Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Curious Cat
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the Senate has revised the rescue bill to help protect all of us “too stupid to understand” main street taxpayers. The following is one of the lovely additions to the bill that will help me to sleep at night. NOT!!
VW

From page 300 of the revised ‘‘Emergency Economic Stabilization Act of 2008’’.

SEC. 503. EXEMPTION FROM EXCISE TAX FOR CERTAIN
WOODEN ARROWS DESIGNED FOR USE BY
CHILDREN.

(a) IN GENERAL.—Paragraph (2) of section 4161(b)
is amended by redesignating subparagraph (B) as sub301
paragraph (C) and by inserting after subparagraph (A)
the following new subparagraph:

‘‘(B) EXEMPTION FOR CERTAIN WOODEN
ARROW SHAFTS.—Subparagraph (A) shall not
apply to any shaft consisting of all natural
wood with no laminations or artificial means of
enhancing the spine of such shaft (whether sold
separately or incorporated as part of a finished
or unfinished product) of a type used in the
manufacture of any arrow which after its as-
sembly—
‘‘(i) measures 5⁄16 of an inch or less in
diameter, and
‘‘(ii) is not suitable for use with a bow
described in paragraph (1)(A).’’.
(b) EFFECTIVE DATE.—The amendments made by
this section shall apply to shafts first sold after the date
of enactment of this Act.

Full Text of the revised bill.
http://online.wsj.com/public/resources/documents/senatebillAYO08C32_xml.pdf

·
Watchin tha world go by
8,151 Posts
it is really pathetic when a lobby for -childrens wooden arrows - has enough clout to shape a bill.

wonder who's amendment that was?
be interesting to know, and if i was their campaign opponent - it would be a great ad.

Reactions: Dwind

·
Registered
45 Posts
it is really pathetic when a lobby for -childrens wooden arrows - has enough clout to shape a bill.

be interesting to know, and if i was their campaign opponent - it would be a great ad.
Not nessesarly. Congress as a whole has a LOW approval rateing, so did the first US congress, so has every congress in between. Yet in their home states congressmen and woman always do very well, why is that? PORK. If I keep makeing you a ton of money with my pork barrel legislation, you have no reason to not re-vote me in, shure we always hate it when we see that other state doing it, but the moment it brings profits back home nobody wants to say anything.

If there is a problem with the system, it is that the common man is willing to overlook something wrong to gain for himself, and his officials are willing to encourage this.

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
If there is a problem with the system, it is that the common man is willing to overlook something wrong to gain for himself, and his officials are willing to encourage this.
Sad but true.

·
Destroyer of Ignorance
2,988 Posts

What's really scary is that the "wooden arrow" industry has more power than the people who these A$$holes are supposed to represent. It would be a terrible thing if more than one politician were to wake up with a wooden arrow shaft in a most uncomfortable place.

But let's not ignore sec. 504, which taxes settlements from the Exxon Valdez spill as if the recipient were a fishing business

OR

sec. 325, which suspends the duty tax on wool

OR

sec. 45Q, which puts in place carbon credits

OR

how about the fact that far more of this bill is spent on revising the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 than is spent on addressing the actual bail out.

Reactions: VW.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts