Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
6,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:thumb:

Just got it paroled from the local fun store after is sat in 3 day time out (enough to make a guy kick a Chicago Democrat in the balls). Also if the FFL holder hit's one button on the ISP instant check wrong it takes about 15 minutes to wade through the phone system. Oh well he serves really good coffee in his shop, and he's got this 1917 Enfield ...

First impression - man this thing is coated with a lot of really gooey oil. Shop towel from the dealer cleaned it up a bit. Opened the action and dropped the mag. This thing is TIGHT. Finish is dark black parkerizing - looks nice and even. Quick look and no real tool marks to be seen. All the pieces seem to be in the right places. Magazine (only get one) says made in Italy, I'm not an expert in 1911 mags but this one seems kinda on the cheap side. It has a metal follower and plasic (foot? boot?) on the bottom.

Took it home and dry fired a few times - nice crisp trigger. I was planing to clean it with Ed's White (Ed's Red minus the tranny fluid) but couldn't wait. I also meant to get some cheap ball ammo from the Fun Store but all he had on the shelf was a 100 round bulk pack and some high zoot self defense ammo. So I just used some reloads I have for my S&W 45 ACP revolver, cast 255 gr swc. I figured these might not feed 100% but I WANT TO SHOOT GO BANG BOOM CLANG NOW! Loaded 1 round into mag - racked the slide. Pressed trigger bang, clang! Picked up the case and it looks like a fired 45 case.

I load 8 rounds, I know but I WANT TO SHOOT GO BANG BOOM CLANG NOW! This time when I rack the slide I get a failure to feed. New pistol, 8 rounds in mag and SWC not surprising it balked. Cleared and tried with 7 rounds in magazine. It ate them all without a hickup.

Seems that it shoots straighter that I can hold it still. Now to get a couple more mags and a holster

·
Registered
15 Posts
Theres probably nothing wrong with the pistol. It's the magazine. It will work fine if you only load 7 rounds in it. I have 2 RIA's, 1 GI and 1 Tactical, and they are both the same way with the factory mags. I now its the mags because they do the samething in my Springfield and Para. I have several Chip McCormicks and Wilson mags that work fine. The RIA mags will work for you as long as you remember to only load 7 rounds in them.

·
Experiment 626
2,311 Posts
RIA's usually perform flawlessly if you replace the recoil spring that comes with it with a stronger one. That's about a $10 fix that will solve your failure to feed problems. I bought a wolff 18.5lb recoil spring for mine and have not had any failures since.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I do a little 1911 gunsmithing and i love rra 1911 the steel is the toughest on the market and i have yet to find one i didnt like now as for ammo they are fickle on the winchestor white box but my colt gold cup is too. fyi the frame and slide is made from surplus railroad steel years of compression making it a pretty durable carbon steel frame

·
Registered
220 Posts
Congrats in your RIA GI Purchase.

After hearing lot's of good things about them. I had to get one. Bought a used one that is like new. Took it to the range and it lived up to it's reputation. I fired 100rds of S&B FMJ throgh it withoug any issues. It's accurate (shot some nice groups) but those GI sights take a little getting used too.

Haven't experienced any issues with the mags suplied by RIA. I bought some Mec Gar mags ( recomended by my local gun shop) and have had good experiences as well with them. So I don't feel the need to buy more expensive magazines.

IMO they are a great value for the $$.

·
Registered
166 Posts
A good and trusted gunsmith friend of mine tells customers who're looking to build a 1911 race gun to buy a RIA and go from there. Like infntryman86, he tells me they have some strong steel (as do the old Norinco 1911s).

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
I just got the RIA 1911 Tactical and I am purely in awe of the gun. 150 rounds first day at the range 25 yards all in the black ring... Not a hiccup and most accurate shooting in my life.

·
Registered
8,435 Posts
I would bet your OAL is too long on those 255gr rounds. 230gr is usually the max recommended for 45acp semi auto's.

Get yourself some FMJ or if you are going to reload LRN.
Semi wadcutters are hard on any 1911. You can get them to run but need to adjust your OAL, powder load, crimp etc to find the right load for your pistol.

Testament to the RIA that it was even able to feed and fire a mag of your revolver loads.

I like the Novak Act mags that come with the RIA and have bought more of them.

Tip on 1911's and semi pistols in general, when chambering the 1st. Pull the slide to the rear and let it sling shot forward to chamber the 1st round. This way the spring gets its full range of movement.

From slide lock after the 1st mag is expended, do the same: pull the slide back and let it sling shot forward.
Once the pistol is broken in more, you can use the slide stop/release to chamber from slide lock.

My RIA GI has been 100% right out of the box even with jagged Corbon +P 230gr HP rounds that hang up in my other 1911's.

Now you gotta post some pictures of that fine new firearm.

·
Banned
6,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got to put another 20 rounds through it last night.

I my farmer loaned me a 10 round Pro-Mag fun stick. It looked like a POS and won't feed worth a darn in any of his 45's ( Llama, Colt and some sorta Argentine copy). We used it just for giggles and it fed 10 SWC just dandy. You know a 45 gets right warm after 10 rounds.

I tried 8 rounds in the factory mag and even with vigorous racking of the slide it won't feed - maybe I'll try it from slide lock next time - or I could always use 7 rounds :D:

Still have no issues once it's into battery.

Bud's Gun Shop is where I got mine - very easy transaction - even when splitting the order between a credit (gift) card and money order

·
Registered
109 Posts
Did your RIA come with a ACP mag?

I bought two 8rd Chip Mc's with my gun Metro Arms American Classic II), and it did the same thing. It fed fine, but loading that first round was troublesome. The feed ramp was beautiful.....I let my smith friend look at it, and he said to try a Wilson mag.

Problem solved.

The McCormick and ACP mags allowed the top round to tip forward, preventing the round from chambering, no matter what technique you used. With the Wilson mags, you can feed the round slowly even. Nice mags, worth the money.

S.

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
I've tried getting reliable info on construction of the RIA 1911 pistols and as far as I can tell...the frames are cast and recent slides are possibly machined from bar stock. The older pistols apparently had cast slides as well. Just info so folks know why the pistols are priced so competitively.

Higher priced pistols generally utilize forged frames and slides made of forged steel or machined from bar stock. Examples are Springfields and Colts.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
and a little bird told me he is the curator at the ft Campbell museum, post wwII alot of not firearms companies sold their 1911 machining equipment to the Philippines and not in one and twos but in thousands. He said that several companies including RIA, ATI, make thier 1911 on the original wwII machines exactly to spec.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Looks like it's a shooter wtr100. Is this from the day you put 20rds through it? Or more recently.

Have you got around to getting some new mags and a holster?

·
Banned
1,388 Posts
I'm waiting for christmas for mine. Can't wait. I've heard nothing but good stuff about these pistols. My local dealer has the 1911fs model for $380 out the door.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts