Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Founder
16,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Review of the Maxpedition Falcon II Pygmy. Its an outstanding pack for day hikes or light weight overnight camping trips.

Some of the specs from the maxpedition website

* Dimension: 18"(H) x 9.5"(W) x 5.5"(D) Main Compartment
* 12"(H) x 7.5"(W) x 2.75"(D) Front Pouch
* 12"(H) x 7.5"(W) Slip Pocket
* Capacity: 1400 cu. in. / 23 liters
* Hydration: Two side pouches for 1L Nalgene
* Support: 1in Adjustable Sternum Strap
* Optional Accessories: Grimloc Carabiner
* Empty Weight: 36.9 oz.

Some of the things I really like about this pack, the Paracord zipper pulls and its just big enough for my warm weather camping gear.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Good review. I think it's perfect for a day pack and it's HD. No belt, padded straps and thoughtful design that allows a decent amount of water without the Camelback.

I like the elastic below the pocket. It's a daypack afterall. Straps would allow more gear but then people would be tempted to overload it. A coat, waders, rod tube and other stuff tucks right in there.

Everything I put in my packs, especially for survival, BOB, GHB, and fishing/hunting is either waterproof itself, or it is stored in a WP container, box or bag. Crush proof is preferable. Adds weight and bulk but I hate it when my stuff gets wet or mashed.

·
Registered
404 Posts
KEV: you should look into a smaller form factor FAK. The tupperware seems like you have added extra weight and extra volume that are unneeded. Adventuremedicalkits.com has some cheap FAKs that have most of the items you carry, in a small (their ultralight series) waterproof casing.
I agree with you that the lower elastic webbing isn't necessary, but this maxpedition pack beats the heck out of my rolypoly extreme. I doubt the owner would allow me to do an exchange though since I bought my unit a month ago. (Actually I shouldn't have waited a month to test my pack, but thats my fault I guess).
Things I like about this PYGMY:
1: the ability to carry 32 oz Nalgene bottles
2: the side PALS

Things I don't like about this PYGMY:
1: the silly lower webbing
2: the size needs to be about 500 cu inches bigger.
3: lack of significant internal organization in the main compartment. (I could use some internal attachment mounts for common bags, admin panels, or what-have-you).

All in all it appears to be a good pack, and a good review. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
The tupperware seems like you have added extra weight and extra volume that are unneeded. Adventuremedicalkits.com has some cheap FAKs that have most of the items you carry, in a small (their ultralight series) waterproof casing.

2: the size needs to be about 500 cu inches bigger.
Why buy a med kit made by someone else if you know what you need and can assemble it yourself?

Why suggest he reduce his weight/items/tupperware in the pack and then wish for 500 cu inches more room. You are wishing for the Condor or even Falcon II Backpack, which is what the Pygmy is based on.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Why buy a med kit made by someone else if you know what you need and can assemble it yourself?

Why suggest he reduce his weight/items/tupperware in the pack and then wish for 500 cu inches more room. You are wishing for the Condor or even Falcon II Backpack, which is what the Pygmy is based on.
incorrect. the two you mentioned do not have the nifty side pouches for my nalgene 32oz bottles. This one does. That makes it a WIN and the others a No GO. Now if they could just make it a bit bigger...

As for the FAK, homemade FAKs are ok, but putting them in Tupperware is a huge waste of space in my opinion. AMK offers a tiny waterproof bag which can hold all the stuff in the OP's loadout. In a small bag like this (again it needs another 500cu inches or so) space counts and BigSal says "DONT WASTE SPACE"! :thumb:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts