Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Founder
16,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is a true story that happened a couple of years ago on the last weekend of deer season.

About 5:30 AM in the morning, a hunter is on the way to his newly relocated tree stand. The area was a prime location for bagging this years buck. The stand over looked a creek, about 30 yards from a crossing spot. The whole area was filled with oaks - pen oak, red oak and water oak.

A couple of days before, a cold front had blown through. The wind was going to be calm, and the stands location was going to be down wind from the crossing.

The day before the hunt, the winds had shifted so that the tree climbing stand would now be downwind of where the deer were crossing the creek. Everything was perfect, the weather, the wind, the location - everything.

The hunter is walking along the trail, using a 2 cell AA flashlight to find his way. Then the unthinkable happens, his flashlight goes out - NNNOOOOO!!!! The hunter thinks he can find his way to the stand in the dark, but just winds up stumbling around. So finally he sits down, gives up finding his stand and waits till sunrise. Needless to say the hunter did not see a single thing that day, well except for some squirrels. That hunter was me - Kevin the owner of this site.

How can you, the reader help prevent this story from happening to you? The next time you are in the market for a new flashlight, look at an LED, not an old fashion bulbed flashlight. What happened that fateful morning, the bulb went out right when I needed it the most. So when my wife asked me what I wanted for fathers day, I told her an LED flashlight - she bought me a Brinkman LED flashlight
DSC03052.JPG

This is a Brinkman Model 809-2050-0, it uses three AAA batteries for a run time of 70 hours. A hunter can make a lot of trips to the deer stand with 70 hours of light. All three batteries are held inside a module, that slips inside the rear of the flashlight.
DSC03060.JPG

The on - off switch is the black bulb on the rear of the flashlight. Because of the housing being made out of ABS plastic, the flashlight is both light and tough. Both ends have O-ring seals to help keep moisture out. The flashlight fits well in the hand. The on off switch on the rear is a nice change to the button being on the side, or the twist head type. The on - off switch also has a half - on. Just push the button just a little and the light will come on, release and the light goes off. Or push the button all the way and the light will stay on, push again to turn off.
DSC03068.JPG

With the LED instead of a bulb, you can be almost certain that this flashlight will not burn out on you when you need it the most. Brinkman claims the bulb will last over 100,000 hours - thats a long time.
DSC03069.JPG

Bottom Line: I like this flashlight; it fits good to the hand, the push button switch is nice. The only complaint, there is no where to attach a lanyard. To fix the lanyard problem, after this story was written I tied some cord around the handle and made a lanyard.

LED flashlights are the "in" thing. With battery life 10 times that of a normal flashlight, there is no reason not to buy LED. Sure, the prices are still a little high, but the cost of the batteries will off set that. The flashlight in this article puts out almost enough light to take it night time rabbit hunting. There are even replacement LED bulbs for maglights, both AA and the bigger D size units.
DSC03066.JPG

·
Welcome to reality
43 Posts
A Surefire G2 nitrolon with the Bugoutgear.com Led module is my tough LED flashlight. I also have a Brinkman maxfire LED ($20.00) and i was at a ****'s sporting goods the other day and they have for forty bucks some very nice Dorcy lights that claim 100 lumens.. LED is definately the way to go..

·
Take me out to the black
3,030 Posts
+1 On the LED lights!!!

I have two Inova lights, the X5 with 5 small 5mm LEDs and an X0 with one 3 watt LED and I absolutely love both of them.

They take 123cell Lithium batteries but they have great life and an almost tear inducing beautiful round, artifact free beam throw.

The X0 is almost as bright as my Surefire 6P incadescent but gets much longer battery life.

Plus once the batteries start to go out on the X0 I can swap them out to the X5 for a few more weeks of full power use before they die for good.

I think the average life on the X0 batts is about 8hrs full power then dim for I don't know how many hrs (that's when I switch them over to the X5).

On a new set of batts the X5 can run for a good 20hrs before the light starts to dim.

I'm REALLY wanting one of those 220 lumen 2hr runtime LED conversions for the 6P from Malkoff.... talk about a death star beam. lol

www.malkoffdevices.com

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have to agree that the LED lights beat the old bulb lights hands down.

For traveling/working in the dark, I prefer a head light to a hand held flashlight - but always have the handheld on me as well.

Redundancy never hurts.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I love those flashlights. I was introduced to the LED flashlight in Iraq. A lot of men started carrying them because they were smaller and more compact then a regular flashlight, but they produced a lot more light. I found that great.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm a big fan of flashlight.My favorite flashlight for hunting is LED Flashlight Xeccon H10. This model Xeccon H10 is one of the pocket and tactical LED flashlight, mainly use it for hunting

·
Registered
12 Posts
Cree T6 Bicycle Light S6

The Xeccon S6 is a new powerful Cree T6 bicycle light with a output of 1800 lumens, the head is fitted three LED bulbs in the head, one Cree XM-L T6 LED, two pieces of Cre XP-E R2 LEDs. There are three brightness levels, first level: only one Cree XM-L T6 LED lights offers a output of 1400 lumens, second level: two Cree XP-E R2 providing 400 lumens, third level: all three LED light with a max output of 1800 lumens. The LED bike light is powered by 8.4v 6400mAh rechargeable battery to provide a long time standby, the easy control switch button design make the light very human.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Diving Torch D2X

Highly welcome the latest super diving torch D2X, who is specialized for professional diving or the other under water activities. To have a perfect beam under high depth water, XECCON D2X diving torch is fitted with the quality CREE T6 LED bulb, which can have more than three times output of the CREE R5, so, the actual of this diving flashlight can come to 1000 lumens, this number can totally meet your lighting requirement when you are diving.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts