Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is a review of the Maxpedition Falcon II.

About 6 weeks ago I got my son Korey a Maxpedition Falcon II. When I was 15, I wish I had a pack like this. Instead, I had a backpack that was just a little bigger then a 2 shoe boxes put side by side.

The intended use for this pack is for warm - hot weather hiking and over night camping trips. And for that, I think its going to fit the bill perfectly.

maxpedition-falcon-ii-001.JPG

Specs:
1520 cu. in. / 25L capacity
Will hold up to a 100 oz water bladder
Sternum Strap
Waist Belt
YKK zippers
and a lot more features.

maxpedition-falcon-ii-002.JPG

The main compartment is a panel loader. This is for people that like to organize things. As compared to hikers that like top loaders. Top loaders are usually the "stomp on it until it fits type", while panel loaders are organizers.

The Maxpedition Falcon II is an excellent choice for day hikes or warm - hot weather over night camping trips. The bottom of the pack has built in cinch straps, there is a smaller outer pocket for gps, compass and other small items. The medium sized out pouch is just right for maps, snacks, first aid kit. The main compartment is big enough for 2 MREs, poncho, hammock, poncho liner and a few other small items.

maxpedition-falcon-ii-003.jpg

Not only is the Falcon II just right for a day hike - over night camping trip, its expandable. There are MOLLE attachment points all over the place. In the included pictures there are 2 - 1 quart military canteens in the Maxpedition canteen covers. One of the canteens has a stainless steel canteen cup in the pouch.

maxpedition-falcon-ii-004.jpg

·
Really?
16,125 Posts
Looks good.... I like the canteens attachment. I wonder what makes it "hot weather", 'cause I tell ya, in the Summer, anything against me is sweat and chafiing. I wish I could walk my pack along side me, like a child or a dog.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wonder what makes it "hot weather", 'cause I tell ya, in the Summer, anything against me is sweat and chafiing. I wish I could walk my pack along side me, like a child or a dog.
The warm - hot weather bag is what I say my son and I use the pack for. There is not enough room to carry extra clothing, and the pack is not really big enough to strap a 0 degree sleeping bag to.

The bottom straps are big enough to strap a sleeping pad to, or something like a fleece blanket. But a heavy - cold weather bag might be a tight fit.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
I like the neat, tight organization it gives you.

Wal-Mart carries the Rubbermaid box (16 3/4" x 10 x 3) if you want some rigidity and airtight/watertight storage for food. Been using it for a while and it's great. $9.00.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Maxpedition Falcon II EDC/Get-Home-Bag

I use the Maxpedition Falcon II as my carry to work bag. I take the train to work, which is about 20 miles from my house. If, God forbid, we had some infrastructure damaging event and I had to hike home I wanted a bag that I could count on and have it for years to come. The Falcon II is perfect for that. I always keep a MRE, some snacks, a small first aid kit, some survival tools (whistle, knife, flashlight, stormproof matches, a rain poncho, extra long shoe laces, etc.), my wallet and all my personal items. I have an umbrella attached to the side and a Nalgene bottle attached to the other side. I have a light jacket rolled and strapped to the bottom. With my lunch for work included it runs about 18 to 19 pounds.
But I know that bag will get me home and it is one that my grandson will one day be carrying around with him long after I'm gone, they're built that tough.

Great review Kev!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts