. If you cook Rice-A-Roni at least try adding half the seasoning packet then Adding some of your own seasoning.
Suggestion try buying Near East instead. If you want you can brown if first and even throw in some Orzo. It’s simply a safer, healthier product
Ditto on the msg. A lot of the cheap mac and cheese combos do also....I, too, get a headache when there is too much msg, and some of the house brand mac and cheese dinners set me to the medicine chest. I don't know the right words, but I think the rice in rice-a-roni has been processed so that it cooks faster. Does anyone know how to do that?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts