Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a revolver guy, I reeaallly love them, and I'm pretty young and I will have lots of time to take in that love, but I'm looking into getting a high capacity semi auto, preferably on the cheap, because when I open carry/conceal I'd like to have 15+ rounds, cheap ammo, and a good solid safety(I have a apprehension to carrying a loaded revolver because I used to be afraid of guns and I am Murphy's law incarnate). What kind of pistol can I get under $500 (not looking for used) that is reliable, and listing any cons will be a plus, to help me make my choice. Now this won't be my SHTF/WROL sidearm, that will be my trusty 686, but this may be my EDC and a back up to my 686.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Well with semi-auto's you have two main types to choose first as I see 'em... either a striker fire pistol or a SA/DA (with a hammer). Most folks prefer the striker fired as they have the same trigger pull from first shot to the rest. Personally I like SA/DA with external hammers just because, well, I'm used to them and I like having a big visual indicator as to what condition my gun is in. You might like them, too, if you're a revolver guy like you say... almost the same concept as a double action revolver.

For a SA/DA, Beretta PX4 Storms can be had for under your price range and have a lot going for them. For a striker fired pistol I'd suggest you look at the Smith and Wesson M&P pistols for about the same price. Just know that the M&P is going to have that trigger safety you probably won't enjoy. However, the PX4 has external safeties and decocker that is almost dummy proof.

·
Registered
696 Posts
You're talking $500 so why not just save up a little more and get yourself a nice Springfield Armory XDM? (I paid $602)

I have a 9mm XDM with 19+1 capacity that shoots very well. Personally, I have the 4.5inch but they sell a compact and are about to come out with a competition model.

Be sure to check these out - they have a good reputation for reliablility and so far, I have to agree.

Springfield Armory 9mm.

·
Registered
400 Posts
If you are a revolver guy you may want to look into semi-autos with revolver like triggers. From less expensive to expensive: SIG p250s, Kahr, and SIGs with DAK triggers and HKs with LEM triggers. I like DAO triggers because I am also a revolver guy from a long time ago. Most people do not like revolvers or revolver-like triggers.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My I've fired my mom's bersa .380 (yep my mom is the only one I know with a sa/da semi-auto) and I really liked it but it was a little small for my hands and I do prefer it to some of the striker fired, but I just want some opinions and any good advice.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have thought about getting the springfield, but I'm looking at some of the cheaper alternatives pretty hard, but if I can't find any good cheaper ones, the XD is my back up.

·
Registered
531 Posts
You may want to give some thought to a Glock....
A lot of the people that shoot in shooting sports are using Glocks.....
Look at a break down list of the parts of a Glock.....As well as the interal
safetys.......
One big sell is that most lawenforcement carry Glocks on duty 40's and few 45's as well as 9 mm's....
Looking at costs find them from $280 to $500 so its in you price range...
The maintance and care is very simple do to the simple design of them..
Several other good pistols out there but I think my first choice will be a Glock.....

·
Registered
556 Posts
My I've fired my mom's bersa .380 (yep my mom is the only one I know with a sa/da semi-auto) and I really liked it but it was a little small for my hands and I do prefer it to some of the striker fired, but I just want some opinions and any good advice.
you said Hi-cap mags right? Does your mother Bersa have the double stack 15 round mags? because their is a BIG difference in the feel between the single and double. I have a Bersa Thunder + :cool: but you said cheap ammo so I suggest a 9mm instead (looking to replace my Bersa right now with either the PX4 or a Glock BTW).

·
Registered
74 Posts
Glock; when one trains at TigerSwan(former Delta's) guess what they use.They have been there, shot the BG in the face, and come home. If they trust a G17/19, for me, that's all I need to know. I went from HK USP's to a G17 and couldn't be happier. Add an extended slide stop and mag release and you're golden. For some the grip angle takes getting used to(I was one) but it doesn't take long until you'll see why so many sing the praises.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Everyone is saying glock, and I know I'll have to get one one of these days but I'm looking at the Ruger P95 because I can buy it, 150 rounds, a holster, and a grip with some cash left

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Glock while a very nice weapon isn't the end all be all of firearms anymore then any other gun. People will talk about part count etc, but sometimes more parts is better sometimes less is better. I can post tons about glocks breaking and how glock has had recalls etc.

That said I carried a Ruger P95 and a glock. Overall I think I preferred shooting the Ruger, but I think the glocks in 9mm are far a bit more reliable and less weight to lug around. Conversely the bigger the caliber in both brands and the less reliable they seem to get. Now I will add the older Ruger P95s which I had weren't as nice as the new ones, and they have updated them a good bit internally though I have no idea.

Overall the choice should be more like this. I am looking at XYZ gun for _____ price cap, has anyone heard anything bad.

Currently I would say stay away from Gen4 glocks and you can still get brand new gen 3s, and Ruger seems like a decent choice as well, and mine was my kayak boat gun never rusted, and shot well.

Good luck

·
Registered
521 Posts
i disagree about the bigger calibers being less reliable..ive owned a G21 for 7 years and have never had a single Jam or failure except when i used one batch of Bad reloads, and in all fairness they wouldnt chamber in anything.

·
Behind Enemy Lines
3,408 Posts
the Smith & Wesson M&P line of pistols would satisfy all of the conditions the OP mentioned, including the thumb safety.

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
I ran into a similar situation with my wife. She shoots (very well) a S&W 586 revolver with 4" barrel. I wanted her to transition to a hi-cap semi-auto in case I'm not home and she needs to defend herself.

I looked and looked...and even bought: Taurus PT-111 and S&W 6906....both 9mm. She dislikes the Taurus (too small = more recoil) but shoots the 6906 well. The 6906 is still more complicated than her trusty 586 revolver...manual decocker/safety.

I looked at Glocks...don't like them for the lighter trigger pull and other reasons. I also have other pistols including 1911 type (Colt gold Cup in .45 acp) and a Steyr M40 (.40 S&W). The Gold Cup has too light a trigger for her in a defensive...(scared - high adrenaline) situation. The Steyr .40 recoils too much for her...nice pistol though and good alternative to Glocks.

I looked at Sigs...P250 to be exact. I found one locally...used with 100 rounds through it for $319.00 and bought it.

It has a DA only trigger and exposed hammer...not a striker fired pistol. This pistol has an approximate 6 pound DA trigger...every time...but 15 cartridges instead of the revolver's 6.

This model has Sig 3 dot night sights. Also...no manual safety...like her revolver. Perfection so far with about 300 rounds through it. A couple hundred more through it and I'll start her transition. I'll load her mags and train her with Federal 115 grain JHP (9BP) standard pressure loads.

The P250 is a really...really good defense pistol for the average homeowner in my opinion...especially for transitioning from a DA revolver. Simple to operate...silky smooth DA only trigger...large magazine capacity...and fast reloads.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts