Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
I love guns
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HARRISBURG, Pa. — A Pennsylvania woman Monday sued a county sheriff who revoked her concealed-weapons permit after she upset fellow parents by wearing her holstered pistol to her 5-year-old daughter's soccer game.

Meleanie Hain alleges in a suit filed in a Harrisburg federal court that Lebanon County Sheriff Michael DeLeo violated her Second Amendment rights and prosecuted her maliciously when he took away her permit in September.

Hain, 30, successfully appealed the revocation last month, although the judge who restored her permit questioned her judgment and said she "scared the devil" out of others who attended the Sept. 11 soccer game.

Hain said Monday her home-based baby-sitting service has suffered, her children have been harassed, and she has been ostracized by her neighbors because of DeLeo's actions. In one instance, she said, a neighbor who saw Hain in a local store had the manager ask her to leave because she was carrying her handgun.

"I fought for my right, and now I'm still being punished," she said.

DeLeo's office referred questions to the county's attorney, George Christianson, who did not immediately return a telephone call seeking comment.
DeLeo said at Hain's Oct. 14 appeal hearing he pulled her license after fielding the parents' complaints. He said he based his decision on a section of state law that prohibits concealed-weapons permits from being given to people whose character and reputation make them a danger to public safety.

Hain has said she previously carried her handgun openly to soccer games and practices and other public places without any problem. Her attorney, Matthew Weisberg, said DeLeo had no legal right to take away her permit.

"The sheriff just rides into town and without any hearing, explanation or anything, takes away her license and forces her into court," Weisberg said.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,457367,00.html

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Hain said Monday her home-based baby-sitting service has suffered, her children have been harassed, and she has been ostracized by her neighbors because of DeLeo's actions.
No, she is being punished because of her actions. Right or wrong she chose to draw this kind of attention to herself by not being aware of her surroundings and how her community felt about guns.She chose to live in a community that is not gun friendly. This woman is definitely not a survivalist. She should have used the permit for what it was meant for. CONCEALMENT!

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
No, she is being punished because of her actions. Right or wrong she chose to draw this kind of attention to herself by not being aware of her surroundings and how her community felt about guns.She chose to live in a community that is not gun friendly. This woman is definitely not a survivalist. She should have used the permit for what it was meant for. CONCEALMENT!
She had every right to carry her fire arm regardless if her "community" likes or dislikes them. She had her paperwork in order. As for a store owner asking her to leave because of it, well thats just bullshlt. Nothing but a bunch of crying sheep in this country.

OH MY GOD SHE HAS A HOLSTERED WEAPON ON SEPTEMBER 11th!!! SOMEONE CALL THE SHERIFF (but wait shes had that thing at everygame)

I think I feel puke in my mouth.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Was she carrying open carry? Connecticut (where I live) is technically an open carry state.. But if I do so, I will be arrested for breech of peace for causing alarm.. Also, if someone even so much as makes me because of the outline of a gun through my shirt and complains, technically, they can also take away my permit..

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
In Texas, concealed means concealed. Yuo can be charge with unlawful carrying of a weapon and lose your chl is if is in plain view (exceptions being commissioned security officers, police and such).

·
Behind Enemy Lines
776 Posts
It said shes carried it to previous games...and has it on her in other stores. Why should it be any different just because of the date?

·
I'm the boogey man.......
6,686 Posts
I have a CWP that's good in GA and VA as well, but when in VA and GA I open carry all the time, its the best deterrent out there....Several cops have seen it, it's legal and no one has ever said a damn thing about it.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I have a CWP that's good in GA and VA as well, but when in VA and GA I open carry all the time, its the best deterrent out there....Several cops have seen it, it's legal and no one has ever said a damn thing about it.
haha.. I envy you.. A dream of mine is to walk around with my gun out in plain sight haha.. Every time I see a cop do it, I get jealous.. But at the same time, those same cops here are also only technically allowed to carry concealed, and do.. So even though CT is an open carry state, I have NEVER seen a person out of uniform with one on his side..

If all responsible gun owners were allowed to carry open, crime rates would just drop.

·
Registered
4 Posts
PA is a open carry state, She was within her legal right to carry openly. I think CCP and Open carry and to very different and separate things, In this case she was obviously choosing to open carry and so this should not have affected her ability to carry concealed if she chooses to do so!

·
Registered
589 Posts
I followed this story closely because I live in PA near to where it happened. In PA it is legal to open carry without a permit but a permit is required to conceal a handgun on your person. Many residents and some police are not aware open carry is legal, in part that there is no mention of open carry in the state law. If there is no law against it, then it is not illegal.

Anyways, the woman was carrying openly at her game and many parents became upset. This woman did nothing wrong and was in her legal right to open carry. After parents complained to the sheriff, the sheriff really wasn't able to do anything to her. She had not broken the law so he could not arrest her or confiscate her handgun. The sheriff even stated she did not break a law, but in HIS OPINION she exercised poor judgement by carrying openly to a soccer game. He was not enforcing the law, but rather his own opinion. By revoking her permit it only forced her to open carry all the time, which was what the parents and sheriff were upset about, but they were still powerless to stop her because it was legal!

IMO, I prefer to carry concealed all the time but I have nothing against those who prefer to open carry. It is their right on how to carry.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
i have a ccw for my home state of texas and my badge lets me carry when on and off duty ..i have a run in with a women at a local baseball game ,.when women went over and told a police officer at the game that i had a pistol under shirt that day..he told that half the poeple there had pistol under there shirts ..he told her that is was police vs firemem softball game night ,.and told her to go sit down and quit brothing people..
i have been in places where they have no firearms signs on the door and i just turn around and leave

·
Looking ahead
2,178 Posts
So a business owner has absolutely no right to set conditions of commerce in his store? I suppose if he had a sign that said "No Shoes, No Shirt, No Service" that would be BS as well?
Shoes and shirts aren't covered in our constitution as a protected "Right". Thankfully a store owner has no right to override the U.S constitution or state law.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
We can open carry here in Pa. She did nothing wrong, ours is not a concealed carry, ours is a license to carry. which is concealed or open carry. Also without the license we can open carry except in a vehicle.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Shoes and shirts aren't covered in our constitution as a protected "Right". Thankfully a store owner has no right to override the U.S constitution or state law.
A store owner has every right to set the rules of his business, just as a forum owner has the right to set rules about what topics are permitted or forbidden, despite the First Amendment.

Or are you one of those whingers that screams "censorship" when your post gets deleted?

·
Looking ahead
2,178 Posts
A store owner has every right to set the rules of his business, just as a forum owner has the right to set rules about what topics are permitted or forbidden, despite the First Amendment.
Yes within the limits of the law. Varying form state to state there are procedures that store owners must adhere to so that their act of discrimination towards gun owners and such are lawful (even if constitutionally unlawful). Some states require a clear and visible sign on the entrances of their doors stating "No weapons" or "No flash photography".

These stores should have a very good reason for their policy and perhaps a court ruling as to why they should be granted immunity from the Constitution otherwise we could have any business pick and choose which laws they feel like following that day. Slavery anyone?

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Yes within the limits of the law. Varying form state to state there are procedures that store owners must adhere to so that their act of discrimination towards gun owners and such are lawful (even if constitutionally unlawful). Some states require a clear and visible sign on the entrances of their doors stating "No weapons" or "No flash photography".

These stores should have a very good reason for their policy and perhaps a court ruling as to why they should be granted immunity from the Constitution otherwise we could have any business pick and choose which laws they feel like following that day. Slavery anyone?
You are completely mistaken. Any business owner in any state has the incontrovertible right to refuse service to anyone, unless they run afoul of the civil rights act. They don't need a reason, good or bad.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
She has a permit. Thats it. She can do whatever she pleases. If shes not threatening to shoot anyone, then there shouldn't be a problem.
Please give directions to the dream world you recently visited where any of this applies. That would be great if life was like this...it is not.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts