Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Total novice here, still looking for "good" and realistic info on building a storm shelter. After the events of last night which you may or may not of heard. (5 people dead so far from a stage collapse during an outside concert during a storm) I am motivated to build some type of protection for my family.

I have a very limited budget, I have seen all of the pre made 5-55 thousand dollar shelters. Just not going to happen.

Any thoughts on a new smaller septic tank, w/ entry way and put in the ground?

Is there a difference between concrete block and cinder block? I have seen a design that calls for 268 concrete blocks, some drainage tiles ect.

Earth bags? Can you fill them with the dirt you have from your hole? would central Indiana dirt be ok?

Looking for options here.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
your protecting the single most valuable thing you have, your family. I would under no circumstance fill them with dirt. look into ICF forms. If you do the work yourself, you might be surprised how cheap you can do it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i really dont know much about it .but from what i read, earth bags are filled w/dirt/clay and once hardens and inplace under ground, its said to be able to stop most small arms. but again i am just going off the net info, so please feel free to give any info and or tips.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts