Survivalist Forum banner
81 - 84 of 84 Posts

·
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
Well not really though. Almost all new .38 special revolvers today are rated for +P. Mine is. The main issue is many new snubbies are airweights, which makes the recoil horrendous for the most hot rounds. They aren't even that bad for the basic +P rounds, although it's certainly stout recoil. But, having fired about 20 of the Buffalo Bore +P out of my airweight, that is very heavy recoil.
That’s what I mean. I am sure the modern polymers and steel can handle it but the gun is not necessarily designed for it, meaning optimal operator use is standard pressure but with 357 revolvers, it is slightly different. I know someone with an airlite 357 and it seems crazy to me.

·
Registered
856 Posts
That’s what I mean. I am sure the modern polymers and steel can handle it but the gun is not necessarily designed for it, meaning optimal operator use is standard pressure but with 357 revolvers, it is slightly different. I know someone with an airlite 357 and it seems crazy to me.
Well, but the +P modern ones are designed for it, as far as material strength and so on. A different question is are they user friendly and manageable? I do think that the normal +P's are manageable out of the airweights, once one works up to them. Some aren't bad at all although there is a continuum. They aren't even that much more than a standard pressure. I do think though that the super hot Buffalo Bore and Underwood .38's, and yes .357, are too much out of airweight snubbies. I have zero interest in a .357 magnum airweight snubbie.

·
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
Well, but the +P modern ones are designed for it, as far as material strength and so on. A different question is are they user friendly and manageable? I do think that the normal +P's are manageable out of the airweights, once one works up to them. Some aren't bad at all although there is a continuum. They aren't even that much more than a standard pressure. I do think though that the super hot Buffalo Bore and Underwood .38's, and yes .357, are too much out of airweight snubbies. I have zero interest in a .357 magnum airweight snubbie.
That’s a good point

·
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
For me the .45 has been my EDC go to round/gun most of my life. If I lived in big grizz country maybe the 10mm. But the recoil is greater, and it's yet another caliber to stock ammo for. I can't justify another gun just for animals. Though a 10mm for urban animals seems reasonable these days. ;)
which .45 do you use for edc?

81 - 84 of 84 Posts