Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just droping in to give my review on this machete i used over my week vacation in the North Georgia mountains. While i was up i stopped my buddies job where he works as a taxidermist, well he had this professional 3 stone blade sharpener and fixed up both my Cold Steel Bushman and the Two Handed Machete i took up with me.

After he finished up working them over...took some time to with the carbon steel these knives comes with.....i was able to easily shave my hair off :D

The test was when i was out camping, i needed some firewood to light up the night and headed out into the woods. Found two pine trees, both being around 17' tall and with trunks around 7 and 8" wide. After taking both down and taking limbs off and making small work of various small trees and brush to stock the fire with i called it a night. Now i wasn't easy on this blade one bit, i dragged both trees with it...letting it take a good bite and using the handle to pull it while it being sideways. Never took a new form or dulled it one bit....as the next morning i picked it up out of the truck bed where i had thrown it and tested it on my arm once again....low and behold it still shaved the arm hair off!

Now the price on it was 14$ online, best cash i ever spent on anythng...and i'm buying 3 more just for safe keeping in the garage, both truck box's and camper. I didn't fully test the Bushman as it only did easy work on all the trout i caught :D but I feel confident with it on my belt while out in the bush.

·
aka Mental Avenger
5,455 Posts
Which machete did you buy? Cold Steel has Katana Machete, Panga Machete, Kukri Machete, and one just called machete in two handed versions. I liked the Kukri and Katana models.

·
aka Mental Avenger
5,455 Posts
Because of this thread, I decided to buy a machete. I bought a single handed Cold Steel Kukri machete at a local store. It came with a rudimentary edge, so I sharpened it first. I used it to trim all the sucker branches off my cottonwood trees. I also used it to hack off some larger branches including a few on the white oak tree. It worked very well.

I think that having the mass of the blade further out on the blade is what makes the kukri so effective. I like the balance, the shape, and the angle of the blade.

This machete has a medium carbon blade, so it probably won’t hold an edge like high carbon steel. I think they did that to make the blade more flexible and less likely to break, especially considering the thinness of the blade.

Over all, I like it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Glad to hear the review helped you! My machete didn't come with much of an edge either, my first time useing it was on a brazillian pepper tree here in florida. Did the job and I was satisfied at the time, wasn't till the edge got put on that i realized the durability it was capable of.

Jungatheart is right about the 10$ off, that was how i purchased it along with the bushman. I always look out for the coupons from Midway as they are hard to pass up on items like these.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.