Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 different but similar incidents with 2 different outcomes. There was no definitive reason why the Glock wouldn't fire

Those who know will remember when a guy stopped a charging grizzly dead with his revolver:

Charging Bear Killed in Alaska

The closest you will get in a normal pistol to revolver power is 10 mm so here is the story about the guy whose 10 mm Glock failed him and his buddy when a charging grizzly killed one of them:

10mm Glock 'fully functional' in fatal grizzly attack - WyoFile

·
Registered
576 Posts
Ammoland did a study on handguns being used against bears. The results might surprise some...

A snip from the article about it "Firstly, and most surprisingly to yours truly, there were four cases in which the 9mm cartridge was used to defend against bears — every single one of them was successful, and at least three of the four were against grizzly bears. All three of those bears died, and one of them was killed from less than five feet away. "

The total results

·
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I read the story, and it seems to me that the Glock was fine, the client didn't know how to use it. Apparently there wasn't a round in the chamber and also, the client seems to have depressed the mag release, dropping the magazine.
I read that as well. I could see someone getting super nervous and making that mistake no matter how many times you've trained or just dropping it and having it happen

·
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ammoland did a study on handguns being used against bears. The results might surprise some...

A snip from the article about it "Firstly, and most surprisingly to yours truly, there were four cases in which the 9mm cartridge was used to defend against bears — every single one of them was successful, and at least three of the four were against grizzly bears. All three of those bears died, and one of them was killed from less than five feet away. "

The total results
That is surprising and goes to show any gun is better than no gun. Use what you are most comfortable with up to a point. I would never take a 9 mm into grizzly country when 44 mag or bigger is an option but if 9 mm was the only thing available, I would certainly take it.

·
Registered
856 Posts
That is surprising and goes to show any gun is better than no gun. Use what you are most comfortable with up to a point. I would never take a 9 mm into grizzly country when 44 mag or bigger is an option but if 9 mm was the only thing available, I would certainly take it.
Their study I think even showed that 22's were used successfully. Just like Bella Twin using .22 Long on a grizzly.

But, in the 9mm examples, I think at least two of the grizzlies wandered off to die later. This is kinda like the self-defense topics, will it stop them immediately or take time which may mean you being killed? However, in at least one of the grizzly defense shootings with a 9mm the guide did kill the grizzly within a few charges.
Alaskan Fishing Guide Kills Grizzly with 9 mm - LiveOutdoors

·
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Their study I think even showed that 22's were used successfully. Just like Bella Twin using .22 Long on a grizzly.

But, in the 9mm examples, I think at least two of the grizzlies wandered off to die later. This is kinda like the self-defense topics, will it stop them immediately or take time which may mean you being killed? However, in at least one of the grizzly defense shootings with a 9mm the guide did kill the grizzly within a few charges.
Alaskan Fishing Guide Kills Grizzly with 9 mm - LiveOutdoors
I agree and again it would be better than nothing but people have also killed lions with spears. That would never ever be my choice in a million years but if it was all I had…

I have been close to a large mama bear with two cubs in the woods and I remember thinking even a 44 mag would not be able to stop her if she was intent on charging me. It might kill her but she would probably kill me first and then go off somewhere to bleed to death later.

yes, I am sure a well placed perfect shot to the head would take her out but a charging animal is not a static target and that head is moving all over the place and it almost impossible to keep calm and steady

·
Registered
856 Posts
I agree and again it would be better than nothing but people have also killed lions with spears. That would never ever be my choice in a million years but if it was all I had…

I have been close to a large mama bear with two cubs in the woods and I remember thinking even a 44 mag would not be able to stop her if she was intent on charging me. It might kill her but she would probably kill me first and then go off somewhere to bleed to death later
Right, absolutely, it's one of those things where while people have defended themselves against wildlife with virtually everything, is it ideal or what you want if given a choice?

That's where the Alaskan guide with the 9mm was criticized. He went in, guiding paid customers, with a 9mm handgun as a choice. He loaded it with this:

9MM +P OUTDOORSMAN (buffalobore.com)

·
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Right, absolutely, it's one of those things where while people have defended themselves against wildlife with virtually everything, is it ideal or what you want if given a choice?

That's where the Alaskan guide with the 9mm was criticized. He went in, guiding paid customers, with a 9mm handgun as a choice. He loaded it with this:

9MM +P OUTDOORSMAN (buffalobore.com)
Yes, I would say it’s definitely poor planning on his part. I think 44 magnum as a minimum in a handgun and that’s close. I have shot 44 magnum buffalo bore loads out of a Ruger super redhawk and it is physically painful to the shooter. I can’t imagine what it does to things on the other end. If it was me and I was a guide, I would keep a 4570 or if it had to be a handgun, 454 or 460

·
Registered
7,567 Posts
Yes, I would say it’s definitely poor planning on his part. I think 44 magnum as a minimum in a handgun and that’s close. I have shot 44 magnum buffalo bore loads out of a Ruger super redhawk and it is physically painful to the shooter. I can’t imagine what it does to things on the other end. If it was me and I was a guide, I would keep a 4570 or if it had to be a handgun, 454 or 460
I don't think the pain from the recoil would be the issue in that type of situation . The loss of sight picture is a definite problem though.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I have had hundreds, maybe even a thousand bear encounters. I lived in Yosemite Valley as a kid (my mom was an administrator) and chasing bears out of camp grounds was our nightly entertainment.

With my extensive experience and a lifetime of studying bear habits and attacks I made a discovery!

Sometimes you get the bear...

And sometimes the bear gets YOU! 🤣 🤣 🤣 😳

1 - 20 of 84 Posts